Cinemagic Programming

Discussion in 'Jazz, Blues, Standards, Ambient' started by SIRIUSaboutXM, Aug 31, 2012.

1. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

[​IMG]
    "Everybody loves the movies," says program director Dave Z. "But most people don't realize how movie music becomes part of our lives. Think of the classic score for Jaws. That 'shark' theme has become the international symbol for menace."

On Cinemagic, Dave is striking a balance between the behind-the-scenes reality of filmmaking and the entertainment value of movies, music, and gossip. "Nothing on the channel will be effete or academic," he insists. "But our regular listeners are going to be among the best-informed moviegoers around."

From Dave Ziemer:
    "I have a question for those of you who listen to Cinemagic. I'm thinking of having a huge A-Z score celebration throughout the month of September. The idea is to feature every cue in the Cinemagic library and play them from A to Z, based on their title (need to do that way due to legal obligations). Apart from Reel Times, which would air at their normal times, this would be the only programming for the month, or at least until we feature all of the cues. That being said, would you be ok with this celebration or would you turn off Cinemagic until it was over? I'm just curious..." https://www.facebook.com/CinemagicSiriusXM
  2. SIRIUSaboutXM

Looks like we'll have Halloween music early this year- Halloween Horror Festival may start on Oct 1st

3. SIRIUSaboutXM

Dave Ziemer A-Z Update!

We'll be hitting the "Main Title" stage of the celebration Tuesday afternoon to early evening. This will essentially go through most of the day on Wednesday. All in all, close to 24 hours of "Main Title" or "Main Credits" cues. I hope everyone is enjoying it.
  4. sjam613

sjam613 Member

I had never heard Cinemagic until researching and seeing how many people are upset with it only being online. Gave it a try and really enjoy it. Usually have it playing during the day on my Squeezebox Touch.
  5. SIRIUSaboutXM

6. SIRIUSaboutXM

For a great pre- Thanksgiving treat, use your Start Now feature on Cinemagic and go back to 9am for a special Popflix- they're doing a whole hour of tracks for the Austin Powers movies. Great stuff from Quincy Jones, Cardigans, Lightening Seeds, Nancy Sinatra, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Johnny Rivers, Burt Bacharach, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, James Taylor Quartet, Fantastic Plastic Machine, The Monkees, Bangles, Walter Wanderley, Dr. Evil, Foxxy Cleopatra and ELO- What great variety from perhaps the best Popflix ever!
  7. SIRIUSaboutXM

Holiday Programming!

The Thanksgiving holiday is upon us and we have a few great specials lined up for you once again this year. Check them out if you get a chance.

***ON THE SCORE***
    Daniel talks to those responsible for the amazing Star Trek The Original Series Television Score box set from La-La Land Records (which is due out Dec 4th). It's a great conversation with a lot of amazing insight into what goes on to create a mammoth set like this one (15 CD's and over 17 hours of music)
    Airing:
    Wed 11pm EST
    Fri 7pm EST
    Sun 9pm EST

***REEL TIME (RISE OF THE GUARDIANS)***
    Dave Z Talks to director Peter Ramsey and Executive Producer Guillermo del Toro about the latest film from Dreamworks Animation. They discuss a wide range of topics including the score from Alexadre Desplat.
    Airing:
    Wed 10pm EST
    Fri 4pm EST
    Sat/Sun 8am & 8pm EST

***THE BOND BONANZA***
    This Thanksgiving it's Cinemagic's annual Bond Bonanza. That's 24 hours of nothing but music from the bond films.
    Airing:
    All day on Thanksgiving

***Thematic Friday Celebration (John Williams)***
    This Friday Cinemagic celebrates the world of score music by focusing on the work of the great John Williams. It's 16 hours of the music of John Williams and only John Williams.
    Airing:
    Friday from Midnight to 4pm EST

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Dave Z
  8. SIRIUSaboutXM

New for this week on Cinemagic (only half a week late...sorry)

*Reel Time (Paranorman)*
    Thur 11pm ET
    In this repeat Reel Time Dave Z talks to co-director's Sam Fell and Chris Butler about the stop motion animated film Paranorman, which is now available on Blu-Ray and DVD. Repalys: Fri 4pm; Sat/Sun 8am & 8pm ET

*On The Score*
    Fri 7pm ET
    Daniel talks to composer Mychael Danna about the brilliant score to the Ang Lee film Life of Pi. It's an interesting interview and well worth checking out. Replay: Sun 9pm ET

*Thematic Friday (Danny Elfman)*
    Fri Midnight - 4pm ET
    Continuing our Thematic Friday composer spotlight, this week Cinemagic will feature 16 hours of music from composer Danny Elfman.
  9. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Wish This was still on Satellite side. I want to stack up hours of replay content of this channel.
  10. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Also, 16 hours of Danny Elfman composed music? I am definitely setting a reminder for this.
  11. SIRIUSaboutXM

Most of it is On Demand
  12. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Cool. Although still not ideal for me since..well, I can't stream ondemand on the bus.
  13. SIRIUSaboutXM

Oh yes you can! All Reel Time shows are available for download- go to On Demand > Channels > Stars Too > Reel Time
  14. SIRIUSaboutXM

Reel Time Episodes available

Reel Time (Paranorman)
    Duration: 01:00:15 | Expires in 34 Days | Aired 11/30 9:00PM EST
    Dave Z talks to co-directors Sam Fell and Chris Butler about their film Paranorman, which is now available on Blu-Ray and DVD. They discuss a wide range of topics including the origins of the story, paying tribute to the classic horror films from the 80's, the technological advancements in the field of stop-motion animation and why they chose compsoer Jon Brion to write the music for the film.

