Car Talk

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
$2.49 here. I hope I am incorrect but with the XL pipeline shutdown, I can see gas prices hitting 3 bucks a gallon sometime in spring then 3.50 or so by winter. This is not including the possible federal gas tax increase being talked about off and on by the current administration.
Just passed a gas station today, $2.50 for regular. It was $2.30 or so the last time I was out.

I'm confused about your (Keystone) XL reference. I thought it wasn't built yet. But anyway, we don't want gas prices to stay low. The reason they're so low, is we're in a recession, and there's a pandemic going on. So nobody's driving, and people don't have any money.

If the economy recovers, and we get through the pandemic, gas prices will go over $3/gal, which is where it was in 2019. In all honesty, gas has been kept artificially low in the US for decades. If it had gone up the same as the CPI (consumer price index), it would probably be $8/gal. But everyone in Florida (peak elevation 345 ft, and no snow) needs an all-wheel-drive SUV, so we've got to keep gas cheap.

Reactions: semipenguin

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
But everyone in Florida (peak elevation 345 ft, and no snow) needs an all-wheel-drive SUV, so we've got to keep gas cheap.

Hah, the RAV is 4 wheel drive and you can't turn it off. As a result it winds up getting about the same mileage as my dad's old Ford Windstar minivan. And the 2005 RAV is a small SUV, not like the newer ones that are much bigger. My aunt and uncle have a RAV that is much newer and front wheel drive. The old lady I bought it from was originally from Virgina so I guess it makes more sense up there. I know I may be fooling myself into a false sense of security but on the way home from Disney trips in the summer (wet season) it does make me feel a bit safer on the highway to have 4 wheel drive in those crazy thunderstorms we get.

I thought it wasn't built yet

I could be wrong, but I thought some rather large sections of it were already completed.

If only we had something at our fingertips that allowed us to look it up...well, I guess we'll never know for sure. Maybe I'll check Encarta later on tonight. I haven't fired up those CD-ROMS in a while.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
If only we had something at our fingertips that allowed us to look it up...well, I guess we'll never know for sure. Maybe I'll check Encarta later on tonight. I haven't fired up those CD-ROMS in a while.
I need Memebag to use his sarcastic, condescending way to guilt me into googling it, otherwise, I don't care enough. But logically speaking, if Biden is halting work on it, it must not be done and in-use yet, right?

Reactions: JHDK

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I believe the Keystone XL pipeline is new. The Keystone pipeline (no fancy letters) is existing. The USA will continue to buy Alberta oil and ship it via train and truck to Texas as they are doing now. Or they will buy non-Canadian oil from the Arabs shipped in ultra safe oil takers (like the Exon Valdez). Life will go on. But just wait until you try to sell us something that we don't need. Then we will show you.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Fair arguments in the previous comments here concerning the pipeline. I have read articles both ways concerning its affect on gas prices. The bummer is the loss of jobs.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's how they time it. They say when should we increase? I hear Hectic is going to gas up on Friday so let's jack it up on Thursday.
Gas went up 30 cents overnight. Just in time for me to fill up.
It'll drop 25 cents on Monday, just because I won't need to fill up for a couple of weeks.