Daily Music Highlights

Discussion in 'DRC Site Feedback' started by SIRIUSaboutXM, Feb 22, 2014.

?

Would DRC members be in favor of making this a Sticky Thread?

1. Yes

91.7%
  2. No

8.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

While I was out, and even before then, I notice a huge lack of interest in the SXM Music forum. I will return to posting highlights and noteworthy specials if I get at least 12 likes and/or responses here and propose making this thread a 'sticky' to keep us all informed on "Whats On Today".
    Ehilbert1 likes this.
  2. SIRIUSaboutXM

Sadly, this went exactly as I predicted- not near enough interest to make it worth my while.

So Aaron, semipenguin and HecticArt: I appreciate your interest, but why do you think out of the 43 people that viewed this, only 3 choose to vote, respond or like?

1) Too lazy to touch the 'Like' Button or don't understand it?

2) Most people are happy paying for their Subscription without knowing what's on?

3) Would rather find out all the large number of special programming on their own?

4) Would rather see all the Countdown lists(AT40, Big 40 Coutdown, Sixties Satellite Survey) after they air and not before?

In that case, you should go here Welcome to the world of satellite radio - SiriusXM Radio to get the details of these and many, many more upcoming events:

> 2.0 Xtra channel 'Classic College Radio' Takes-over a regular Satellite Channel

> Exclusive Live shows from The Police, The Fray, Muse, Dierks Bentley, Darlene Love, Doc Watson, Tommy Castro, Tarrus Riley, Chase Rice, Cole Swindell, Big & Rich and Neal McCoy

> Brand NEW Lamb of GOD!!

> Upcoming festivities surrounding the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ceremonies (Very bad news just in about KISS!!)

> Women Rock Week w/Lizzy Hale from Halestorm, Maria Brink from In This Moment, Sharon den Adel from Within Temptation, Taylor Momsen from The Pretty Reckless, Melissa Burnos from Burnos, Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil, Sarah Anthony from The Letter Black, and many more

> Members of Styx take a cue from 'That Metal Show' and tell us and play " Hits The Wish They Wrote"

> Iconography: Pet Shop Boys Special- Veteran Billboard Magazine editor and music journalist Larry Flick sits down with Pet Shop Boys Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe, with a look back at their amazing 30 years of music and a celebration of the release of their new album, "Electric"

> Bone Thugs Takeover

> Maha Shivratri
  3. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I'm sorry I missed the poll. This is the first chance I've had to log on in a few days. I just wanted to say you've made me aware of some programming of interest that I could have missed.

I understand what it is like to be short of free time at times, so whatever you decide to do, I just wanted to let you know your tips have been appreciated.
    Ehilbert1 likes this.
  4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I can't speak for others, but it's great to come here and read all of the stuff that you collect to share with us. There are a number of channels that aren't my cup of tea, so I don't comment, but I still read to see what's going on. I think that there are a lot of folks that read but don't post.

Like Madison said, it's up to you. All of the effort that you've put into this really is appreciated.
  5. SIRIUSaboutXM

4 down, 8 to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. SIRIUSaboutXM

Up to 84 views and 80 people decide to not vote, hit the like button or respond? Wow! Your voice cannot be heard!
  7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Come on people. All of this great programming in one great location. All provided for you at no cost. Your support makes it all possible.

These tote bags aren't going to give themselves away.

Sent from Tapatalk.
  8. SIRIUSaboutXM

I think a week is plenty of time for all DRC members to act on this. I asked for very little from you and was prepared to offer a lot.

Results: 4488 members did not respond & ONLY 6 did. Since we live in a democratic environment, your choice has clearly been made.

Very important: Aaron, HecticArt, semipenguin, wpicha, MadisonRadio1, Sirterp Your support is greatly appreciated and it will not go un-noticed- If you will send me a PM telling me what your preferences are, I will occasionally send you some cool stuff! You will find 2 pages of the most recent highlights in your inbox right now!

Actually, this will work much better for me as my business is picking up big-time right now and I'll spend much less time here.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  9. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I don't subscribe to Sirius and don't frequent the forums, but I happen to see this before I logged in.

