Coffee

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I lied about not driving for a few days. Publix has Gevalia K-Cups as a BOGO this week so I had to stock up. They are usually expensive at $9.26 for a 12 pack or $0.77/cup. With the BOGO it drops them down to $0.38/cup which is much more reasonable. I got 10 boxes so I should be good for awhile.

This one is my favorite:

1594998071249.png

I'm a fan of the dark or bold roast K-Cups.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Perhaps that stuff is good, but in general, K-cups are the fast-food of coffee. We use the Cuisinart on-demand drip coffee maker. It does up to 12 cups, but the reservoir is internal, so you can pour single-serve cups without using a glass carafe. And the best regional coffee roasters are in a bordering town just north of us. We get a 5 lb bag every month or so.

1595000525503.png

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Meme talked a lot about coffee in his "Loves" thread but I can't seem to find a dedicated coffee thread.

So here's one.

View attachment 6383

That's a nice photo.

I lied about not driving for a few days. Publix has Gevalia K-Cups as a BOGO this week so I had to stock up. They are usually expensive at $9.26 for a 12 pack or $0.77/cup. With the BOGO it drops them down to $0.38/cup which is much more reasonable. I got 10 boxes so I should be good for awhile.

This one is my favorite:

View attachment 6384

I'm a fan of the dark or bold roast K-Cups.
The K-cups will do, but like Scotch said, not the best. I'll use Keurig on Saturday when I'm probably only going to have a cup or two and don't want to hassle with brewing a full pot. (Sundays I usually drink tea when I'm home.)

We've got one of these Cuisinart's that I use during the week. You see this model in pretty much every TV show.

I brew 10 cups in the morning. I drink 5 while I'm grabbing a bite to eat and reading the DRC before I leave for work, and take a mug with the rest with me to work.

Perhaps that stuff is good, but in general, K-cups are the fast-food of coffee. We use the Cuisinart on-demand drip coffee maker. It does up to 12 cups, but the reservoir is internal, so you can pour single-serve cups without using a glass carafe. And the best regional coffee roasters are in a bordering town just north of us. We get a 5 lb bag every month or so.

View attachment 6385
5 pounds a month? I think I go through about a pound a month.
Damn.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I love the smell of coffee. As a kid I remember in the grocery store going down the aisle with the coffee grinder and just soaking up the smell (before they invented vacuum sealed containers). When I had my first cup I was expecting to be delighted and blown away. I was not. Can't stand it. Too this day.

Still love the smell.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I love the smell of coffee. As a kid I remember in the grocery store going down the aisle with the coffee grinder and just soaking up the smell (before they invented vacuum sealed containers). When I had my first cup I was expecting to be delighted and blown away. I was not. Can't stand it. Too this day.

Still love the smell.
My father-in-law was a pipe smoker, that's a similar thing. Lots of non-smokers liked the aroma.

Reactions: goreds2

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
That's a nice photo.

The K-cups will do, but like Scotch said, not the best. I'll use Keurig on Saturday when I'm probably only going to have a cup or two and don't want to hassle with brewing a full pot. (Sundays I usually drink tea when I'm home.)

We've got one of these Cuisinart's that I use during the week. You see this model in pretty much every TV show.

I brew 10 cups in the morning. I drink 5 while I'm grabbing a bite to eat and reading the DRC before I leave for work, and take a mug with the rest with me to work.

5 pounds a month? I think I go through about a pound a month.
Damn.
We do a 10-cup pot every morning. And maybe one or two nights a week, people are over and we do a pot in the evening, although I don't drink it at night.

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
My favorite is a local brand called Parisi - they sell a big bag at a decent price at Costco, so I'm lucky there.

I only have 1 cup every morning with breakfast ( any more than that, & I kinda morph into a psychopath ), so I use the basket that came with our coffeemaker ( which is ancient ). I heat up the water in the microwave, & then pour it into the basket which sits on top of my cup.

Imagine my surprise when one day a few years back I saw coffee nerd doing the same thing & referring to it as "pour over". I realized "Holy crap...that's how I've done it forever!!!! THAT'S what they mean when they say pour-over? I'M A ACCIDENTAL COFFEE HIPSTER!!!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
That reminds me of this

mvi_8504_Snapshot.30593505_std.jpg

A local guy had a kickstarter company called MultiBru, and we bought one the prototypes. It's pour-through, but it has a control for steeping. He planned to sell a ton of these, have restaurants put them on your table etc. But I don't think it took off.

It made good coffee, but it was fussy for making multiple cups. It was cool to be on the ground floor of something, even though it didn't become big.

Reactions: JHDK and HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Bought one of these today:

1596059537255.png

So now I can brew regular coffee along with k-cups.

What are some good grocery store coffees I should look into? I like a dark roast.

Reactions: goreds2

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
After way too long, I finally cleaned the Keurig yesterday. It's a long process which includes pouring vinegar into it to descale the thing. Then you have to run it like 15 times to get the vinegar smell out. Whatever, it's nice and clean and I'll remember to do it in 3 months next time.

Also I tried the Publix French Dark Roast K-Cups. I've had other Publix K-Cups a long time ago that I didn't like so I wasn't expecting much but these are quite good. So today I went and bought 18 boxes of them since they are BOGO at the moment. And since it's cheaper than my usual go to Gevalia, the BOGO brings it down to only $0.33 per cup! I'm saving a nickel over the Gevalia BOGO deal with every cup! I now have a nice stockpile of 216 Publix K-Cups. That should last at least until then next good sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Might as well put this here. When I had my "event", followed by time in the hospital, I stopped drinking coffee for about a month. Also, I was not smoking cigars. But I noticed that my teeth weren't getting any whiter.

So I started brushing after every meal - which is easy to do, since I'm always home. I also brush when I get up and go to bed. That's five times a day. I didn't expect anything to result from it; I just thought it was a good thing to do. In less than a week, my teeth were noticeably whiter. And now I've been doing it for over 2 months. And while my teeth aren't white, they are a decent shade of off-white, with very little yellow.

I don't always brush 5 times a day, but at least 3 or 4. And I floss at least once a day. I kind-of made it my new year's resolution. That's all I have to say.