Companies That Might Go Out Of Business

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
I'll get a pension from my company, which is going strong. But they stopped offering it about 10 years ago. Honestly, it's a killer to a company; billions paid to people who aren't contributing. For a failing company like Sears, it's unsustainable.

Reactions: semipenguin

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Look at Ford, they are now building only trucks, SUVs, and the Mustang. They've yielded green cars to other makers. And it's a similar story for Chrysler/Dodge.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Look at Ford, they are now building only trucks, SUVs, and the Mustang. They've yielded green cars to other makers. And it's a similar story for Chrysler/Dodge.
Then why say the reason they are closing the plants is to focus on green? The real reason is cost/profit.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Then why say the reason they are closing the plants is to focus on green? The real reason is cost/profit.
The Volt is an older-style hybrid, whereas the Bolt is all-electric, which is the way things are going. But I agree there's no sign that they're coming out with more electrics.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Member that thing about people forgetting stuff?
If the auto makers ditch most of their smaller, fuel efficient cars, there will be a point where gas prices are going to spike again, because everyone will be stuck with gas guzzling vehicles. That will be followed by the bitching and the moaning because gas costs too much and there are no affordable options.
$5 & $6 gas will be here before you know it.
I'm going to hate being right.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
If the auto makers ditch most of their smaller, fuel efficient cars, there will be a point where gas prices are going to spike again, because everyone will be stuck with gas guzzling vehicles. That will be followed by the bitching and the moaning because gas costs too much and there are no affordable options.
Unless it never does. There's no guarantee gas prices will reach that level before driverless cars get here, and they may break the current patterns of vehicle ownership.

Also, the most popular SUVs get reasonable gas mileage. Last year the most popular was the Toyota RAV4, which gets 23/30. That's the same as my Miata, and $6 gas won't make me sell that.

All of these car companies are reading the same tea leaves. They see Tesla becoming the dominant luxury brand. They see strong governmental support for low oil prices. They see cyclical oil gluts becoming the norm in recent history. They see new car prices rising much faster than average incomes. And they see people have been buying more SUVs and trucks than cars since 2014. All of it points to a world where getting from a to b probably doesn't involve a privately owned, gasoline powered sedan.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Yeah, no. Everyone's going fuel efficient. Electric and hybrid cars are popping up everywhere. Aside from the examples Meme gave, you have the popular Ford Escape hybrid, and there's even a hybrid minivan.

BMW's standard engine now is a 2.0 liter turbo-4, getting 35-mpg on the highway. Volvo is putting some sort of electric or battery drive into every model.

American manufacturers have been struggling with small cars for years. Now they've finally acknowledged they can't make a competitive small car using union labor and American wages, so they're throwing-in the towel.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
23/30 isn't really that great.
People started getting rid of their trucks when gas was closing in on $5 not too long ago.

Electrics aren't advancing that quickly, and driverless will still cost $ to run. Mericans aren't ready to go without owning their own cars. It's a symbol of independence and freedom for Americans. We won't give them up any sooner than we'll give up our guns.

Time will tell.
Check back in 10 years or so. I'll let you tell me that I could see the future.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Tesla hasn't been able to make any production targets. And they are losing money hand over fist. Not exactly a green poster boy company. Unless they get cheaper and quickly I don't see electric cars taking off. A lot of lip service right now. I would love to see real sales data.

But upper sedans are definitely dieing. Most upper sedan buyers buy suvs at same price.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
23/30 isn't really that great.
People started getting rid of their trucks when gas was closing in on $5 not too long ago.
The last time there was a gas crunch, people were driving 10 mpg Hummers, 15 mpg Escalades, and 18 mpg Explorers. Things are a lot different now.

The Tesla model 3's are selling like hotcakes. There are several all-electric vehicles available, and dozens of hybrids. In the next couple of years, close to half of all new vehicles will be some sort of hybrid.

Ten years ago, there was the Prius and the Honda Insight, and that was it. So things are progressing nicely.

Reactions: memebag

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Tesla hasn't been able to make any production targets. And they are losing money hand over fist. Not exactly a green poster boy company. Unless they get cheaper and quickly I don't see electric cars taking off. A lot of lip service right now. I would love to see real sales data.

But upper sedans are definitely dieing. Most upper sedan buyers buy suvs at same price.

Tesla lost a lot of money until they didn't. They posted a $311 million profit last quarter and met their production targets. Don't be fooled by the shorts - Tesla has become a real threat to BMW, Mercedes and Audi. US buyers are willing to spend more for a Model 3 than they would have for a gasoline car because of the luxury status the brand has built. All of the luxury brands are working on Model 3 and Model S killers.