Does Second-Hand Smoke Really Void Apple's Warranty?

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Apple is apparently telling at least some customers that the amount of cigarette smoke residue inside their computers makes it unsafe for the company to perform warranty service on them, despite the lack of such a clause in the company's warranty agreement.
The Consumerist says the complaint as been raised as far as Steve Jobs' office, with no relief for the customers involved.
:confused:

Does Second-Hand Smoke Really Void Apple's Warranty? - Business Center - PC World Business Center

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Apple isn't the only one. My brother's warranty from HP was basically voided by them when he sent in his notebook for a failed fan. They told him it was so gunked up they simply wouldn't warranty it because the fan likely failed due to all the dust sticking to it because of the smoking. That was likely true, but who knows for sure, he his a heavy smoker and his display is always covered with it.

I know from my experience of working on PC's that it is true that if someone smokes a great deal around them they fans do get gunked up pretty bad. We have a couple of local builders and they will not warranty them at all if you are a smoker and bring them in for repairs.

So, Xan are you being denied coverage or you just doing your usual calling out Apple for something that doesn't impact you you whatsoever, again!

The Plan does not cover:

Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes.

It's that "other external causes" clause that's the catch-all, although you could probably argue that an atmosphere filled with smoke counts as an "extreme environment" as well.
The good news is that some of us actually have enough sense not to sit in front of our computers and smoke! The bad news, clearly some don't! I can fully understand them doing this.

Reactions: Chob

Tristan

Oct 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.tristanpipo.com
I remember when I worked for Best Buy as one of there In Store Techs before they became the "Geek Squad" I always hated getting a PC from a smoker. The stuff they make motherboards out of there doesn't seem like anything you can do to clean those things out.

My mom smokes a great deal in front of her computer probably a pack a day while sitting there and she is always getting dead power supplies and hard drive failures due to the fact she smokes. She doesn't seem to listen and is wasting money on cigarettes and computer parts and lost data.

I don't blame Apple at all or any person that sells or works on PC's with this one.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
So, Xan are you being denied coverage or you just doing your usual calling out Apple for something that doesn't impact you you whatsoever, again!
I didnt even say one bad thing about apple in this thread at all. other than they dont want smokers...

Why do you like to take my views on apple so personally? -Even when I dont express any bad thought towards them...I still get attacked.:confused:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I didnt even say one bad thing about apple in this thread at all. other than they dont want smokers...

Why do you like to take my views on apple so personally? -Even when I dont express any bad thought towards them...I still get attacked.:confused:
Personally! Hardly it is no skin off my back. Attacked! Stop trying to be cute it isn't very becoming.

Right, the only reason you posted this article was because you just found it so fascinating! LOL

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
No I posted it to see hectics fascinating collection of cute mac upgrades-

Yes, I do find any fortune 500 company that will not honor the warranty of its costumers extremely fascinating.

Ever hear of consumer advocacy? its how we got things like seat belts, labels on food and rules that are supposed to enforce companies to abide by their sated warranty policies.

"What do you mean my cracked golf club isn't covered under warranty just cause I spilled a pitcher of beer on it?"

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
No I posted it to see hectics fascinating collection of cute mac upgrades-

Yes, I do find any fortune 500 company that will not honor the warranty of its costumers extremely fascinating.

Ever hear of consumer advocacy? its how we got things like seat belts, labels on food and rules that are supposed to enforce companies to abide by their sated warranty policies.

"What do you mean my cracked golf club isn't covered under warranty just cause I spilled a pitcher of beer on it?"
Consumer advocacy, LOL Clearly any warranty has limits and exceptions. I posted what those were above, I guess you didn't read them. Oh but wait, a big fortune 500 company shouldn't have exception they should always fix their customers issues regardless!

I think your cracked golf club would be covered if it just smelled like beer. Now if you got all kinky and stuck it up your ass and it smelled like dong then that maybe a different story!

