Car Talk

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I've been reading about and excited for some version of these things for like 10+ years now. I'll believe it when I can go to my local shop and actually have the option to buy them.

They are freaking cool though.

Michelin and GM partner on airless, puncture-proof tire - CNN

190605111931-01-airless-wheel-exlarge-169.jpeg

Here's an article about them from 7 years ago:

Tech Dept.: The Latest on the Airless Tire-and-Wheel Combo - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

They look kinda cool and I bet they will be really expensive.

They may be puncture proof, but I can see some idiot putting things in between the openings to mess up the tire or worst putting chains in between and ripping the tire open.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I've been reading about and excited for some version of these things for like 10+ years now. I'll believe it when I can go to my local shop and actually have the option to buy them.

They are freaking cool though.

Michelin and GM partner on airless, puncture-proof tire - CNN

190605111931-01-airless-wheel-exlarge-169.jpeg

Here's an article about them from 7 years ago:

Tech Dept.: The Latest on the Airless Tire-and-Wheel Combo - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver
Yeah, I'm not so jazzed about this. I know they're not the same as run-flats, but run-flats are double or triple the price, and give the car a harsher ride. So there are always trade-offs.

These look like they won't last long - I mean, how many times can those rubber blades bend and come back 100%? Plus they look like they won't handle or brake well. But what do I know?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm probably going to wind up getting shot one day but I don't care. I managed to be very smugly satisfied with myself on tonight's commute home.

There is a ton of I95 construction on my way to and from work. They are adding lanes and making a new, paid, express lane. Anyway they do the construction at night and I got off tonight at at around 11:15. Once I got on 95 traffic was immediately being all pushed to the far right lane and towards the nearest exit cause it was fully shut down for a stretch. I was in the right lane from the beginning and let a few cars pass and then the same thing that always happens, happened...a bunch of jerks decided to use the right shoulder to speed ahead of all us law abiding citizens.

Tonight I had enough.

I pulled my RAV over so it was 3/4th in the shoulder, blocking all the traffic trying to get past on the right. Oh boy did this make me happy. And the car in front of me too...The passenger rolled down the window and gave me the thumbs up. It was nice.

But man were the jerks mad. They were honking the shit out of me. I did this for about a mile until we all got to the exit. By the time it was all said and done there was a line of about 25 shoulder cars who all had to merge back into the right lane behind me. It was a great way to end my work day.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
If you did that around here, you'd either be shot, or crashed into. Back when I started my job, the 2nd half of my commute required me to take Rt. 3, which is one of the highways that goes straight into Boston. I wasn't taking it that far, but it was only 2 lanes at the time, and driving the shoulder was not allowed. Over the 4 years I did that commute, there were always jerks zooming by everyone in the breakdown lane, and at times, I thought of getting a shit-kicker car, and opening the passenger door from the right lane, right as one was approaching. But I never did.

They eventually widened that highway, but I don't take it to work any more.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Wait wait wait.......

None of the picture I've seen of jesus in the bible ever showed him driving a car.
I don't think any of them even had him in a chariot......

Or are you confusing him with Bono or Charles Manson?
I'm pretty sure that if it was Manson, the rest of the quote said "then follow them home and cut them up into little tiny bits...."

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Wait wait wait.......

None of the picture I've seen of jesus in the bible ever showed him driving a car.
I don't think any of them even had him in a chariot......

He may have been talking about supermarket aisles, but Jesus didn't have to drive a car to know about lane etiquette. He knew everything.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Last time I went to the Toyota place to get my car serviced they came back with a ridiculous sum they wanted to charge me...more than I paid for the car. When I asked them what I need to safely make my Disney trips that bill dropped down to only like $250. This upset me. Coming at me with thousands of dollars just didn't seem right to me so I'm done with Al Hendrickson. It's a shame too. If they had just been more reasonable with their estimates they could have kept me coming back forever. I do like the idea of taking my Toyota to a place just for Toyotas.

A woman at work sings the praises of this place where she goes and loves the owner. It has a silly name but seems to have great reviews across the board. I set up an appointment with them tomorrow. I'm a little under my oil change mileage right now but since I'm back to weekly 400+ mile round trips I thought I should get it looked at sooner than later.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
This 2012 Cruze my sweetie gave me is nice but it has squeeky brakes. I had them replaced recently and it stopped for a few days but now its squeeky again. I heard it has something to do with captured air. I know the car is safe but the sound is really annoying. Especially when I come to a pedestrian stop, it gives the impression I wasn't paying attention and had to make a sudden stop and I'm frustrated that I have to stop by their presence crossing. I'm embarrassed.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
This 2012 Cruze my sweetie gave me is nice but it has squeeky brakes. I had them replaced recently and it stopped for a few days but now its squeeky again. I heard it has something to do with captured air. I know the car is safe but the sound is really annoying. Especially when I come to a pedestrian stop, it gives the impression I wasn't paying attention and had to make a sudden stop and I'm frustrated that I have to stop by their presence crossing. I'm embarrassed.
Are you sure this isn't Melissa from Manhasset? This article I found has nearly a word-for-word replica of your post!
Why do my brakes squeal? - CNN.com

"Dear Tom,
Every time I hit the brake pedal, my brakes make this awful high-pitched squeal. When I stop at a light I get stares from people. It's embarrassing! I just had the brakes done last month, so why are they squealing? Help!
Melissa from Manhasset, New York"

In all seriousness, though, when you have your brakes done, they usually only replace the pads. They should also de-glaze or grind the rotors, and replace or fix anything that's loose, missing, or broken. But they don't, because that takes extra time and money, and most people just want the lowest cost brake replacement. I'd bring it back, like the article says.

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
The other issue I'm having is with my key chain pad. It has the buttons to lock and unlock the doors and trunk. I have a tendency to put my keys in my pocket too soon which must be triggering the unlock button. Many times I come back from a store and see my doors unlocked when I know I locked them. Yesterday at work, I parked the car, started walking to the office, realized I forgot badge, turned around to head back to the car and saw that I accidently unlocked the trunk. I probably would have drained my battery.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
HAHAHA!!!

While Unveiling Tesla's First Pickup Truck Elon Musk Asked People To Try And Break The Truck's Armored Windows, Which They Easily Did (Twice)