Debt...

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
This is the first time in 5 years we're breaking even with our taxes. We've been owing huge money. It all started with the year we bought the lot of land that we put the house on. It also happened to be the same year as our older daughter's wedding. Then the next year, we dumped a bunch of money into getting the old house ready to sell. Then the next two years were the construction of the house, and all the add-ons and finish work. Last year was catching up with the IRS.

We're also refinancing, to get a fixed rate under 3%. And we're taking a couple of years off the mortgage (it's still a ridiculous payoff date). I know that many people have been hurting, and out of work, and so what we went through doesn't compare, because it's our own doing. But like a runaway train, we couldn't just change our minds after we made the commitment. I'm looking forward to paving the driveway this summer. It will make my life complete.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This is the first time in 5 years we're breaking even with our taxes. We've been owing huge money. It all started with the year we bought the lot of land that we put the house on. It also happened to be the same year as our older daughter's wedding. Then the next year, we dumped a bunch of money into getting the old house ready to sell. Then the next two years were the construction of the house, and all the add-ons and finish work. Last year was catching up with the IRS.

We're also refinancing, to get a fixed rate under 3%. And we're taking a couple of years off the mortgage (it's still a ridiculous payoff date). I know that many people have been hurting, and out of work, and so what we went through doesn't compare, because it's our own doing. But like a runaway train, we couldn't just change our minds after we made the commitment. I'm looking forward to paving the driveway this summer. It will make my life complete.
Congrats! Getting the debt monkey off of your back is a great feeling.

I think last year was the first year I've had to pay taxes in in a long time.
Hopefully I get a little back this year.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I guess this is kinda the opposite of debt, but you know when you buy something with checking it takes the money from your account, so you can see the new total, but the charge stays pending for a day or two? Have you ever had pending charges clear and then money be added back to your account? I haven't until today. I had 3 pending charges and the total in my checking reflected them, but then I check this morning and they cleared and somehow I now have $115 more in the account than I did yesterday. And there are no new deposits listed. I looked over all the charges and everything seems to be in order. I'm certainly not complaining about getting more money, but I don't know where it came from.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I guess this is kinda the opposite of debt, but you know when you buy something with checking it takes the money from your account, so you can see the new total, but the charge stays pending for a day or two? Have you ever had pending charges clear and then money be added back to your account? I haven't until today. I had 3 pending charges and the total in my checking reflected them, but then I check this morning and they cleared and somehow I now have $115 more in the account than I did yesterday. And there are no new deposits listed. I looked over all the charges and everything seems to be in order. I'm certainly not complaining about getting more money, but I don't know where it came from.
While I can't be sure, possibly a pending charge was reversed, or it was applied twice and one was reversed, or there was a test withdrawal made to your account. Enjoy it while it lasts.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
On a credit card, I see the pending charges. They sometimes get removed when the charge is confirmed. But sometimes, it stays for a while then just disappears. They show up against my $ available but not in my $ owing.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I've long wanted a collectible car. Now I just want to drive my non-collectible car over asphalt.
There's an interesting story that goes along with the money we're using to pave the driveway. And since you guys seem to like a good story, here it goes.

Back when we were building the house, on one of the many days we felt like we were in over our heads, we were facing huge costs to purchase all the material for the kitchen. We were given an allowance by the builder, but of course, once you actually design the kitchen, and select the cabinets and counters and bathroom vanities (they were part of the same budget), it ends up way over. It happened that if you left out the cost of the countertops, we'd be in-budget. Mrs. Scotch joked that we needed a rich uncle to come out of nowhere, and pay for our countertops.

A month later, I got a letter from the American Research Bureau, saying that a relative of mine had passed, and since they had no children, I was in line for an inheritance. My father's brother, who died 10 years ago, left a wife, and she had just died. They never had kids, so their estate would be split between the siblings. My uncle's wife was Norwegian, and her name was Marja. She had a brother and sister in Norway. And my uncle was my dad's brother, but my dad died a long time ago. So the estate would be split 3 ways, with my dad's family getting a third. There's 3 of us kids, so we'd each get a ninth of the total estate. Since my brother is gone, his 2 kids would split his ninth.

When I was 17, we took a family trip to the west coast. We started in San Francisco, went to Monterey, Saint Louis Obispo, then over to Vegas (stopping at the Hearst mansion), then on to LA. We landed in SF during a hotel worker strike, and also, Mt. St. Helens was erupting. So if you looked it up, you could figure out the exact date. Anyway, the only time I ever met my uncle and aunt was in SF on Fisherman's Wharf. We had dinner together.

At some point, they moved to the Topanga hills outside of LA. The "estate" that I'd be getting part of, was just the proceeds from the sale of their house. They bought the house in the early 80's; it burned down at one point, and they rebuilt it. It looked like a shack, but because of the real estate market, it was worth close to $1M. But they had been taking a reverse mortgage on it, so the equity was small. Also, it narrowly avoided being burned down again in the recent wildfires. The total estate of my aunt and uncle includes bank accounts and personal property, but that goes to her siblings only.

