Damn, Bubba's shot out of a cannon today (Oct 30th)!!

Smok44

Nov 19, 2008
Belmar, NJ
:jj: That's not happening. Unreasonable people are not going to stop being unreasonable. People can be told time and time again Bubba was forced not to disclose the deal until the start of the new deal. But they'll still blame the Bubba crew for it. They can be told that Bubba was willing to do two shows just for a simple time slot change, but it was still Bubba that decided to give them something less than what they were used to.

Bubba needs to stop being all apologetic and move the fuck on. Accept that he should've fucking left and left Sirius XM to deal with the ensuing shitstorm. Although he's right people would've hated him if he left as well. For all we know, they would've tried to ask him back months after he left.

Maybe this time next year, he'll work up the guts to cut the Sirius XM cord once and for all if the company continues down this path.

Makes me wonder if/how Howard will react.
Maybe he took the one year deal to sing his farewell song to the loyal listeners that he had? Had he just picked up and left, he would have pissed everyone off. This way he at least got to explain before he signed off of Sirius. Granted he had to wait til the end, but he at least got the truth out and his fan base now knows the dilly

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
You know when Howard Stern is angry there is something wrong with the company. You've got the biggest name in radio history with you and you don't promote him? While Oprah gets red carpet treatment.

That says a lot about why satellite radio is a joke. The people running it have no clue. Nobody signs up for Oprah or any of the horseshit channels they have on there. Their advertising campaign is non-existent. They deserve to fail.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
You know when Howard Stern is angry there is something wrong with the company. You've got the biggest name in radio history with you and you don't promote him? While Oprah gets red carpet treatment.

That says a lot about why satellite radio is a joke. The people running it have no clue. Nobody signs up for Oprah or any of the horseshit channels they have on there. Their advertising campaign is non-existent. They deserve to fail.
Moderately true words but ouch.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

Moderately true words but ouch.

While I do think that the technology is wonderful(*), the people running the show (music programming, suits, etc.) don't have much of a clue as to how to run it.

(*)Not in terms of "acquiring signal" messages and logos that don't properly update, but in terms of a national radio service with very few limits on content.

Last edited:

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
my question is why would they (sirius mgmt) want oprah on sirius? I mean why would anyone pay for her 30 min of exclusive content when they get an hour a day of her on TV in HD if you want.
I think the HOPE is that she brings her audience on board the SIRIUS XM wagon especially as she is a hell of a sales woman. But she doesn't seem to care about putting energy into that, as a lot of people don't.

It's also a sales pitch to offset the Evil Howard Stern. For all those that are so scared of someone like Howard they see a Martha Stewart or an Oprah and they feel that this company has more diversity than just and evil human being that asks women to take their clothes off.

But Oprah seems spread too thin and doesn't give to SIRIUS XM what it gives to her. I wish she would pimp out her show and programming more or at least give away some XM Skydocks or something on her favorite things. But it's not going to happen :(

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
But Oprah seems spread too thin and doesn't give to SIRIUS XM what it gives to her. I wish she would pimp out her show and programming more or at least give away some XM Skydocks or something on her favorite things. But it's not going to happen :(
This seems to always be the part that the Sirius XM suits never quite get. Signing all of these big names doesn't necessarily mean their minions are going to pony up $13+ a month. Oprah sells lots of books for people because she has whole shows about them. She sells lots of "O" magazine because a yearly sub is pretty cheap.

If these big names aren't going to have to do some legwork to bring in people that justify their paychecks, something has to give. I just hope it's not Sirius XM giving up and going (more) broke.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Had he just picked up and left, he would have pissed everyone off.
Exactly. It was a no win situation and people were already turning against him thinking he should take whatever shit deal he was offered for such a golden opportunity. And Sirius XM saw him as a sucker, and it worked.

Because no matter how much swagger he acts like he has in regards to his show. There's an underlying insecurity there and Sirius XM took full advantage of it. Mel himself told Bubba he'd fail on FM and that they'd be there to take him back. Not the best way to foster good talent relations.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Just read through there and I too seem to remember Bubba saying he made no salary that first year. Yet, on Friday, he said he made $181k. Perhaps that's off Bubbaraw/t-shirts, but who knows.
The way I understood it was that the amount he mentioned was what was left at the end of the year after the BRN studio expenses and the staff's salaries are paid. But what you said sounds reasonable too.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I don't go to BTLS.com forums anymore are they still active?
I poke in every so often if I'm looking for some info on something I might have missed - seems they are a lot quieter these days than they were a few years back.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
:rofl:

You gotta use that more often.

And thanks Chob for linking it. You are the eyes of the web. I don't go to BTLS.com forums anymore are they still active?
Honestly man, I don't go there often, but I'm assuming it's still on the slow side. I kind of got sick of the place when people were wishing harm on the crew, their wives, and even Tyler over the contract deal and I realized thanks to software limitations, I really couldn't do shit to deal with it like it should have been dealt with. And the atmosphere just became really shitty with a lot of infighting and motherfucking Bubba on his own site and I got fed up.

And when Bubba said he was going to take it down, I kind of took it at face value and told SJ I'd help with the other place.

Last edited:

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
my question is why would they (sirius mgmt) want oprah on sirius? I mean why would anyone pay for her 30 min of exclusive content when they get an hour a day of her on TV in HD if you want.
Ideally, the Oprah TV show would be on in the mornings, then her fans could use her show to call in and talk to her about the TV show, or whatever else was on their mind.

If Oprah could actually promote Sirius XM, that could easily be worth a few million more subscriptions.

This seems to always be the part that the Sirius XM suits never quite get. Signing all of these big names doesn't necessarily mean their minions are going to pony up $13+ a month. Oprah sells lots of books for people because she has whole shows about them. She sells lots of "O" magazine because a yearly sub is pretty cheap.

If these big names aren't going to have to do some legwork to bring in people that justify their paychecks, something has to give. I just hope it's not Sirius XM giving up and going (more) broke.

You're right. Sirius (and XM) thinks/thought that they could easily repeated the "Howard Effect" with Oprah, Martha, and all the other celebrities.

Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way, especially since you can hear many of these celebrities in other places as well.

If Oprah quit her TV show in favor of an exclusive Sirius XM deal...daaaamn!

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
You're right. Sirius (and XM) thinks/thought that they could easily repeated the "Howard Effect" with Oprah, Martha, and all the other celebrities.
It takes a lot to convince people to pay the monthly fee. One is being the only place someone can be heard.

Unlike what some at Sirius XM think, people "have an alternative." :jj: Many in fact.

And curiously, Bubba mentioned having a podcast option. They way he put it had me thinking it was a deal with another content provider, instead of doing it himself.
BUBBA CLEM said:
I HAD A VERY VERY EXCITED INTERNET/DOWNLOADABLE
OPTION. THAT I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN...AND WILL NEXT TIME..
Is he saying it was exciting to him? Or someone else was excited about bringing him aboard? That's the fun in speculation I guess. :jj: They do have btls.com, Bubba Raw and the capability to stream. But if someone else was willing to pay for it to be an attraction to their site, Bubba would be foolish not to consider it.

Last edited: