Contract Time

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Time for old Howie to ride off in the sunset

As much as he says he doesn't want to be Imus, he'll stay on.

Even if a new deal is three days a week, he'll go back to the old deal of "most of July and August off" and we'll see that two days a week probably isn't as bad as it seems now.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
As much as he says he doesn't want to be Imus, he'll stay on.

Even if a new deal is three days a week, he'll go back to the old deal of "most of July and August off" and we'll see that two days a week probably isn't as bad as it seems now.

i would imagine, no matter how rich u are, its super hard to turn down an $80 million annual salary (or thereabouts) guaranteed for 5 more years.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Howard in 3 years
amd-donimus-jpg.jpg

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Howard is a money slave. He is greedy and loves money.
He will retire the day he dies.
Here come the haters. :laugh:

Howard spent most of his career not making much money, yet he continued to do it for decades. When Carson was making millions, Stern was making peanuts. Did he respond by selling himself out? No, he just kept doing radio. He made a movie that he knew wasn't going to make him wealthy. He made some money on a couple of books, but these are all things he did because he wanted to, not to make money. If he did these things to make money, he would've kept cranking out books and movies.

He's had his show (HSS) on TV, and let it go. He probably could've kept it going if money was the thing, but it wasn't. He did AGT because he really liked the show, and also because he wanted visibility on TV. He's become a top name in entertainment; therefore, he won't accept being paid less than the other judges. Likewise, he won't carry SiriusXM and not get paid appropriately, it's a matter of respect. Look at what Limbaugh makes, look at what Leno and Letterman made.

Howard's obsession isn't money, it's fame and respect, but money goes hand-in-hand with those. When he decides to step back from working, it won't be the money he'll miss, but the fame.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
Here come the haters. :laugh:

Howard spent most of his career not making much money, yet he continued to do it for decades. When Carson was making millions, Stern was making peanuts. Did he respond by selling himself out? No, he just kept doing radio. He made a movie that he knew wasn't going to make him wealthy. He made some money on a couple of books, but these are all things he did because he wanted to, not to make money. If he did these things to make money, he would've kept cranking out books and movies.

He's had his show (HSS) on TV, and let it go. He probably could've kept it going if money was the thing, but it wasn't. He did AGT because he really liked the show, and also because he wanted visibility on TV. He's become a top name in entertainment; therefore, he won't accept being paid less than the other judges. Likewise, he won't carry SiriusXM and not get paid appropriately, it's a matter of respect. Look at what Limbaugh makes, look at what Leno and Letterman made.

Howard's obsession isn't money, it's fame and respect, but money goes hand-in-hand with those. When he decides to step back from working, it won't be the money he'll miss, but the fame.

this is TOTALLY untrue. Howard has been making a million dollar salary since the late 80's at least. I have heard robin mention making a million dollars in the early 90's.

howard's talk of being penniless is so exaggerated it's not even funny. think about it like this. he was on DC101 in the very early 80's. then on WNBC in the early to mid 80's and then krock from like 86-05.

once he hit WNBC and started pulling down major ratings, he was being compensated. and at krock, we all know he was getting paid.

howard's lean years were prior to DC101, but I even recall him mentioning that when he worked in detroit, he was making like 60K a year and that was in the late 70's, when that sum of money was QUITE a fortune.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
this is TOTALLY untrue. Howard has been making a million dollar salary since the late 80's at least. I have heard robin mention making a million dollars in the early 90's.
In the early 90's, Carson retired, so how are my statements untrue? Yes, he started pulling-in a good salary at KRock, but he certainly wasn't making Tonight Show money. And prior to KRock, his income ranged from poor to decent.

The point is, what Salesman said is what Stern-haters like to say. It's a shorthand for those who don't like him. The fact that it's untrue and overtly antisemitic is inconsequential.

I don't have a problem with people who hate Stern; just use a valid reason.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Money is how Howard measures his manhood.
I would agree with that, and it's come to be how he measures the success of others, despite the fact that some of his favorite performers never really made it big. However, saying that he measures success via money, is different than saying he's money-crazed. He's not an ostentatious or materialistic person, not at all like Trump or Seinfeld or Leno.

During the time he did AGT, he had to get the top dog salary, due to his definition of success. But now he's done with AGT, and the salary he'll no longer get is (I think) totally immaterial to him. Ultimately, he's a performer, he needs gigs and exposure.

