Cord Cutters

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I love that movie – but the ending made no sense. George Valentin and Peppy Miller (played by Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo) perform an elaborate dance number for a "talkie" film. (The actors filmed it in a single take, by the way.) The director tells them it was perfect.......and then asks if they want to do another take. "With pleasure," Valentin says. Why would they need to do another take if the first one was perfect?

Four years ago I was saddened by the news that Uggie, the cute little Jack Russell terrier in the movie, had to be euthanized because he had a prostate tumor. Uggie was every bit as good an actor as Dujardin and Bejo.

Uggie, the dog star of 'The Artist,' dies

Uggie dies: 'The Artist' dog had that intangible star quality

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm thinking about switching from Comcast to AT&T. Comcast is now charging me $260/month for cable, internet and phone and their customer service is a joke.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
AT&T and DirecTV Now have been raising prices. AT&T and DirecTV Now have been losing subscribers. Wouldn't you think AT&T and DirecTV Now could see the connection?

That has affected me and I'm getting tired of DirecTV Now. I received an email yesterday saying DirecTV Now being renamed to AT&T TV Now. But it still won't last long, they plan on getting rid of it down the road or merge it into another package like WarnerMedia, HBO Max launching sometime next year.

AT&T is also launching another TV package AT&T TV which is coming out by end of the year. AT&T TV: Live TV, DVR, On Demand, Apps & Voice Control

Either way, AT&T is destroying themselves and I might look at another cord-cutting provider soon. I'm hardly watching TV as much as I use to. I eliminated a lot of TV shows and doing a lot more stuff.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
When I setup my home office, I moved my router up to our loft, which generally improved our wifi coverage throughout the house. However, my (now vintage) Panasonic plasma "smart" TV needed the router to be inches from the pathetic usb antenna provided. So when we recently tried to dial-up Netflix or Prime, it was a no-go. The usb wifi antenna is Panasonic specific, I can't just get a generic computer wifi adapter.

So I decided to get a wifi extender for our router, and place it right in back of the TV. But when I went to Best Buy, the cheapest one was $50, and the salesman recommended I just get a Roku or Fire TV stick for $30. I got the Fire TV stick, since we have Amazon Prime, and it couldn't be easier to setup. It's got a nice, simple smart remote too. So I'm back up and running with the streaming services.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Combined, AT&T and DirecTV have lost 1,322,000 subscribers in the past six months. "Cord cutters" are switching to streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, YouTube TV and Amazon Prime Video. More competition is on the way: Disney+ launches in November and NBCUniversal Peacock launches in April. Maybe if AT&T and DirecTV didn't keep raising their prices and adding extra fees........nah, never mind. What was I thinking?

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
DirecTV requires subscribers to pay for hundreds of channels they'll never watch. DirecTV charges a monthly $7 "regional sports fee." DirecTV charges a monthly $10 fee for HD channels. (Dish does not.) Every month, DirecTV charges sales tax on their receivers, even though customers do not own them. DirecTV offers low "introductory rates" that more than double after 12 months. Does anyone wonder why DirecTV is losing subscribers?

Will AT&T keep DirecTV? Pay-TV unit lost
1.2 million customers in third quarter.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I received a memo several days ago, that PlayStation Vue is going out of business at the end of January 2020.
That leaves me two months to decide on an alternative.

1) Go without. I do this the most unless i'm interested in some game. My Sweetie prefers live tv though
2) Hulu Tv (looks like the best plus I'd get the regular Hulu for free)
3) Sling (looks like the cheapest but no BTN)
4) TDS (My city ISP) (this would kind've be like having cable again, I have to rent a box for each TV and that's when it gets costly)

I use gift cards but technically this would be my monthly costs: CBS access $6, Netflix$15, Roku Channel Free, YouTube Free, Amazon Prime: Free
ESPN Plus $5 (regular pay, I have to find out if I need an ISP. I think I would get the ESPN Plus programming but without an ISP would not be able to use the rest of the ESPN app. Hulu $12 (with Live TV $55) I am dropping HBO Now and Starz once the gift cards expire.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Since I bought the new iPhone, that made me eligible for the 1 year free of AppleTV plus. I have yet to see any full previews of any of the shows but 'Morning Show' and 'For All Mankind' look interesting. I already have Amazon Video through my Prime subscription which I really haven't watched since The Grand Tour went off the air. I can't see myself subscribing to any of the live tv streamers since they're turning into cable without the cord. Only thing I had live TV for was sports, and my interest has declined greatly.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I dump AT&T TV Now a couple of weeks ago, due to that AT&T wants to kill it and constantly raising prices.

I tried Hulu TV and I thought it was going to work out. But after a while, I didn't like the interactive guide and I have to pay extra for certain stuff after the free trial. I like to watch the Science Channel and have to pay for the DVR. Basically letting me to FF and pause recorded shows. They do offer a free DVR service, but I can't FF, rewind recorded shows which are messed up. By the time I subscribe to that, I would be paying more for AT&T TV Now.

Now I only have YouTube TV and Sling to check out. I have heard some good stuff about Philo. But for now, I subscribe to Prime, ESPN+, Netflix, Disney + and possibly Apple TV+.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's why I haven't cut the cord. i'm too lazy to use all of the different services and whatnot. It's too much work for me.