Concerts you have attended?

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
I saw McCartney about 7 years ago, he was awesome. However, the times I've seen him perform (televised) recently, I think he's hit the wall. Not surprising given his age.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
If you bet money on "might not be," you're a winner. And there is that bizarre "Are you a robot?" link again. It does go to the story. Honest!

Woodstock 50 festival moves to Maryland in bid to salvage event

I had to recheck when I actually posted that (it was April). So how much longer will it still be 50 years?

I have many issues with this. The original became an epic event organically, and it was the end of an era. You can't plan that, especially if you change the venue, and don't have any legendary bands. What you have is called a concert festival, just like the dozens we already have every year. Calling it Woodstock doesn't make a difference.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
And Woodstock 50 will take the place of a previously scheduled Smashing Pumpkins concert. That must be disappointing for Smashing Pumpkins' fans. After all, the band's last top-40 hit was just 21 years ago. Maybe we can also have an Altamont 50 concert to commemorate the 1969 festival where a Hells Angel stabbed a man to death in front the stage where the Rolling Stones were performing.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
That must be disappointing for Smashing Pumpkins' fans. After all, the band's last top-40 hit was just 21 years ago.
The Smashing Pumpkins, as well as their fans, don't give a flying f-k about the last time they had a top 40 hit. They're an alt-rock band, not Taylor Swift.

Actually, they'd be a great choice for part of a Woodstock 50 lineup.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
And Woodstock 50 will take the place of a previously scheduled Smashing Pumpkins concert. That must be disappointing for Smashing Pumpkins' fans. After all, the band's last top-40 hit was just 21 years ago. Maybe we can also have an Altamont 50 concert to commemorate the 1969 festival where a Hells Angel stabbed a man to death in front the stage where the Rolling Stones were performing.

Hey, the guy was singing the wrong lyrics.
He had to go.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
John Fogerty and Jay-Z announced they will not be performing at the Woodstock 50 festival (which will take place 350 miles south of Woodstock). Other artists may join them in refusing to play. Woodstock 50 is in a heap o' trouble, son!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Tommorow I am seeing Queen again. Looking forward to it.

Queen was absolutely amazing. The effects were amazing and the songs were excellent. Adam Lambert does a reasonable job of replicating the sound of Freddy Mercury. Our seats were pretty bad but they were the best of the bad seats. If we were any further to our right, we would not have been able to see the video board behind the stage (we had sideview). But my son and I enjoyed it. I was surprised at the youth of the audience. I guess a side effect of the movie. I could have done without the millenials to my right getting in and out of their seats 5 times a song (we were on the isle) but other than that no complaints.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Queen was absolutely amazing. The effects were amazing and the songs were excellent. Adam Lambert does a reasonable job of replicating the sound of Freddy Mercury. Our seats were pretty bad but they were the best of the bad seats. If we were any further to our right, we would not have been able to see the video board behind the stage (we had sideview). But my son and I enjoyed it. I was surprised at the youth of the audience. I guess a side effect of the movie. I could have done without the millenials to my right getting in and out of their seats 5 times a song (we were on the isle) but other than that no complaints.
So Brian May has still got it?

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
I finally have a little time to mention the fantastic Leonid & Friends concert I went to last Wednesday. The bandleader (Leonid) turned 60 back in 2014, and decided to put together the wold's best Chicago cover band. All the members are from different parts of Russia and the former Soviet territories. Leonid's lifelong love of Chicago's music inspired him to find the most talented and dead-on accurate musicians.

My older brother (a musician) introduced me to Chicago when I was 8, and I'd say that their first 3 double albums were the most important things in my life. So to see a group of guys - from the other side of the world - that value and respect the music and talent of Chicago like I do, is awe-inspiring. When you see them perform, it's clear that they've dedicated hours upon hours to faithfully replicating the original studio recordings. And each of them has the talent to back it up.

The lead guitarist is a standout; he can do a spot-on replica of any Terry Kath solo, and his voice is a good match for Robert Lamm. The drummer is amazing, the keyboards are perfect, and the horn trio is capable of playing exactly like the recordings. The trumpet player is especially strong. And they have a collection of singers who do good versions of Cetera, Kath, and Lamm.

They're a really fun group of people too. Leonid's son is the emcee, and he's got a nice personality. They also covered Spinning Wheel (BS&T), and September (EW&F). But their secret weapon is this girl, Ksenona, who sings with them. She's got to be one of the smokin' hottest babes on the planet. Even the Mrs. said "she's probably the most beautiful woman I've ever seen".

Here's a montage of their current live tour. Make sure you look for Ksenona. (In the video, it's spelled Ksenia, but it's translated from Russian)

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron and HecticArt

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
I've seen a bunch of their Chicago covers on YouTube... They're fantastic!
They are, and they hold-up live. I especially like that they do the complete album version of each song, not the radio edit. They did the piano solo before Does Anybody Know What Time it Is, the drum solo on I'm a Man, the instrumental ending to Hard to Say I'm Sorry, etc. It shows their true respect for the music.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Last Night Mrs. 98 and I saw Poco, Firefall and America at Pacific Amphitheatre in Costa Mesa. I saw only three or four people younger than 30 in the audience but that's understandable. These bands were biggest in the 1970s and, let's face it, young people aren't going to be interested in their parents' "old fogey" music. Each band played their biggest hits, of course, and each song sounded almost identical to the original recordings. America did one song that had been a hit for another group. Gerry Beckley explained that he, Dan Peek and Dewey Bunnell formed America in 1970 and recorded their first album in London. (Their fathers were in the Air Force and stationed at a nearby base.) Their fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh studio albums were produced by George Martin. "He had produced another band before we came along," Beckley said, "and we're going to do one of their songs." America launched into Eleanor Rigby. Considering the song's "Look at all the lonely people" chorus, I expected America would do Lonely People next. They didn't. But they played it three songs later. During America's performance, the giant video screen showed hundreds of 1950s-60s images of Hollywood, hippies, Vietnam War protests and southern California beaches and concert footage of America performing in the 1970s. It was a fun show!

And we still don't know the name of that horse.