Car Talk

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
We all have car issues. Good, bad, new cars and everything else can go here.

Vroom Vroom.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So I'm currently sitting in Al Hendrickson Toyota to get an oil change and a few other things. While here I found out I need like a grand worth of work on the thing. I guess it should have been expected when buying a 13 year old car. I'm putting $600 worth of work into it now and I'll do the rest at a later date. Gotta make sure the new/old girl will continue to function properly on my new weekly Disney trips. I'm putting like 500 miles per week on the her these days.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
We all have car issues. Good, bad, new cars and everything else can go here.

Vroom Vroom.

demotivational-posters-well-theres-your-problem6.jpg

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
IDK what you're talking about. My grammar is always perfect and I've never posted a typo.

haha, I couldn't resist. I admit your grammar is better then mine.

I don't want to hijack this thread. I know I had issues of being corrected while back ago. But after a while I don't mind being corrected, I just don't want to see it in every post. I admit I do need help, but for some reasons I have issues accepting it.

Now back to to your local derail thread.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
haha, I couldn't resist. I admit your grammar is better then mine.

I don't want to hijack this thread. I know I had issues of being corrected while back ago. But after a while I don't mind being corrected, I just don't want to see it in every post. I admit I do need help, but for some reasons I have issues accepting it.

Now back to to your local derail thread.

Well we don't want to get rick rolled in every post but we put up with it. :p

Reactions: Wolf

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
So I'm currently sitting in Al Hendrickson Toyota to get an oil change and a few other things. While here I found out I need like a grand worth of work on the thing. I guess it should have been expected when buying a 13 year old car. I'm putting $600 worth of work into it now and I'll do the rest at a later date. Gotta make sure the new/old girl will continue to function properly on my new weekly Disney trips. I'm putting like 500 miles per week on the her these days.

Thanks for letting everybody know where you're currently at. I'll call up the dealership and ask for your name on the loud speakers and hopefully they can announce "Koop, your boyfriend is on the phone." :p

Well yea a 13 year old car will have tons of issues. I would do the same thing fix what I can afford here and there.

I don't want to post anything yet, because I don't want to jinx anything. But I'm currently looking at used cars and possibly found something. I'm just waiting for a few things and I will know by end of the week.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Good luck. New/used car shopping can be stressful but also really exciting and fun.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Good luck. New/used car shopping can be stressful but also really exciting and fun.

It wasn't much stressful for me, beside doing research for the right used dealership. I would love new, but I will have to wait a few more years.

I'm working with a pre-approved dealership and I pretty much knew what I was looking for. This used car is only 2 years old with very low mileage. So the vehicle is pretty much mine, I just need to put a little more money down by end of the week and I'll be in a better vehicle.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I finally had a chance to clean the windows inside my car this weekend. I usually do a thorough job of that in the spring and a quick once-over again in the fall.

What a difference it makes.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I refuse to change the oil myself. I don't have a pit or a lift. Getting underneath a Miata on a jack is not my idea of fun. Plus I've known too many people on miata.net who were killed when their cars fell on them.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I refuse to change the oil myself. I don't have a pit or a lift. Getting underneath a Miata on a jack is not my idea of fun. Plus I've known too many people on miata.net who were killed when their cars fell on them.

I hate paying those expensive lube & oil prices and I agree with you. Some people tell me, "Oh you should change your own oil." I try and explain to them, the similar things what meme said and they don't simply understand.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
It wasn't an attack on your masculinity. I was just asking.

I'm fortunate that my vehicle doesn't require a lift, but some redneck engineering.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
My time is worth more to me than the cost of an oil change.
By the time you've bought the oil & filter and farked around doing the work, it's cheaper and faster to have someone else do it. Then you have to deal with recycling the used oil.

That, and the last few times I had tried to change my own oil, I wound up bleeding at least a quart of blood from all of the crap inside the engine compartment that I scraped my hands on. They just don't give you any room to work inside an engine compartment anymore.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Meh, my vehicle is sort of like my life-line. It's a 2007 and I'm religious about doing oil changes myself.

Quality oil and quality filters make a world of difference. When I do it, I know I'm doing it correctly and to specifications. For me, that $25 special with paper filter, makes me too nervous.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
My car has a drop-in filter, which gets torqued into a housing in the engine block. It's sealed with a lid using o-rings. It uses 7 quarts of synthetic oil, but can go 12-15k miles between changes. I have a nephew who's a mechanic, and he only charges for material and disposal.

I did it myself a couple of times in the mid-90s.