For those who were hoping for Lucy or XM Decade channels on Sirius ...

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
These people never struck a single chord, belted a single note, or kept any beat.

If content to you is DJ chatter on a music channel, may I refer you to the FM dial.

Most if not all of the DJ cut in's are prerecorded in bulk. They have the DJ record a weeks worth of blather in an hour or two and add it in to the prerecorded show. I forget what the term for that is (pretracking?) but to me DJ blather is just that.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Most if not all of the DJ cut in's are prerecorded in bulk. They have the DJ record a weeks worth of blather in an hour or two and add it in to the prerecorded show. I forget what the term for that is (pretracking?) but to me DJ blather is just that.

What the music DJs have to say isn't in the top 100 reasons why I chose to pay for sat radio.

Wow. I am sorry for what has been missed.

1. These were live DJs. They took request calls & put them on the air. They chatted with listeners about music trivia. They had a 'cat fight' each week where listeners called in and voted on their favorite of two renditions of the same song.....all callers were recorded an the votes were played back in the hour. They were smart.....they were very knowledgeable about the music. They had in-studio guests.....live.....and the listeners could call in and question the guests.....all live. You just don't get that with voicetracking.

2. What the DJs had to say was the number 1 reason that I paid for satellite radio. I have all of the music I will ever want on CD.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York

It's called voice tracking. It's pretty much the norm in satellite radio. It's extremely common in terrestrial radio. The DJ can usually bang out a full show about 20-30 minutes, then the cuts are loaded into the automation system. Here in the NY market, it's pretty common on the overnights. In other markets, you could have voice tracked shifts in just about any day part. In a lot of cases, the person doing the voice tracking is from another city.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008

1. These were live DJs. They took request calls & put them on the air. They chatted with listeners about music trivia. They had a 'cat fight' each week where listeners called in and voted on their favorite of two renditions of the same song.....all callers were recorded an the votes were played back in the hour. They were smart.....they were very knowledgeable about the music. They had in-studio guests.....live.....and the listeners could call in and question the guests.....all live. You just don't get that with voicetracking.

2. What the DJs had to say was the number 1 reason that I paid for satellite radio. I have all of the music I will ever want on CD.

1. Sounds much better than what Sirius does, true. I guess I could see how one would enjoy this. Still though, if I am lifting weights, or mowing the lawn, or have guests over for a party, I'm gonna be wishing I could fast forward through these cat fights and interviews and get to the rock.

2. Well.... I doubt you will be satisified with the merger then. CDs and Ipods bore me. I like the new, unknown and unexpected or long forgotten. I like the channel surfing, etc... To me, iPods are just a huge CD.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map

Sirius's DJ's were prerecorded.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
It's called voice tracking. It's pretty much the norm in satellite radio. It's extremely common in terrestrial radio. The DJ can usually bang out a full show about 20-30 minutes, then the cuts are loaded into the automation system. Here in the NY market, it's pretty common on the overnights. In other markets, you could have voice tracked shifts in just about any day part. In a lot of cases, the person doing the voice tracking is from another city.

Yeah that is it, thanks.