Reactions: Bark and HecticArt

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
And he could never take a cut because he believes that his brand has a certain value that has no relationship to how much profit his employer is making... I suspect he is taking less since he is working less but that he rationalizes it as relating to the work week.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I'll go on a limb and say three times a week every other week which is 26 by 3 for a total of 78 shows. If he was getting 80 mil per year for 112 shows it will be the same ratio for a sum of 55.71 per anum. Multiply this by the length of the deal ( I predict 3 years) and the grand total is 167.1 mil.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I'm more interested in what the "Slam Dunk" was that the fans would love. He said he couldn't do the Sirius show, the Slam Dunk, and AGT, implying only two of the three could be done. Then, he quit the AGT show. Maybe it's a failed ploy for more money or maybe not.

By "interested" I mean an interest level on par with rubber necking an accident on the highway, which I don't ever do, just using it as a metaphor. This interest is opposed to a Bobo or MAfB level of interest.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I'll just put this in here, even though it's not really related:

Say what you want about Howard, but it is utterly amazing what happened to FM radio when he left. Remember when they divided the country up into three areas of his former stations? O&A had the East Coast, Rover's Morning Glory had the central and Adam Carolla had the West Coast?

It is amazing what has happened to terrestrial over the past ten years

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD

Say what you want about Howard, but it is utterly amazing what happened to FM radio when he left. Remember when they divided the country up into three areas of his former stations? O&A had the East Coast, Rover's Morning Glory had the central and Adam Carolla had the West Coast?

Young people just don't care about AM/FM. I also think Howard will succeed in any "talking into a microphone for hours" venture. If he started a podcast (oh the irony), it would become the top podcast.

Howard leaving FM hastened it's demise. I think it will still be around catering to local audiences, but is there really a need for national platforms on radio these days?

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

Well, yes and no - mostly no, actually. FM radio went the way of album sales; that is, it's done and over with, and after 40 years, what else would you expect? FM radio was big in the days before cable TV even existed. Now I hear there's this thing called the internet.

But seriously, FM radio had it's day, and that day is long over. I had thought that Howard was the only one who didn't understand that, until I saw your post. :p And this is the reason I go nuts when Howard tells podcasters that they need to go on terrestrial radio to become well-known first. Maybe they should also put their act on Betamax, and broadcast it via HAM radio too.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
Well, yes and no - mostly no, actually. FM radio went the way of album sales; that is, it's done and over with, and after 40 years, what else would you expect? FM radio was big in the days before cable TV even existed. Now I hear there's this thing called the internet.

But seriously, FM radio had it's day, and that day is long over. I had thought that Howard was the only one who didn't understand that, until I saw your post. :p And this is the reason I go nuts when Howard tells podcasters that they need to go on terrestrial radio to become well-known first. Maybe they should also put their act on Betamax, and broadcast it via HAM radio too.

I think Howard has a valid point, but he makes it in the most out-dated way possible. The point of, "get a paying job and build an audience," is valid. However like you said, that's not AM/FM anymore. So I kind of agree with Howard when he busts on Elisa or some schmoe in a basement talking to two people, but it aggravates me when Howard dismisses something like Adam Carolla's podcast, which meets the criteria of paying gig and a built-up audience.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
For music, it's a few options. Internet, Satellite and physical stuff (CDs, digital copies, records and anything I'm missing. Believe it or not, records are coming back...but they never really went away in the 90s.)

Where FM radio can succeed is local. Local morning shows, local traffic updates, weather updates, local sports call-in shows and local sports PbP. Yes you can get a lot of that stuff on your phone via an app of some sort, but it's also a lot easier just to turn the car radio to whatever station and not have to worry about going over your data plan.

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people still listen to local radio for music, but that's probably where they don't get a 4G/wifi signal or where FM is the only option. You also still have a few independent, locally-owned radio stations. I'm thinking a warehouse-type setting. Employees might be forced to put their phones in their lockers and really, who has enough data these days to use 4G for hours upon hours each day? Likewise, some of these places might not allow headphones for MP3s and may not have WiFi.

The people that read the ratings need to realize that a "bad" rating in 2001 might be a "good" rating now. Fewer listeners means lower ratings.