1. I do the 'Slacker Spotlight Pick of the Day' on an occasional basis, doesn't get a lot of attention, but it's something I enjoy doing, and it helps me (as well as others) discover new music, and pay more attention to Slacker as a service. Lack of attention doesn't stop me from doing it. It helps that it's not really planned, it's just that I happened to be listening to Slacker at the time, hear a song and think 'Wow, wouldn't this be cool on the Spotlight.' That's basically it.

2. What I've been crying out for more, is the involvement of the users here in making DRC worth coming to for more people. And they don't necessarily have to be Sirius Subscribers (although I concede it is sponsored and run by a Satellite Radio Retailer, of course being TSSRadio.com). What makes that less so is the 'personal' threads showing up on the front page when someone logs in, and shows a lot less of what this board is supposed to be about.

3. When I do see a Sirius/Slacker other other related thread make the front page list, it heartens me that there are people that care and that are doing their 'jobs' (none of us is getting paid to do it, unless someone's hiding something).

4. Having said that, even the 'personal' threads make it a good place to come to, I help with the CDT and the ATW and I'd like to think that makes it an enjoyable experience. All the personal 'song of the day' threads are a nice touch because it's a reflection of what that person is into. It lets people know that there aren't just robots running the place here, and there's a personal touch behind that screen name.

Ultimately, it's your decision, if you don't have the time to do it, you can either do as I did and delegate some of the tasks to other users (much the same way Wolf helps with the ATW) or you can quit doing it completely. That's up to you, but if you think no one's reading it or no one cares, you couldn't be more wrong.

So there. :D
  10. SIRIUSaboutXM

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts Jon :agree: Hectic has told me many times that and I believe you both. But, the simple fact speaks for itself: almost 200 views and only a few members take the 2 seconds needed to make ANY acknowledgement is flat-out unacceptable and made my final choice very easy.

I now ask you this again:

Why do you think out of the 191 views this, only a tiny handful choose to vote, respond or like?

1) Too lazy to touch the 'Like' Button or don't understand it?

2) Most people are happy paying for their Subscription without knowing what's on?

3) Would rather find out all the large number of special programming on their own?

4) Would rather see all the Countdown lists(AT40, Big 40 Coutdown, Sixties Satellite Survey) after they air and not before?
  11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I think it's more the passive nature of a lot of folks on the forum. We have a ton of people that read regularly, but rarely ever post. The number of members with less than 25 posts that joined in the first year or two, and still log in a few times a month is pretty high. I don't know if it's that we answer all of their questions, or that we're so chummy that they feel like they are interrupting or something. Either way, 200 views looks like people appreciate your effort even of they don't comment or vote. I'm not trying to talk you into changing your decision, you shouldn't do the work if you're not having fun with it. So any way that you want to participate is welcome.
  12. SIRIUSaboutXM

In a very surprising development, I sent out highlights to the 6 people who Liked my original post here and asked them to respond and only 2 did!!

This will be my last post in this thread, and I'm sure everyone will be glad cause it's a long one, but this has actually enlightened me to some important things!

I am way older than most frequent posters at DRC, so it's much more understandable that others do not share my interests, especially in music. I joined XM in 2002 and still love the service, especially the special programming that I was big on here.

The focus at DRC has taken an obvious 180 turn from the original concept it was originally designed for. Back in '08 it was probably about 80% talking about Satellite Radio & 20% Off Topic. It has migrated now to about 90% of traffic discussing other topics & about 10% SiriusXM- what a huge reversal!!

And I attribute that to several factors:

1) A lot less members subscribe to SXM now because of the increasingly imcompident Customer Service and long-time subscribers losing their favorite channels, shows and hosts without ANY notice and have changed to other music services. Just ask Jon!

2) I think a lot more DRC members that still subscribe to SXM are much, much more passive than ever before for some reason that I cannot explain.

3) More DRC members than before listen mainly to Talk & Sports

4) Whoever is now running the DRC facebook https://www.facebook.com/digitalradiocentral page is clearly diverting the subject matter away from anything to do with SiriusXM- 16 new posts(although 0 likes) which signals that even that person have lost interest!