The American Research Bureau gets one-third of our part of the inheritance, which sounds like a lot, but it includes all of the attorney representation in the state of California. And frankly, without them, we wouldn't know anything about this. It took over 3 years to settle the estate and get the inheritance. There was a Jewish congregation (a Chabad) who claimed my uncle willed them $100,000, but they didn't have signed documents proving it, so they settled for $10,000.

In the end, the same week I was buying my replacement car, was the week we got our inheritance check. It's about enough to pave a driveway.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
While I can't be sure, possibly a pending charge was reversed, or it was applied twice and one was reversed, or there was a test withdrawal made to your account. Enjoy it while it lasts.

But when charges get reversed, like when I buy something from Amazon then cancel it, or return something to Walmart, that reversal always shows up in the account as a line item. I don't have anything like that this time.

There's an interesting story that goes along with the money we're using to pave the driveway. And since you guys seem to like a good story, here it goes.

Back when we were building the house, on one of the many days we felt like we were in over our heads, we were facing huge costs to purchase all the material for the kitchen. We were given an allowance by the builder, but of course, once you actually design the kitchen, and select the cabinets and counters and bathroom vanities (they were part of the same budget), it ends up way over. It happened that if you left out the cost of the countertops, we'd be in-budget. Mrs. Scotch joked that we needed a rich uncle to come out of nowhere, and pay for our countertops.

A month later, I got a letter from the American Research Bureau, saying that a relative of mine had passed, and since they had no children, I was in line for an inheritance. My father's brother, who died 10 years ago, left a wife, and she had just died. They never had kids, so their estate would be split between the siblings. My uncle's wife was Norwegian, and her name was Marja. She had a brother and sister in Norway. And my uncle was my dad's brother, but my dad died a long time ago. So the estate would be split 3 ways, with my dad's family getting a third. There's 3 of us kids, so we'd each get a ninth of the total estate. Since my brother is gone, his 2 kids would split his ninth.

When I was 17, we took a family trip to the west coast. We started in San Francisco, went to Monterey, Saint Louis Obispo, then over to Vegas (stopping at the Hearst mansion), then on to LA. We landed in SF during a hotel worker strike, and also, Mt. St. Helens was erupting. So if you looked it up, you could figure out the exact date. Anyway, the only time I ever met my uncle and aunt was in SF on Fisherman's Wharf. We had dinner together.

At some point, they moved to the Topanga hills outside of LA. The "estate" that I'd be getting part of, was just the proceeds from the sale of their house. They bought the house in the early 80's; it burned down at one point, and they rebuilt it. It looked like a shack, but because of the real estate market, it was worth close to $1M. But they had been taking a reverse mortgage on it, so the equity was small. Also, it narrowly avoided being burned down again in the recent wildfires. The total estate of my aunt and uncle includes bank accounts and personal property, but that goes to her siblings only.

The American Research Bureau gets one-third of our part of the inheritance, which sounds like a lot, but it includes all of the attorney representation in the state of California. And frankly, without them, we wouldn't know anything about this. It took over 3 years to settle the estate and get the inheritance. There was a Jewish congregation (a Chabad) who claimed my uncle willed them $100,000, but they didn't have signed documents proving it, so they settled for $10,000.

In the end, the same week I was buying my replacement car, was the week we got our inheritance check. It's about enough to pave a driveway.

That indeed is a good story. I wonder what the Norwegians did with their portion. Probably spent it all on Viking helmets.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I was employed at my old job until April 2020. There's this site (ADP) that shows paystubs and W2 and all that. It's not giving me my 2020 W2. I called the office and they said it would show up or they'd send it to me in the mail. That was like 4 weeks ago. I gotta do my taxes at some point soon. How do I handle this?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I was employed at my old job until April 2020. There's this site (ADP) that shows paystubs and W2 and all that. It's not giving me my 2020 W2. I called the office and they said it would show up or they'd send it to me in the mail. That was like 4 weeks ago. I gotta do my taxes at some point soon. How do I handle this?
In Canada, if you did not have your T4 slip by 02/28 the company would be fined. Not sure if the same in USA. If so, report them.

• Wow
Reactions: JHDK

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
U.S. companies are required to make W2s available by January 31st.

Did they mail them to you or just available through ADP?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
U.S. companies are required to make W2s available by January 31st.

Did they mail them to you or just available through ADP?
Your tax deadline is ahead of ours. March 15th if I recall. In Canada it's April 30th unless that is a Sunday, then its May 1st.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I have serious tax time problems. I'm super worried about it. At some point I'm going to have to call my aunt and uncle for advice and I'm not looking forward to that call. They are awesome and loving and great to have as family but they are way smarter than I and it's embarrassing to be my age and need to basically call adults for help. I'm putting it off until next week. F me.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Finished and filed my taxes!!!

I had to use the TaxAct help section which cost me an additional $65 but some guy called me and stayed on the phone with me for like an hour while we were sharing my screen and he explained everything and now I'm super confident I did everything right. What a monkey off my back. I've never had to file with the unemployment documents before so I'm glad I had the help.

And somehow I still get a refund. Apparently the first 10k of unemployment is exempt from taxes so that was a huge help. I was convinced going into this that for the first time ever I would actually owe money.

What a relief.

Last edited: