Delphi MyFi problem

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I recently had to replace the MyFi I had due to it not connecting to various docks I have and it would then run off battery. Luckily, I had a spare that I bought as a disaster recovery plan in case this happened. This replacement is working great now. I probably need to look for another spare.

Reactions: HecticArt

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I have tried two different MyFi receivers in two different home kits plus truck kit. No FM Modulator station is working. Has SirusXM done something to these? Is it even possible? THanks,

Also, can someone else with a MyFi try out it's FM Modulator?

romad

Jul 3, 2013
I have tried two different MyFi receivers in two different home kits plus truck kit. No FM Modulator station is working. Has SirusXM done something to these? Is it even possible? THanks,

Also, can someone else with a MyFi try out it's FM Modulator?

I just went out and tried mine without any problems. I just followed the steps from the manual:

Make any FM radio an XM radio
Your MyFi contains a built-in FM transmitter that sends the XM audio signal to any nearby FM radio—home stereo, boombox, car radio, or marine radio.
1. Turn on your FM radio and turn off your MyFi. Unplug any headphone or audio cable from your MyFi’s headphone jack and any audio cables connected to the home stand or vehicle cradle. 

2. You need to find an FM frequency that is not being used by any commercial FM station. Tune your FM radio to the following frequencies: 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7, 88.9, 106.7, 106.9, 107.1, 107.3, 107.5, 107.7, and 107.9 Note which frequency has no FM station or the least amount of interference. 

3. Turn on your MyFi.
4. Using the “menu” button and the dial, select “Set FM Frequency.”
5. Rotate the dial to highlight the FM frequency you found in step 2. Press the dial in to select that frequency.
6. You should now hear XM programming on your FM radio. If the sound isn’t clear or you hear noise or static, try another FM frequency. If you’re traveling, you may need to retune periodically; this is due to the differences in signal strength of local FM stations and is not a problem associated with your MyFi.

I do have to say I don't have an AM/FM antenna mast so most of those frequencies were pretty quiet.

Reactions: HecticArt

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
What FM frequency did you get the best reception on? When you say "most of those frequencies were pretty quiet", I think you should at least hear something even though there is static. Thanks for the reply.

Edit:
Also, when I lost the FM Modular, I think it was right at 5pm on a weekday. Maybe something planned by SIRIUS XM? I am probably grasping at straws.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Could it be something with your car antenna? Did you try with a portable radio?

I highly doubt SXM has ability to do anything on old style radios. Technology did not exist when they were made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romad

Jul 3, 2013
What FM frequency did you get the best reception on? When you say "most of those frequencies were pretty quiet", I think you should at least hear something even though there is static. Thanks for the reply.

Edit:
Also, when I lost the FM Modular, I think it was right at 5pm on a weekday. Maybe something planned by SIRIUS XM? I am probably grasping at straws.

Remember that everyone's experience will be different as the FCC may not allow certain frequencies be used it your area but will allow it in mine. Now since I DON'T have an antenna mast to get AM/FM stations (see stub where it would screw on) the only stations I heard are the most powerful and most local. So for my location, they were 88.3 and 107.5 both of which seem to work just fine with a 3/8" (9.5mm) mast.

5gs9DgJ.png

In case anyone is interested, that is an OEM VW antenna for AM/FM/Sat Radio. Also I used a vacuum port cap to cover the threaded stub.

romad

Jul 3, 2013
Maybe this is why as the FM channels are in busy Columbus, Ohio

Correct. The FM band runs from 87.1 to 107.9 MHz, with channels spaced 200 KHz apart for a total of 210 possible stations. According to this page Radio stations in Columbus, Ohio - Radio Lineup all the 88 MHz and 107 MHz channels are in use in your area. You can use this to try to find vacant channels: Vacant Channels on the FM Dial

For my area, Oroville, CA, 88.5, 88.9, 107.3, 107.7, and 107.9 are supposedly not in use.

Last edited:
Reactions: goreds2