Reel Time (Rise of the Guardians)
    Duration: 01:00:14 | Expires in 27 Days | Aired 11/23 9:00PM EST
    Dave Z talks to director Peter Ramsey and Executive Producer Guillermo del Toro about their newest film, Rise of the Guardians. They discuss a wide range of topics including the task of creating a sense of wonder and discovery within the film, not being afraid to include darker images and themes and the decision to go with a stylized reality for the visuals.

Reel Time (Toy Story 3)
    Duration: 01:00:46 | Expires in 20 Days | Aired 11/16 9:00PM EST
    Dave Z talks to Toys 3 director Lee Unkrich and Producer Darla K. Anderson about Toy Story 3. They discuss a wide range of topics including bringing the story around full circle, how color was used within the film and the music of composer Randy Newman.

Reel Time (The Amazing Spider-Man)
    Duration: 01:00:31 | Expires in 13 Days | Aired 11/9 9:00PM EST
    Dave Z and Mark Says Hi talk to director Marc Webb about his newest film, The Amazing Spider-Man. They discuss a wide range of topics including the challenge of retelling an origin story, his theory on subjectivity, the decision to keep the film grounded and the choice of James Horner as the composer for the film.

Reel Time (Flight - director Robert Zemeckis)
    Duration: 01:00:06 | Expires in 6 Days | Aired 11/2 9:00PM EST
    Dave Z talks to Academy Award winning director Robert Zemeckis (Back to the Future, Forrest Gump, Cast Away) about his newest film Flight, which stars Denzel Washington. They discuss a myriad of topics including challenge of dealing with a main character who has a certain moral ambiguity, the process of finding the visual language to addiction, as well as his working relationship with his long time composer Alan Silvestri.
  15. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]

We'll be featuring cues from the score to The Hobbit by Howard Shore starting today. You can catch select cues at 2pm & 6pm ET this Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
  16. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]

Les Miserables (Tom Hooper)

I'll be interviewing Academy Award winning director Tom Hooper (The King's Speech, The Damned United) for his newest film Les Miserables on Monday for an upcoming edition of Reel Time. If you have any questions you would like me to ask him, please post them here https://www.facebook.com/CinemagicSiriusXM and I'll try to fit them into the interview. Dave
  17. SIRIUSaboutXM

This week on Cinemagic...

***On The Score***
    Daniel talks to Alexandre Desplat about the myriad of scores he composed this year including Argo, Zero Dark Thirty and Moonrise Kingdom.

Airing:
    Wed 11am & 11pm EST
    Fri 7pm EST
    Sun 9pm EST

***Reel Time (Brave)***
    This weeks edition of Reel Time Dave Z talks to director Mark Andrews about the Pixar film Brave, which is now available on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Airing:
    Thur 11am & 11pm ET
    Fri 4pm EST
    Sat/Sun 8am & 8pm EST

***Thematic Friday***
    This Friday we continue our composer spotlight by featuring the music of Howard Shore. Included will be his early work with director David Cronenberg all the way to his latest score for The Hobbit.

Airing:
    Friday from Midnight to 4pm EST
  18. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]

Cinemagic Update!

Sorry I've been MIA this week with updates. Somehow, I underestimated the effects of getting a plate and 6 screws inserted into my leg and how it would essentially knock me out. That being said, here's a rundown of what's coming up in Cinemagic over the next few days.

*Thematic Friday*
    We're celebrating composers of the future with several hours of scores composed by Alexandre Desplat and Michael Giacchino.

*Reel Time*
    Seth Gordon stops by (from a studio in LA) to talk about his newest film, Identity Thief, which is out in theaters now.

*Tuesday 2/12*
    We celebrate the release of Skyfall on DVD/BLU-RAY by featuring the Bond Bonanza all day long. It's nothing but music from all of the bond films.

*On the Score (next week)*
    Daniel brings you an excellent interview with composer Bear McCreary where they go over much of his work including Caprica and The Walking Dead.

Have a great weekend everyone. Dave Z
  19. SIRIUSaboutXM

New on Cinemagic! - Classic Movie Summer!
    All summer long, Cinemagic plays nothing but the greatest film music from the Golden Age of Cinema - from the 30's and classics like Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz and Gone With The Wind...to the 1970's legendary films like The Godfather, The Sting, and more.