Cord Cutters

Discussion in 'Cable & Video' started by Wolf, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

2. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

Good to see ESPN expanding instead of despanding.

Wolf likes this.
  3. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Or contracting.

4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Or extracting.

5. MadisonRadio1

this was a good weekend for Netflix & Hulu with the eeky weather

6. MadisonRadio1

Another new internet tv service has come out, available on Roku devices. Philo TV, 37 channels for $16/month.
    Except no Sports channels or Big 4 Networks on demand. Probably would be ideal if you use your home antenna and/or don't need ESPN/Fox Sports channels.

At the same time, PlayStation has added a new Sports tier you can to your current package for an extra $10 which includes a ton of regional sports channels.

scotchandcigar likes this.
  7. squigy0

squigy0 Member

So since this post last year, I've had substantial time with this product (AirTV Player) and yesterday added this product (AirTV) to my arsenal.

The airtv_player has really great integration with Sling TV and my local channels. They also recently added the ability to hook up a portable hard drive to pause/DVR local television and it's been fun having it record every episode of old syndicated shows of interest, and still having 90+ hours left on the hard drive to record more.

The airtv_player is also powered by Android so I can access SOME of my other cord cutting apps like Netflix, HBO Go, and Pluto. However, updates of the player are very few and far between so there are apps that don't even come up as available because they're not compatible with the box (i.e. Amazon Prime video).

The advantage of airtv is that you can hook the antenna up to it and once logged into your Sling account, can watch your local TV channels from every Sling enabled device...except for the airtv_player. Also at that point, you lose the ability to be able to DVR local channels because you no longer have an antenna hooked up to the airtv_player and airtv does not currently support DVRing.

There also are a few lag issues when watching the streaming local channels -- I haven't had enough time with it yet to see if it's just a antenna signal issue, or related to a lot going on on the screen, or something else.

8. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Can you split the antenna to both devices?

9. squigy0

squigy0 Member

HA! Funny you ask that.

I got the information about the incompatibility of the two boxes by calling support. They seemed pretty uninterested in building in compatibility due to "the two devices intended to perform different functions" so I was able to scrounge up a random splitter and some coax laying around and can confirm that I CAN and DID split the antenna to both devices successfully.

I'll use this to help determine why the lag might be happening by watching the same channel on both the airtv_player on my tv and the airtv on my tablet simultaneously.

10. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

If I want to keep watching my Phoenix Rising FC, the USL signed a deal with ESPN+ to watch those games now. Last night I signed up for a week free trial for ESPN+ and it alright. I can see other sports like MLS and whatever else. Also, ESPN+ has some deals with NHL and MLB games, so I might keep it for a while.

MadisonRadio1 likes this.
  11. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

MadisonRadio1 likes this.
  12. MadisonRadio1

That is $1 less than Roku's Philo TV. 37 non sports channels for $16

13. MadisonRadio1

Today is National Streaming Day

Happy Streaming Day to all the Cord Cutters

Wolf likes this.
  14. MadisonRadio1

I now understand the concept of using the DVR on my PlayStation Vue. It's pointless to DVR shows already On Demand because you can access those anytime but rather shows not OnDemand that you want to view at your pleasure, by time recording. Pretty neat to do this without a big complicated box you needed to use in the Y2K era.

Wolf likes this.
  15. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I dropped DirecTV Now couple months because they didn't have DVR and I went back to my old DirecTV. But looks like DirecTV Now finally has a DVR feature, which I might try again next month.

16. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

The only advantage that comes to mind is that sometimes they disable the fast forward feature for commercials on-demand.

17. MadisonRadio1

I can pick a show on a channel and it will record all the episodes then I have up to 28 days to watch it before I'm out of luck. Amazing

18. squigy0

squigy0 Member

Or in Sling's case, if an on demand is available, your DVR defaults to the on demand version, which can't be fast forwarded :D

19. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Monsters......

20. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf