Concerts you have attended?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
On Saturday night we saw Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band in Columbus, OH. It was an absolutely fabulous concert. Opening act was Larkin Poe. Never heard of them but they were a pretty good rock/blues type outfit fronted by 2 sisters (aka Heart). We bought a couple of their songs. They did an excellent cover of Black Betty.

But the main event was what we came to see (the opening act was an unknown surprise). And he was fantastic. 22 songs. Almost all the ones I knew. The man loves singing and has a huge stage presence. This is his last tour and hearing him sing Turn the Page did bring a tear to my eye. His final song (of the second encore) was Rock and Roll Never forgets which he sang with one small modification to the lyrics "So now sweet sixteen's turned seventy-three".

Certainly one of the best concerts I have attended. Was even worth the 1.5 hour drive (15 minutes normal) going back through a blizzard.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Seger is one of my wife's favorites, along with Mellencamp. About 3 or 4 years ago, we found out last-minute that friends were seeing him at the Gaaahhhhhhhden (Boston Garden), and we grabbed the only available tickets left, just so we could participate in the evening with them.

Turns out that our friends (as usual) had primo seats, dead-center in front of the stage. We, however, were up top in the last row, up against the stadium wall, with a drop-ceiling right above us. The Garden (previously the Fleet Center) is generally a horrible place to see a concert; it's really for hockey and basketball; the acoustics suck. Add to that the misery of our seats, where all the smoke rose up to, and you can imagine that we could barely tell that he was performing.

My memory of that concert was a headache and nausea. But I'm glad you saw a good one.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
We were upper bowl but dead centre to the stage. Video screens were well used. No smoke. This was also a hockey arena but a more modern multipurpose one.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I didn't realize that I Mother Earth was still playing. That's cool.
Edwin did the vocals on Alex Lifeson's solo project, Victor. That was a really cool album.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
On Saturday night we saw Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band in Columbus, OH. It was an absolutely fabulous concert. Opening act was Larkin Poe. Never heard of them but they were a pretty good rock/blues type outfit fronted by 2 sisters (aka Heart). We bought a couple of their songs. They did an excellent cover of Black Betty.

But the main event was what we came to see (the opening act was an unknown surprise). And he was fantastic. 22 songs. Almost all the ones I knew. The man loves singing and has a huge stage presence. This is his last tour and hearing him sing Turn the Page did bring a tear to my eye. His final song (of the second encore) was Rock and Roll Never forgets which he sang with one small modification to the lyrics "So now sweet sixteen's turned seventy-three".

Certainly one of the best concerts I have attended. Was even worth the 1.5 hour drive (15 minutes normal) going back through a blizzard.

I was looking to see his final concert (well no longer, he has announced 2 more shows) in Detroit in June. But I decided that I was not going to pay $700 US per ticket. He is now doing 4 shows there. I guess he is setting up his retirement fund.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I hereby deem this thread the most appropriate place for me to post today's debate topic: Which generation had better music?

Woodstock, 1969: Jimi Hendix, Joan Baez, Joe Cocker, Arlo Guthrie, Santana, The Grateful Dead, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blood Sweat & Tears, Crosby Stills Nash & Young.

Woodstock, 2019: Akon, Miley Cyrus, Jay-Z, Chance The Rapper, Cherry Glazerr, Leven Kali, Brian Cadd, Amy Helm, Ninet Tayeband, John Craigie, Liz Brasher, IAMDDB, Reignwolf, Soccer Mommy, Judah & The Lions.

Miley Cyrus, JAY-Z and More Performing at Woodstock 50: Here's Everyone Who's Playing

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
There's some good bands on the 2019 lineup, but there's a lot of em that are candidates to be on Lip Sync Battle.

I think I'd like to check out about half of each of the shows.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Halsey, Imagine Dragons, Portugal The Man and the Black Eyed Peas will also be at Woodstock 50 but many of those other artists I've never even heard of -- and I couldn't help thinking of this line from Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I hereby deem this thread the most appropriate place for me to post today's debate topic: Which generation had better music?

Woodstock, 1969: Jimi Hendix, Joan Baez, Joe Cocker, Arlo Guthrie, Santana, The Grateful Dead, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blood Sweat & Tears, Crosby Stills Nash & Young.

Woodstock, 2019: Akon, Miley Cyrus, Jay-Z, Chance The Rapper, Cherry Glazerr, Leven Kali, Brian Cadd, Amy Helm, Ninet Tayeband, John Craigie, Liz Brasher, IAMDDB, Reignwolf, Soccer Mommy, Judah & The Lions.

Miley Cyrus, JAY-Z and More Performing at Woodstock 50: Here's Everyone Who's Playing

Of those 2, 1969. 2019 is crap (IMHO).

I think a Woodstock in late 70s or early 80s would have had the best lineup.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
It's not, but anywho...

This is not a valid question. You're comparing the very best of one era to a mostly no-name list from another. I can name 100 bands playing today that would be more appropriate for the kind of comparison you're looking for, but then - what's the point?

Should one be comparing bands from an era where arena rock was the major form of entertainment, to today? No. Next.

BTW, if you attend a concert, feel free to tell us about it.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
All right, Mister scotch, I'm accepting your challenge. In 1999, my wife and I saw The Beach Boys Family & Friends at the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds in southern California. Even though Al Jardine was the only original Beach Boy in the assemblage, they sounded exactly like the full Beach Boys group. The "Family" included Jardine's sons Matt and Adam and Brian Wilson's daughter Carnie. Billy Hinsche was the keyboardist. (He, Dean Martin's son and Desi Arnaz's son had the 1965 hit I'm A Fool as Dino, Desi & Billy.) My only complaint: They closed the show with a medley of 1950s-60s pop hits instead of doing a Beach Boys song. They should have saved Good Vibrations for the final number.

Mike Love now owns the Beach Boys name. He tours with three other men as The Beach Boys. Don't be fooled! It's like if Ringo were to tour with three other guys and they called themselves The Beatles. The Beach Boys' founder occasionally still performs in a show called Brian Wilson & Friends, which includes Jardine and Hinsche.