Could Sirius have paid bubba with the McCartney concert money?

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
howard was talking about how much they probably paid mccartney to do this concert. could they have easily re-signed bubba for a couple years for a few million bucks??? Just wondering.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Maybe the McCartney channel was part of the payment. Front and center promotion to 20 million subscribers has to have some value.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
howard was talking about how much they probably paid mccartney to do this concert. could they have easily re-signed bubba for a couple years for a few million bucks??? Just wondering.

Probably. But they probably just didn't think it was worth it and the concert is far better promotion for Sirius.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
If Sirius Paid Paul McCartney $2 Million for a 2 hour show, just imagine how many 4 hour BTLS shows we could have received over 1 year!

This is another classic example of SIRIUS wasting money, when they could be locking in their proven talent who would give their left nut to have an uncensored radio show as long as they were compensated fairly.

I think Bubba would have stayed exclusive to Sirius had they offered him this type of money back in 2007 before he went back to the terrestrial deal.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
And how much did they pay Dr. Laura?? It amazes me how Sirius is learning nothing from terrestrial radio. Treat your talent right, keep them around, and your listeners will stay. Get rid of the talk talent, and there's little reason not to switch from Sirius to a music service like Pandora, slacker, etc.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
And how much did they pay Dr. Laura?? It amazes me how Sirius is learning nothing from terrestrial radio. Treat your talent right, keep them around, and your listeners will stay. Get rid of the talk talent, and there's little reason not to switch from Sirius to a music service like Pandora, slacker, etc.

i'm not gonna listen to dr. laura, but lets be real here. she is proven talent and had large ratings syndicated testicular radio tho. not that that would keep me subscribing to sirius.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Howard and Bubba teach the important lessons to their fans that all the other money spent at Sirius XM should instead be spent on them.

I'm just glad all the fans are paying attention to the important financial lessons from Multi-Millionaires that they deserve EVEN more money than has already been allotted to them.

Reactions: Snoozer

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
i'm not gonna listen to dr. laura, but lets be real here. she is proven talent and had large ratings syndicated testicular radio tho. not that that would keep me subscribing to sirius.

I agree with you - but Bubba has millions of listeners NOW. Sirius better keep those they have happy. A bird in hand...

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Howard and Bubba teach the important lessons to their fans that all the other money spent at Sirius XM should instead be spent on them.

I'm just glad all the fans are paying attention to the important financial lessons from Multi-Millionaires that they deserve EVEN more money than has already been allotted to them.

I don't think all the money needs to be spent on just a few people, and I agree that Dr. Laura could be a big draw. But I feel that Bubba and crew have not been treated well. Jason Ellis is also being treated like shiate. There's a lot of talent on these channels that seem to be treated like dirt while people like Jami Foxx, who really isn't a draw and really doesn't contribute, gets treated like a king.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I don't think all the money needs to be spent on just a few people, and I agree that Dr. Laura could be a big draw. But I feel that Bubba and crew have not been treated well. Jason Ellis is also being treated like shiate. There's a lot of talent on these channels that seem to be treated like dirt while people like Jami Foxx, who really isn't a draw and really doesn't contribute, gets treated like a king.

Who knows what the real story is? There are a lot of people in the world who will tell you that they are not being treated well, regardless of how much money (or whatever) you throw at them. Why is it relevant to Stern or anyone else how much money Oprah gets paid (except for Oprah, of course)?? Worry about your own deal, not someone else's. For whatever the reason, Oprah (or whomever) negotiated that deal, and someone at the company agreed to it. Case closed. What the hell does it have to do with Stern??

I dismiss at face value the rhetoric that you hear from Stern, Bubba and the rest of these self-aggrandizing morons. To me, it's nothing more than show content.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Who knows what the real story is? There are a lot of people in the world who will tell you that they are not being treated well, regardless of how much money (or whatever) you throw at them. Why is it relevant to Stern or anyone else how much money Oprah gets paid (except for Oprah, of course)?? Worry about your own deal, not someone else's. For whatever the reason, Oprah (or whomever) negotiated that deal, and someone at the company agreed to it. Case closed. What the hell does it have to do with Stern??

I dismiss at face value the rhetoric that you hear from Stern, Bubba and the rest of these self-aggrandizing morons. To me, it's nothing more than show content.

I couldn't agree more. I LOVE Howard and Bubba but when Howard says he feels disrespected and we CAN'T see it at all and Sirius paid him the largest deal in radio history...along with lots of vacation time and Fridays off...well it's a little hard to be sympathetic.

Radio hosts have about one of the only jobs where this could fly. Not a lot of people can bitch about their employer and how much they get paid to such a large audience before eventually they get canned.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I couldn't agree more. I LOVE Howard and Bubba but when Howard says he feels disrespected and we CAN'T see it at all and Sirius paid him the largest deal in radio history...along with lots of vacation time and Fridays off...well it's a little hard to be sympathetic.

Radio hosts have about one of the only jobs where this could fly. Not a lot of people can bitch about their employer and how much they get paid to such a large audience before eventually they get canned.

I think your right. Look at all the money, time off Sirius gave him. Thats a great deal. If it were me I would shut up and enjoy it.

I think Howard is pissed because when Oprah was there at Sirius they hid his picture. Thats pretty fucked up. The man that came in and saved Sirius should not be treated like that. Especially when Oprah is around. I also think Howard talks about Jamie Fox, Oprah and so on because he's pissed. Say what you want about him now, but he worked his ass off to get where he is today. Radio was his life. Now Oprah and all the others get these sweet deals and they never paid their dues in radio. I'm sure its the same with Bubba. He worked his ass off to get where he is today.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I think your right. Look at all the money, time off Sirius gave him. Thats a great deal. If it were me I would shut up and enjoy it.

I think Howard is pissed because when Oprah was there at Sirius they hid his picture. Thats pretty fucked up. The man that came in and saved Sirius should not be treated like that. Especially when Oprah is around. I also think Howard talks about Jamie Fox, Oprah and so on because he's pissed. Say what you want about him now, but he worked his ass off to get where he is today. Radio was his life. Now Oprah and all the others get these sweet deals and they never paid their dues in radio. I'm sure its the same with Bubba. He worked his ass off to get where he is today.

Once again I completely agree. The Oprah picture thing pissed him off. That wasn't cool of them at all on Mgmt's part.

That being said he does look at these other entertainers and compares who puts in time and effort. Well if you it's all about how much time a given personality puts in then maybe Shuli should be paid tens of $millions a year. But stuff just doesn't work like that.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I like Bubba and think he got a raw deal from Sirius a few yrs ago when he went to one live day only because they wouldn't pay him. But I really think just from an advertising stand point this 2 mil (or whatever it is) is probably better spent on this concert than Bubba. It will get far more press than he would probably have a better chance of bringing in new subs.

thats not to say I don't like Bubba or don't think he deserves to get paid I just think Sirius sees the money well spent on this concert.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
In general, people are paid what their employer feels that they are worth.
Anyone who runs a company will tell you that one of the hardest part of managing people is to come up with that value, communicate it to the employee, and manage their expectations.
It's never a pleasant experience when one comes to the realization that, in reality, they are not worth what they think that they are worth.

Makes for an amusing soap opera when you don't have a stake in it, though...

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
It's also about mainstream marketing vs. someone who cannot really fit the mainstream. Oprah is easier to market and will ***ALWAYS*** have a larger reach than a guy who finds Red Peters a great talent.