Celebrity Death Thread 2020

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Karlen also appeared in multiple episodes of Kojak, Snoops, Barnaby Jones, Quincy M.E., Bay City Blues, Hill Street Blues, Murder She Wrote, Mad About You, The Doctors, Police Story and other series.

John Karlen, Emmy-winning actor in Dark Shadows
and Cagney & Lacey, dies at 86

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Karlen appeared in 179 episodes of Dark Shadows as, variously, Kendrick Young, Desmond Collins, Carl Collins and Willie Loomis and played Harvey Lacey on 124 episodes of Cagney & Lacey. He also played a minister in an episode of The Waltons and appeared as Mike Stivic's co-worker Leo in the 1977 "Mike Goes Skiing" episode of All In The Family:

1579821715731.png

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Among the many Broadway and off-Broadway plays and musicals Lion produced are Mnemonic, The Crucible, The Wedding Singer, The Garden Of Earthly Delights, Triumph Of Love, I Hate Hamlet, Jelly's Last Jam (about ragtime pianist and singer Jelly Royal Morton), Catch Me If You Can and Angels In America: Millennium Approaches. Combined, her productions have won a total of 20 Tony awards.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Reacting to the news of Kobe's death, Doc Rivers broke down in tears. Magic Johnson said, "I'm in disbelief. I've been crying all morning. It's hard to accept. Kobe was a leader of our game, a mentor to both male and female players." Kareem tweeted, "Most people will remember Kobe as the magnificent athlete who inspired a whole generation of basketball players. But I will always remember him as a man who was much more than an athlete." Here is the story from ABC News:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
If someone goes naturally you can kind of understand. This is hard to take, much less understand. Also why you'll never catch me on a helicopter, ever!
I’m not afraid to fly in a helicopter, but if I ever get famous, that’ll change.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Kobe joins a sad list that includes Stevie Ray Vaughan, country singer Troy Gentry, music promoter Bill Graham, NASCAR driver Davey Allison, rally driver Colin McRae and Walt Disney Company president Frank Wells.

The Orange County Register is reporting that today's helicopter crash also claimed the lives of John Altobelli, his wife Keri and daughter Alyssa. Altobelli was an assistant baseball coach at the University of Houston in 1987 and was beginning his 24th season as head baseball coach at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa. Altobelli had won four state titles. He was 56.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
In October 2018, Kobe Bryant appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live and talked about his four daughters. He was proud that Gianna was hoping to follow in his footsteps – figuratively, not literally – and join the WNBA.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
If someone goes naturally you can kind of understand. This is hard to take, much less understand. Also why you'll never catch me on a helicopter, ever!

I guess I won't send you and Evil Ernie your gift cards for a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon.

Hawaii volcano?

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA

Burns played Deputy Warren Ferguson on 11 episodes of The Andy Griffith Show, wrote 24 episodes of The Muppet Show and was the announcer on the 1980-82 sketch comedy show Fridays. Burns and comedy partner Avery Schreiber were well-known for their taxi routines: "Take me to the Hotel Astor, room 413." "They stop me on the third floor." "Oh, yeah yeah yeah." Here is one of their routines from a 1974 Burns & Schrieber Comedy Hour:

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Robert Schoen – he used the phonetic spelling Shane – formed the Kingston Trio in 1957 in San Francisco with Dave Guard and Nick Reynolds. Their name represented Kingston, Jamaica, home of then-popular calypso music. The Kingston Trio's hits include Tom Dooley, M.T.A., Greenback Dollar, A Worried Man, Desert Pete, The Tijuana Jail and The Reverend Mr. Black. At the first Grammy Awards ceremony in May 1959, Tom Dooley won for "Best Country & Western Performance," even though the song never appeared on the country chart. Go figure! The Kingston Trio also had 14 top-ten albums and five number ones. Shane was the last surviving original member.

Kingston Trio co-founder Bob Shane dies at 85