• Websites

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I've been to Disney World only a couple of times; I may never go there again. I mock people who fly thousands of miles to go there over and over, even with no kids.

And I'd love to go to New Orleans. But it's just one of many places I'd like to visit, and the rest of them have already fallen off the list.

So I can't vote on the basis of what I would prefer, because it's a flawed justification. Instead, I'm going to vote based on which of these two is recognized around the world as the top tourist destination. And that is...

Walt Disney World.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So you’re going with what is THE top tourist destination, not what is YOUR top tourist destination.

I can see that, but I’m only interested in myself, so I’m sticking with my previous vote.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I believe Disney Is The Beatles Of Madness will be the opening act for Pop Will Eat Itself's March 25th concert at the Rosemount Hotel in Perth, Australia.

And of course I pick WDW over NOLA.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I love going to WDW. But like Scotch I guess, I know lots of people who have gone to Disney 58 times, and yet literally have never gone sightseeing anywhere else in the world. But that's not the reason I voted for NOLA. And full disclosure it is a homer vote, even though I don't live in the city, just in the area. I just know that if I go into the city 1000 times I can experience something crazy and magical everytime. It really is this crazy place where you find yourself walking around the French Quarter on a random Tuesday night, and next thing you know there's some parade passing by. Bourbon Street is craziness at all times. And the food is outstanding wherever you go. Aside from maybe Quebec, it's got to be the most European of North American cities, with lots of old world charm.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
The winner of DRC Madness #20 - Tourist Destinations is New Orleans. Thanks for playing and congrats to Aaron on winning his nomination and #21 will be played in March.

New_Orleans_AdobeStock_263032188_1.jpg

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Well, I'm surprised. (And you'll have to say hello to wife, Mrs. Surprised.) I was certain Walt Disney World would win. For your amazement and amusement, here are two top-ten hits about New Orleans, one from Gary US Bonds (1960) and one from Freddy Cannon (1959). I'm not including Redbone's The Witch Queen Of New Orleans because it's about a voodoo woman and not the city itself. And thanks, Mister Wolf, for hosting the tournament!

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Actually, the biggest song about New Orleans is Johnny Horton's The Battle Of New Orleans, which spent six weeks at number one in June-July 1959. The Animals' song was number one for three weeks in September 1964. Third on the list would be Patti LaBelle's Lady Marmalade, which was number one for one week in March 1975. Next would be the Freddy Cannon song, which reached #3 in January 1960, and the Gary US Bonds song, which reached #6 in December 1960.

There are more than two hundred other songs about New Orleans, including Mardi Gras by Doug Kershaw, Ain't No City Like New Orleans by Earl King, Going Back To New Orleans by Leon Haywood, Midnight In New Orleans by Earl Hines, King Of New Orleans by Better Than Ezra, New Orleans Stomp by Louis Armstrong, New Orleans Low Down by Duke Ellington, New Orleans Ain't The Same by Fats Domino, Sweet Home New Orleans by Dr. John and Oh My NOLA by Harry Connick Jr.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
New Orleans is the winner of DRC Madness #20. Huzzah! Let's see what those fun-loving people of New Orleans are up to, shall we?

A 12-year-old was given a black doll with beads forming a noose around its neck at a Mardi Gras parade

1582154178509.png