Confessions Of A Former Satrad Addict

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have full use of the phone. I still get calls when Bluetooth is on. And I can take a call hands free. Plus the music starts where I left off after the call is over.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
My phone cuts the music when I get a call. What type of iPhone do you have again?

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Like when I had to run the wire to the back of the radio, (after having to rip the radio out to hook it up) or hope there's an empty frequency to compensate for a weak FM transmitter. With Bluetooth it's get in the car and turn on the engine, then connect to Bluetooth. Bluetooth remembers what app you were on and where you left off.

My car has XM built in direct. Part of the tuner just like FM.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
For those without a smart phone or an unlimited data plan, Satellite is the best option ever. Same with Over the Road truck drivers. If I was in one of those situations, I would keep Sirius|XM due to the convenience factor.

In my situation, I have unlimited data, a smartphone, and I live in an LTE based area. Everywhere I drive has no issues with keeping an LTE connection. I am not a truck driver, and only leave on vacation a few times per year.

Using Bluetooth and the Sirius/Slacker/Pandora app, I can press play when I walk out the door of my house and my truck automatically connects to my phone when I start it. I can take a phone call while driving and the music restarts automatically once the call ends.

Using apps works for me. For alot of folks, it is all about pressing the Sirius|XM button on their radio. To me, its not worth the cost of admission to pay Sirius|XM any longer.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Again, I use the phone app thru Bluetooth, so I know the whole thing about taking calls, pausing music etc. I get in my car, dock my phone, and start the app.

On the other hand, my wife has had factory Sirius radio head-units since 2008. Start the car, and it's already on Sirius, just like FM radio, except it's Sirius. It's always on Sirius, while her phone stays in her handbag. No docking, no selecting, no launching, and no awkward volume setting. And all the info/controls are on a big nav display, not a 5" phone that's shaking around.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Different strokes. Not better, or worse. Just different.

I've driven cars with the Bluetooth and it's just never been worth the effort to me. Either streaming Slacker, or Sirius, or listening to downloaded content, there always seems to be more futzing around with the phone than I care to deal with while the car is rolling. I like the music to keep playing while the nav is giving me directions and if I take a call.

I like not running down my phones battery while I'm doing my day to day driving too.

The same thing at work. Same radio, different dock. If I get up from my desk, the music doesn't need to be tended to. No futzing around, it just keeps on playing.

But that's just what works for me. I want to drop the radio in the dock and let it play. It's running about 10 or more hours per day on one subscription.

For me, there's enough value in it that convenience that I'm willing to pay for. Will the cost exceed the convenience for me some day? Possibly. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Installation is a one-time event. I plugged my receiver into the AUX input in the radio.

The Bluetooth remembering thing is fine and dandy, but if you just want music, the receiver is simpler.

You have to think like a woman, Jon. Scotch's wife just wants music. My wife won't even fool with the Sirius receiver. She just uses the regular radio. Not to be sexist, but women on the whole aren't into this stuff. It's key-gear-gas-go. Bluetoothed music from the cell phone is way too much of an inconvenience.
You callin me a woman?????

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
You callin me a woman?????
I am, but that's a different point. My original point is that because women are less likely to be tech geeks (unless your name is Marissa Mayer) they don't want to fool with a phone and apps just to play music in the car. Guy who aren't tech geeks don't want to fool with them either. Or, guys and gals who are in fact tech geeks but who would rather for a variety of reasons just have music minus the phone...I can't dig this hole any deeper, so here is a picture of Marissa Mayer.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfyre13.com
I joined Sirius when Howard signed with them, but I don't care for his watered down show, plus he only talks about 2-3 days a week and too much vacation time, I decided to turn off Howard. But I did enjoyed tons of there music channels, when the merged happened some of the new channels were alright, but unfortunately they replace couple of channels I use to enjoy listening like Hard Attack and Buzzsaw. But lately now, I had some financial issues so I had to cut back on a few things and one thing was to eliminate SiriusXM, so I haven't been with SXM for several months now and I hardly miss it. I pay $25 a year for iTunes Radio, plus I can listen to any of my old music anytime I want. Maybe one day, I might come back to SXM. I did enjoy the internet subscription, where I have access to a lot more channels, but I don't have Bluetooth radio or an AUX connection in my car.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I used to love Sirius. Over time it got more expensive and the content was less to my liking. The signal quality was never very good from the satellites, but that became horrible as they added new channels. I miss Little Steven's Underground Garage, but that's all.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I used to love Sirius. Over time it got more expensive and the content was less to my liking. The signal quality was never very good from the satellites, but that became horrible as they added new channels. I miss Little Steven's Underground Garage, but that's all.
Like Blue and Jon, they passed your threshold. What do you do for new music/entertainment these days?