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Now if you got all kinky and stuck it up your ass and it smelled like dong then that maybe a different story!
WTF is your issue exactly dab?
You say you dont take it personally, yet you get so very personal with your insults. -Or do you just prefer it both ways?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Hey Hec, I love that Apple Mac beer tap, where can I get one of those! LOL :D

WTF is your issue exactly dab?
You say you dont take it personally, yet you get so very personal with your insults. -Or do you just prefer it both ways?
I was making the point using your own example that if you sent something in for warranty work and it was deemed to have been used in an improper way or environment that it could be denied. The stinky sticky cigarette smoke in the case of the computers and in the case of your cracked golf club if it smelled like dong do you think they would still fix it? How is that insulting! I didn't say you actually did stick a golf club up your rear end but then we aren't even taking about anything real you were using an example and I took it a step further to make my point. I thought it was pretty good comparison, though a bit funny.

One minute I am taking stuff personally, the next I have an issue, now you've say you've been so very personally insulted. Whatever man, you know this would be funny, well actually it is funny and yet you are serious! I'd say that is part of the problem, you should know by now I like messing with you and the reason I do is because I always get this reaction! When are you going to learn DAWG?

I think you need to take a step back and practice a bit of rule #62. See, I learned a long time ago to NEVER take anything you post seriously! hehehe Doesn't mean I won't ferk with you though!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
No I posted it to see hectics fascinating collection of cute mac upgrades"
In Mac Land they call them . . . . apps. . . iBelieve.

Hey Hec, I love that Apple Mac beer tap, where can I get one of those! LOL :D
That would be the iKeg, you can get it from the iLiquor store. (Easy CPT Bad, that store is not what you think it is. But it sounds really cool to me.)

And for my 2 cents. Apple (and all the others) should have a line item in the warranties that says something about subjecting your gear to extreme environments (including extreme temperature, cigarette smoke, arse holes, or humidity). I know none of ever read those darned things, but they've known that cigarette smoke gums up components and is enough of a problem that they had to make a policy to deal with claims, so they should add the line to the terms.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That would be the iKeg, you can get it from the iLiquor store. (Easy CPT Bad, that store is not what you think it is. But it sounds really cool to me.)

And for my 2 cents. Apple (and all the others) should have a line item in the warranties that says something about subjecting your gear to extreme environments (including extreme temperature, cigarette smoke, arse holes, or humidity). I know none of ever read those darned things, but they've known that cigarette smoke gums up components and is enough of a problem that they had to make a policy to deal with claims, so they should add the line to the terms.
hehehe! I love it! Darn there is no iLiquor Store online, I'll have to try to find the closest local store, only problem it's like 2 or 3 hours away!

I like your 2 cents and I agree with you. I think it should be smelled I mean spelled out exactly, but then they wouldn't have any loop holes to piss folks off with. None the less the warranty as written does give them that loop hole rather we agree with it or even like it or not. It would be great though if all companies were more up front about their specific warranties. I had a cell phone that was denied warranty replacement because it had a scratch on it. I said that was normal wear and tear, they said no that was abuse. Thank you Motorola!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
hehehe! I love it! Darn there is no iLiquor Store online, I'll have to try to find the closest local store, only problem it's like 2 or 3 hours away!

I like your 2 cents and I agree with you. I think it should be smelled I mean spelled out exactly, but then they wouldn't have any loop holes to piss folks off with. None the less the warranty as written does give them that loop hole rather we agree with it or even like it or not. It would be great though if all companies were more up front about their specific warranties. I had a cell phone that was denied warranty replacement because it had a scratch on it. I said that was normal wear and tear, they said no that was abuse. Thank you Motorola!
If I only ran the world. . . . .

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I was watching old footage of mission control at NASA during the Apollo missions last night. There were dudes smoking cigarettes, cigars and pipes around all that equipment. Suck it up, Apple. America went to the motherloving moon and back on less processing power than an iPhone, and they did it full of ashes!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I was watching old footage of mission control at NASA during the Apollo missions last night. There were dudes smoking cigarettes, cigars and pipes around all that equipment. Suck it up, Apple. America went to the motherloving moon and back on less processing power than an iPhone, and they did it full of ashes!
Considering that most of that electronic equipment is swapped with each mission, I doubt Apple has much to suck up! That equipment is probably inspected more than any equipment anywhere.