Entertainment Media #125

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge Games' started by Wolf, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Welcome to Entertainment Media #125, a weekly game played once or twice a week. Were the winner gets a mention on my webpage. Good luck everybody!

Category - Thing

Clue #1 - This thing was found in the 1880's.

2. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

3. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

the Nipkow Disk

4. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Clue #2 - This thing was first used in 1890.

5. MadisonRadio1

the Electric Chair

HecticArt and Wolf like this.
  6. scotchandcigar

The Benz automobile

7. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Congrats Madison it is "The Electric Chair" invented in 1880 by Alfred P. Southwick. First used in 1890 on William Kemmler.

Electric chair - Wikipedia

Other clues would have been

This thing is still used in a few selected states.

Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia

Last clue This thing nickname is old sparky.

Thanks for playing and new game next week.

8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Congrats Madison!

Thanks for the game Wolf.

MadisonRadio1 and Wolf like this.
  9. MadisonRadio1

Thanks I've got to get one of those things

Wolf likes this.
  10. scotchandcigar

Good job Madison! Great game Wolf (despite the fact that an invention is not "founded" (or found)).

11. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

You and I come from two different worlds and invention and found can be the same thing.

"Invention and Discovery Are the Same. To find something is the same as making it. To make something is the same as finding it. ... Calculus was discovered by both Leibniz and Newton."

Plus I did some Calculus a few months ago, I learned quite a few new things from it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  12. scotchandcigar

Where is this quote from?

I assumed you meant to say "founded", in which case it would be a company or business, not an invention. But if you indeed meant to say "found", I don't understand how that word can be used as a substitute for "invention". If an electric chair doesn't yet exist, you can't find one; you have to make or invent it.

And "discovering" a law of nature, such as gravity or calculus, seems to have nothing to do with inventing anything. So I'm confused.

13. scotchandcigar

Dictionary.com
    find
    1. to come upon by chance; meet with: He found a nickel in the street.
    2. to locate, attain, or obtain by search or effort: to find an apartment; to find happiness.
    3. to locate or recover (something lost or misplaced): I can't find my blue socks.
    4. to discover or perceive after consideration: to find something to be true.
    5. to gain or regain the use of: His anger finally helped him find his tongue.
    6. to ascertain by study or calculation: to find the sum of several numbers.
    7. to feel or perceive: He finds it so.
    8. to become aware of, or discover (oneself), as being in a condition or location: After a long illness, he found himself well again. She woke to find herself at home.
    9. to discover: Columbus found America in 1492.
    10. Law.
    a. to determine after judicial inquiry: to find a person guilty.
    b. to pronounce as an official act (an indictment, verdict, or judgment).
    11. to provide or furnish: Bring blankets and we'll find the rest of the equipment for the trip.
    12. South Midland and Southern U.S. (of farm animals) to give birth to: The brown cow found a calf yesterday.

14. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I googled it "is an invention and found the same thing".

That why I didn't go with founding. I was going with an object so this object was found aka invented.

It might not exactly be a quote. But I remember hearing and seeing it on the net before and I heard it again when I was learning calculus a few months ago. The guy who was teaching me, "Sometimes you have to find new ways to reinvent things even though they already have been found or discovered."

I was already had one hell of a time learning calculus. So finally he showed me some youtube videos and applied it with his teaching and I had another way of figuring out the formula even though it was already discovered.

So there you go, I found something new even though it was already invented. But putting a twist on it and that why we come from two different worlds.

15. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

We already went down this hole like a month ago and we certainly don't need a round 2. I guess you don't remember what Hectic said to us. So I'm walking away before this gets out of control.

16. scotchandcigar

I remember the recent conflict. I am not now, nor did I previously intend to cause any friction. I don't see how these little points keep getting viewed in such an inflammatory way, but I'm happy to drop it.

17. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I miss Windows Solitaire.

scotchandcigar likes this.
  18. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I mainly prefer to avoid arguments about corrections, especially on grammar.

19. scotchandcigar

I wasn't arguing about grammar; the clue was misleading to me. And the actress madness thing wasn't about grammar either; it was about an actress being listed multiple times. I've stopped commenting on grammar.

20. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

You weren't, I rather avoid arguing about corrections. I have been on many forums, where people just like to correct people about the littlest crap even it confusing or not. After a while the topic gets ugly and I rather avoid it.

The madness correction is different, yes it's a correction. But it good correction where it could screw up future matches. Those type of corrections I don't mind.

Lately, now my whole life has been getting nasty and ugly. I'm trying to avoid arguments and negative shit, so good stuff can happen again. Maybe it's like Yin and Yang.

Right now, I work in an office with some Trump supporters. Because the douche bag will be here in Phoenix on Friday and my co-workers were going on and on about how great the jerk is. I simply spoke up, can you please stop talking about him and one guy wanted to get into an argument with me. I simply said I don't care for the asshole and he wanted to get political on me, so I walked away.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018