I have more respect for what you do here than I could ever express Hectic, but I don't understand how you can consider "Views' as a way of members to express they appreciate my contributions- you may want to re-evaluate the purpose of the "Like" button.

It's tons of fun when people participate in discussions about SXM- that's why I joined!!

However, no fun at all when they don't :cry: :ignore:

In summary, it is without a doubt, not enough interest in SXM on this board for me to continue to put the time in I have contributed in the past. If there were more members like HecticArt, Aaron, semipenguin, wpicha, MadisonRadio1 & Sirterp that have shown their interest in SXM programming, I think this forum would be a much better place! I have no hard feeling at all and I'll still check in from time to time to see if things change. My business is super busy this time of year, so not so much for a while.

PS- if anyone wants any help with these shows or any type of programming, just send me a PM and I'll be glad to help when I get the time.

Upcoming events:

2 latest lead singers of Queen: Adam Lambert & Paul Rodgers of BadCo have 2 separate specials!

Track by track preview of Boston's new CD!

Track by track special of SoundGarden's 20th anniversary of Superunknown!

Tears for Fears Blast from the past Live Concert!

St Paddy's Day Specials on several channels!

Special In-house Live sessions at BB King's Bluesville!

A new DJ on the 60son6 just started doing his show Live and is taking phone calls & requests!
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Thanks for all the time you invested in the forum. Speaking for myself I rarely care about list of what is coming on rather it be Sat Radio or Television. In my opinion most folk channel surf these days.

Speaking of the forum it is a mere shadow of its former self. I frequent many forums for years. Most of them have grown and changed as needed. This forum never made the leap and so to some degree it's just become a closed social club. That is my opinion and some may disagree and that is fine.

Again thank you for your 6 years of posting those channel listing.

Send from Note 3 with Tapatalk HD
    hyson likes this.
  14. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thanks for your time here. :bigclap:
  15. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

You're the king! Well, the other King......
  16. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I too will miss the steady stream of programming highlights, but I completely understand your decision.

Thanks for all your work around here... visit often, and contribute when you feel like it.

We're still counting on you for some ACC/Clemson representation in the Sports forum.. :cool:
  17. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

5) Use TapTalk and do not see the poll ... but do vote when they (rarely) go on a PC.
  18. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Oh yeah, there is that too. Generally though, our culture here is shifting and participation isn't what it used to be. It can get frustrating for those of us that are still excited about these services to put energy into something great, and get a cool response.

While we are hopeful that activity here picks up again, we'll keep this site a friendly, open place that people can discuss all of the entertainment and services that we already cover, and feel that they can discuss those that we don't yet as well. We want people to be comfortable participating in any capacity that they are comfortable with, even if it's just reading and not posting.

All of the great great work that SIRIUSAboutXM has put into this site has been very impressive. Like the rest of us mods and admins, he contributed all of that energy as a volunteer and fan of the service. My hat is off to him, and I fully understand his decision. Hopefully at some point he still shares a little info with us, and at the very least, keeps hanging out with us. Thank you for everything SIRIUSAboutXM.
  19. SIRIUSaboutXM

I am more confused than I thought possible. Apparently, no one is reading what I post- just glancing.

Please read this and then go back to the beginning of this thread and take a closer look. My ONLY intention ever in this matter, was to spark interest in the SXM Programming forums which are DEAD.

RECAP

Last month, 2 weeks ago, I asked all DRC members to make a simple decision: If 12 members touched the "Like" button, I would deem that enough people to continue my contributions. Only got 6.

After a week later, I came back and checked and still only 6 people. Your decision could not have been more clear. I hope someone else has better luck getting people interested.

So, since the discussion is closed, I attempt to close the thread on Wednesday and suddenly 2 WEEKS LATER, more people respond in 1 day than than the previous 14 days! Were were you when your voice would have counted?

This raises some questions that definitly need to be addressed in the DRC Site Feedback thread.

People, I'm not going anywhere, I just wont be putting all the extra time into Programming info that I used to.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    HecticArt likes this.
  20. SIRIUSaboutXM

Hey Hectic- I sent you a PM 2 weeks ago & asked you to respond- what up wit dat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.