Reactions: blueneon36

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I need new music because I love discovering new bands. Then these new band's play concerts like ROTR. I love going and seeing live music. You can discover a lot of New music at live shows.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

Reactions: HecticArt

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I am officially done with purchasing Sirius|XM for my own personal use. Once the Merger happened and they got rid of some of my favorite channels (Buzzsaw [Boneyard is awful], Super Shuffle, Hot Jamz, etc) I changed my listening habits.

I used to be a full price paying subscriber until Howard went from 4 days a week to 2-3 days per week. Thats when I started calling and getting the $77 and $86 per year deals. Over the course of the past year, I have gotten into listening to Slacker Radio on my phone more often than Sirius. The SQ is better, the selections are decent, and best of all.... its FREE (ad-supported).
Howard, circa 2004-2006 was right on the money, IMO. The ads of regular radio KILLED it for me. Not to mention, the last time I regularly listened to FM radio, the ads were always at the same time every hour. If I wanted to listen to music while taking a shower, I could easily time it to happen so I'd miss the ads. Plus, everything on rock was censored anyway...hearing censored music is almost an insult to me, especially when they "scramble" the bad word...it kills the flow of the song. The other option

FM radio is like broadcast TV. Some good shows, but everything is watered-down for the FCC and full of commercials. 24 was a good show, don't get me wrong, but imagine it on TNT or even Showtime/HBO. Think of Game of Thrones or Dexter on CBS or TNT. No way those shows would be even CLOSE to what they are.

Pandora/Spotify/Slacker/others are like the "basic cable" of radio. It's not controlled by the government, but there are ads. Are there as many ads as FM radio? It still kills the momentum of the music for me. It's nice to be able to turn on a music channel and actually hear music instead of a commercial.

Satellite is the HBO/Cinemax/etc. Uncontrolled, unrefined, uncensored.

Oddly enough, a lot of people still prefer FM radio because it's there, as you pointed out. They may have a USB or whatever hookup in their car for a phone or whatnot, but the FM button is second nature.

Today, I hopped in my truck and the radio self-updated to the XM Preview channel. It feels good to be free after being a paying subscriber for 9 years. I will just keep creating new email accounts and getting free trials when I want to listen to Howard. The rest of the time, I will listen to Slacker or my own Library.

The Howard/Bubba/Ferrall days were some of the best years of radio. I am glad I was a paying subscriber through all of 2006-2010 to hear the greatness that was being acheived on the radio at that time. Times have changed, stations have changed, and my listening habits have changed. For me, it was time to finally cut the cord and move on.......
It's utterly amazing to me that Howard's channels would be a free preview channel. If that truly is their "bread and butter" (and what other talent comes close to the name recognition of Howard Stern?) then why are they giving it away for free? It makes no sense to me...

Then again, maybe they figure it's too much of a PITA for people to get a new free email address every few months to listen via the app and catch up. They probably figure the hardcores either got the lifetime back in the day or will pay.

Reactions: blueneon36

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
That's why my dad loves Sirius. I pay $11 a month for his Sirius subscription. If he went the smartphone route he would have to buy a phone and pay $100 a month for service. He pays $10 a month for basic flip phone service. That can get expensive just to stream some things.

He's a truck driver so he might not get a good signal everywhere.

Plus the data-watching. The most I ever used was 1.6 out of a 4gb plan, but I hear that it's not uncommon to use a lot more. Since he's constantly on the road, I can totally see where that would get insane.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Oddly enough, a lot of people still prefer FM radio because it's there, as you pointed out. They may have a USB or whatever hookup in their car for a phone or whatnot, but the FM button is second nature.

I have rediscovered how much I enjoy (and missed) live local DJs and Canadian music on local FM. Sat still good for backup during commercials and traveling.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I'm approaching 40 years old and I still listen to new music. Just my styles have changed. No longer the metal head I used to be, now I listen to alternative rock, techno, classic rock, jazz and r&b, with some old school hip hop mixed in for good measure.

I used to subscribe to XM when they were separate companies. Now Slacker, iTunes radio and beats music suit my needs. Plus podcasts and the npr and BBC apps for news and talk. Since I only follow the Broncos and quit following other sports,i don't miss that part of it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That mindset always confounds me. Have you watched a TV show or movie produced in the last 20 years? Assuming you have, what's the difference between that and music?
I don't watch the same TV shows over and over. They are just different.