Car Talk

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I'm looking for a used truck under $25k, preferably newer than 2013 and needs 4x4.

Aaaaand go!

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
OK so remember this recent "random thread" post?
After years of getting recall notices, I finally brought my car in to get the Takata airbag replaced, and they gave me a brand new BMW X3 for a loaner. It had 25 miles on it. I felt an obligation to take a dash pic for Koop. BTW, it doesn't have any real gauges, all the indicator needles are part of a display screen. Everything about this SUV is just "too much": the size, the tech, the controls, the over-the-top level of equipment. But I'm not (and may never be) in the market for a vehicle anyway.
View attachment 4947
This story continues. Yesterday, my engine sounded like a Cummins diesel, which it's not. I recorded it for my mechanic nephew, and he said "I don't suggest driving it". So AAA towed it over 30 miles to his shop.

He said it was an internal engine thing, probably having to do with the unit that controls the camshaft timing. He says there's a recall for the bolts coming loose. Oddly, the dealer didn't address that recall when it was just there. I call the dealer, and they claim my VIN number does not show this outstanding recall, but the recall notice I pulled-up clearly covers my engine and build date.

So I'm going back and forth about this with BMW service, and then he sees that the entire timing control unit has been given a 10 year extended warranty for all cars, because apparently it goes bad a lot. So now I had AAA pickup the car from my nephew's shop, and tow it 20 miles to the dealer, where it will sit for several days, but eventually get fixed - under warranty.

The service manager thinks I'll probably be reimbursed for the towing (at least some of it). But he's flat out of service loaners, so I'll be bumming rides until this gets fixed. Mrs Scotch is going to Florida this weekend, to visit an aunt, so luckily I'll have her truck to use.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
A BMW dealer out of service loaners? What a shock!

Over on the Miata board, BMW is seen as one of the least reliable brands. The chief criticism of the new Toyota Supra is that it is made by BMW (which farms it out to Magna Steyr).

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
A BMW dealer out of service loaners? What a shock!

Over on the Miata board, BMW is seen as one of the least reliable brands. The chief criticism of the new Toyota Supra is that it is made by BMW (which farms it out to Magna Steyr).
This is the 2nd problem I've had with the VANOS variable valve timing control unit, in the 8 years I've owned the car, and it's the only reliability issue I've had. I haven't had any other problems in 8 years. My previous BMW had the same problem once during the 4 1/2 years I owned it, and it was the only issue. And the previous BMW I had was fairly problem free for the 3 years I had it. I'd say that's extremely reliable for a high tech car.

The cars I've owned are about as basic as possible; most BMWs are bursting with gadetry, and owners demand perfection, hence the reputation for being in the shop.

The Miata comparison is comical. A Miata is about as stripped-down as it gets; there are no BMW models it would even remotely compete with. Many years ago, BMW made a retro car called the Z3, with a 4-cylinder engine. It was still way more upscale than the Miata, but they were in the same ballpark.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
This is the 2nd problem I've had with the VANOS variable valve timing control unit, in the 8 years I've owned the car, and it's the only reliability issue I've had. I haven't had any other problems in 8 years. My previous BMW had the same problem once during the 4 1/2 years I owned it, and it was the only issue. And the previous BMW I had was fairly problem free for the 3 years I had it. I'd say that's extremely reliable for a high tech car.

The cars I've owned are about as basic as possible; most BMWs are bursting with gadetry, and owners demand perfection, hence the reputation for being in the shop.

The Miata comparison is comical. A Miata is about as stripped-down as it gets; there are no BMW models it would even remotely compete with. Many years ago, BMW made a retro car called the Z3, with a 4-cylinder engine. It was still way more upscale than the Miata, but they were in the same ballpark.

I didn't compare anything to a Miata. That's just the opinion I hear on the Miata forums from people who are into cars. They don't blame it on gadgetry, but on poor engineering. I'm glad you've enjoyed your BMWs.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I didn't compare anything to a Miata. That's just the opinion I hear on the Miata forums from people who are into cars. They don't blame it on gadgetry, but on poor engineering. I'm glad you've enjoyed your BMWs.
So Miata forum members are experts on how BMWs are engineered. Got it.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I didn't say anyone was an expert. They're just into cars. I'm sure some of them are experts. No need to get defensive.
No problem, I'm happier than a pig in shit. The service department said that the loose bolts from the VANOS unit ended up in the engine, and had to be accessed from both the top and bottom. So they just replaced my leaking valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket (including many hours of labor) for nothing. I'm good for another 125K miles! :D

Reactions: JHDK and HecticArt

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I had one of these behind me while driving around this weekend. It's a Bentley SUV, called the Bentayga. They start at around $200K, but can go up to $300K.

upload_2019-2-4_8-58-4.png

My question is, what kind of person says "I need a Bentley SUV"?

Reactions: Wolf

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I see couple of Bently's on the highway every now and then. The owner of the company I work for has FU money.

He drives a different car to work every other day. I have seen:

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Rolls Royce
Classic cars and roadsters (I don't know what kind he owns.)
GMC Yukon
and who knows whatever cars he owns.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I see couple of Bently's on the highway every now and then. The owner of the company I work for has FU money.

He drives a different car to work every other day. I have seen:

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Rolls Royce
Classic cars and roadsters (I don't know what kind he owns.)
GMC Yukon
and who knows whatever cars he owns.
This is exactly my point. He's loaded, so he has a variety of vehicles, including a "traditional" Rolls Royce sedan. But when he needs an SUV, he has a GMC Yukon. He doesn't say "I need to combine the capabilities of an SUV and a high-end luxury/performance car into 1 vehicle". That's why the Bentley SUV seems so bizarre to me.

Reactions: Wolf