Colbert's Late Show

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by JHDK, Jul 1, 2015.

1. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

I went to a Letterman taping a number of years back. I think Eddie Brill was the warmup. The taping was exactly an hour, no redo's or breaks, other than commercial breaks, where we see a full song or 2 from the band, and Dave is surrounded by producers and writers. The pretaped segments can be seen on the TV monitors in real time. B.B. King was the musical guest.
    JHDK likes this.
  2. scotchandcigar

Oh and Letterman is introduced before the show starts, he chats with the audience, and while he's still out there, the band starts playing the show intro music. Dave calmly slips his jacket on, walks off stage to the left, and about 10 seconds later it's time for him to run across the back of the stage and enter.
  3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

A producer comes out and tells you the sequence that things are going to go down. The band played for a bit. I don't remember the warm up comics name he came out next. It's probably on the Google. He picked people out of the audience to come on the stage and talk to him. He wasn't too bad. Their whole thing was getting the crowed loosened up so that we would all laugh and cheer loudly and easily at everything. They don't use laugh tracks. Then colbert came out for a few, talked and answered a few questions. They played a cold start video, then the intro credits. Then Colbert came out again and started the show.

They do it all in real time, with no retakes. They show black screens on the monitors when they are at commercial, and the Late Show bumpers when they air. Colbert talks to the guest and/or the production folks during commercial. When they show a prerecorded bit, or one of the guests clips, he watches it closely on the monitors and seems to enjoy them.

We were in the 5th row on the left side, close to his desk. His wife and a handful of vip guests were in the row in front of us.

It was a pretty cool deal.

Sent from Tapatalk
    memebag, JHDK and IdRatherBeSkiing like this.
  4. scotchandcigar

HecticArt and Aaron like this.
  5. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

6. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Haven't watched any of the new one's since Letterman or Jon Stewart left. I was hoping Jon Stewart was going to replace Letterman. Colbert is just boring. Seems like a nice enough guy, somebody you want to like, but he's not controversial enough.
  7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Colbert is pretty good.
    I think he's getting comfortable with his new identity. (If you will.)
  8. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I loved "The Colbert Report". The CBS show started weak, but has been very funny since Trump got elected. He could lose most of the celebrities and I'd be happier.
    HecticArt likes this.
  9. scotchandcigar

The new generation of late-night hosts is different than the old guard, but I think they're all pretty good. Colbert, Fallon, and Corden all sing, dance, and act. Colbert and Seth Meyers both do brilliant political commentary. Meyers is the closest to a Jon Stewart replacement. And Jimmy Kimmel is the closest to being the new Letterman; he's sarcastic, witty, and he's got his own group of weirdos working the show.

Colbert's got an "I don't give a shit" attitude; he talks about what he wants, and his 2nd guest is often an entrepreneur or scientist or politician, rather than another actor. And he's super-smart.
    HecticArt likes this.
  10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

My favorite Colbert moment is around 2:07 in this:

HecticArt and scotchandcigar like this.
  11. scotchandcigar

Good stuff. He also has some good regular bits, like the confessional, and the big furry hat proclamations.

upload_2017-3-7_14-12-49.png
  12. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I guess part of it is just an aversion to live tv anymore. Didn't see the oscars, nor have I watched any award shows in the last year and a half. I have Netflix, am getting back Amazon and YouTube and will probably jump on that new Britbox service since British tv is my thing. That and I also have iTunes tv shows that I haven't touched yet. Probably won't do that until summer when I can binge them all. And I've unplugged my antenna since I get my news off the internet anymore. And I've pretty much quit watching sports.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  13. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

I'm more of a Conan O'Brien guy
    goreds2 likes this.
  14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Not for long, unfortunately.
  15. scotchandcigar

I watch Colbert and Myers On-Demand. I just catch the intro, the monologue or other bits, then turn it off.
    goreds2 likes this.
  16. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

i have never seen more than a clip or a song of any of the current gen late night hosts besides conan.
  17. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I've never seen Fallon. I think I saw Kimmel once.

Colbert had a manatee joke last night. You should watch.
    HecticArt and JHDK like this.
  18. kc1ih

kc1ih Member

Colbert was #1 in the ratings for his time period in February.
    HecticArt likes this.
  19. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I like Colbert. It's good to see him get some recognition in the ratings.
  20. scotchandcigar

Apparently the Trump presidency is working out for at least one person.
    HecticArt likes this.