Friday Theories

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I can't stand Stuper Fan Round Table, but hopefully Tim appearing on there will solve this awful problem of what is happening on Fridays because even those ass kissers agree that this new incarnation of what is happening on Fridays is awful.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
My guess is that having Tim on won't clear anything up.
Pretty much. We'll get "the channels are evolving" and "people complained" and all those typical answers. But Best of the Week has been the worst idea yet. I actually thought the Bubba/MTT lineup was the best idea they had other than the Friday show.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Quite frankly, I can hear all the shows multiple times on the weekends. I don't necessarily need to hear a best of on friday. Why can't they put together a live show on Friday mornings, they have plenty of guys that have on-air talent, and are in on Fridays anyway.

I miss the MTT too, is that on Sundays now or Friday?? I don't even know. I enjoyed hearing those old shows once a week.

rickster53

Oct 16, 2008
Syracuse,NY
I think the Friday Show got a bad rap when it was on. It was kind of rough and unfocused when it first started, but I thought the show had really improved by the time it was cancelled. Unfortunately, everyone complained because the show wasn't as good as Howard's show (and because there was too much Ralph on it). I think that if the timeline was reversed, and you brought out the Friday Show now (after all these lame alternatives like Best of the Week), people would really appreciate it and be happy about the change.

BTW - Are we ever going to get another edition of Mammary Lane? I enjoyed that but apparently the powers that be decided it took too much work to put those together.

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I miss the MTT too, is that on Sundays now or Friday?? I don't even know. I enjoyed hearing those old shows once a week.

MTT is now on Sundays, but I'm not sure exactly when...sometime during the late afternoon I think. Ifandorbut would be the guy to talk to about MTT. He's none too pleased with that whole situation.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I think the Friday Show got a bad wrap when it was on. It was kind of rough and unfocused when it first started, but I thought the show had really improved by the time it was cancelled. Unfortunately, everyone complained because the show wasn't as good as Howard's show (and because there was too much Ralph on it). I think that if the timeline was reversed, and you brought out the Friday Show now (after all these lame alternatives like Best of the Week), people would really appreciate it and be happy about the change.

I think you're exactly right. There were a lot of complaints about The Friday Show because at that point, Howard was still doing the occasional live show on Friday, and people wanted to hear him all the time. Now that it's clear Howard will never again do a live show on a Friday, under any circumstances...you're right, The Friday Show would be welcomed back warmly.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I think the Friday Show got a bad rap when it was on. It was kind of rough and unfocused when it first started, but I thought the show had really improved by the time it was cancelled. Unfortunately, everyone complained because the show wasn't as good as Howard's show (and because there was too much Ralph on it). I think that if the timeline was reversed, and you brought out the Friday Show now (after all these lame alternatives like Best of the Week), people would really appreciate it and be happy about the change.

BTW - Are we ever going to get another edition of Mammary Lane? I enjoyed that but apparently the powers that be decided it took too much work to put those together.

Well the reasons for getting rid of "The Friday Show" included:

1. Now we have the old tapes, so we can play MTT (although, wouldn't it be a good excuse to play old tapes with commentary, the way they attempted to do with the Friday Show by planning old appearance of Howard on TV talk shows or on his own talk show).

2. Now that we have replays, playing stuff from prior in the week is annoying....well now we are playing huge undedited chunks with barely any commentary!

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I think you're exactly right. There were a lot of complaints about The Friday Show because at that point, Howard was still doing the occasional live show on Friday, and people wanted to hear him all the time. Now that it's clear Howard will never again do a live show on a Friday, under any circumstances...you're right, The Friday Show would be welcomed back warmly.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Gary, John (who is getting worse and worse as the Nerd Bully of the Wrap Up show) and Ralph just don't want to work on Friday, either. I wonder how that worked into their salary if at all! I would hope that Gary got quite the pay increase for having two shows like that, but maybe not.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
I was just thinking about this the other day. I came to this conclusion:

I love this Friday deal because I can sleep in now. I work from home so I can wake up [virtually] whenever I want. I use Howard as my alarm and, on Fridays, I wake up when I wake up. Being that Bubba isn't on until 10am I have no real reason to get up unless I have a meeting (or a lot of work to do).

I gave Jay Thomas two tries and I was actually embarrassed for him; it was that bad.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I love 10am on Friday because I have Bubba. I usually don't listen to Jay Thomas because of Shuli. He is horrid and I don' t know how or why Howard can't see this. He is just not an interesting person nor is he funny.

I must have been one of the rare guys that enjoyed the FRIDAY show and even though most of the time I want to strangle Ralph, I actually liked him on that yet hated him at the same time. Weird.

I couldn't care less if they EVER played another MTT. I don't listen, won't listen and don't know anyone that does.

Best of the Week is ok, certainly better than MTT but my favorite part of the live Stern show is rarely the guest they have on but usually some weird conversation that evolves from nothing. I really enjoy the 6am-7am hour because it is usually a fun recap of everyone's evening.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I was just thinking about this the other day. I came to this conclusion:

I love this Friday deal because I can sleep in now. I work from home so I can wake up [virtually] whenever I want. I use Howard as my alarm and, on Fridays, I wake up when I wake up. Being that Bubba isn't on until 10am I have no real reason to get up unless I have a meeting (or a lot of work to do).

I gave Jay Thomas two tries and I was actually embarrassed for him; it was that bad.

Well...that's very nice for you. I mean, I would like something original or different on Friday so I could maybe even listen to it on the weekend. I mean, I don't think MTT is a lot to ask for. Because it is so short, it gives you just a little bit of "new" stuff to hold you off until Monday.

Jay apparently is on the 70s channels during weekend mornings. I was listening during a long trip and I changed it only because I couldn't stand his awful banter. I mean, a guy that knows nothing about music that keeps trying to be funny and talk about it. Awful no talent whiner!

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I love 10am on Friday because I have Bubba. I usually don't listen to Jay Thomas because of Shuli. He is horrid and I don' t know how or why Howard can't see this. He is just not an interesting person nor is he funny.

I must have been one of the rare guys that enjoyed the FRIDAY show and even though most of the time I want to strangle Ralph, I actually liked him on that yet hated him at the same time. Weird.

I couldn't care less if they EVER played another MTT. I don't listen, won't listen and don't know anyone that does.

Best of the Week is ok, certainly better than MTT but my favorite part of the live Stern show is rarely the guest they have on but usually some weird conversation that evolves from nothing. I really enjoy the 6am-7am hour because it is usually a fun recap of everyone's evening.

How is playing something that just happened better than playing classic episodes? I mean, I think "bland" moments from an old show I might not have heard is more interesting than a bland moment that I JUST heard. I say "bland" moment because they attempt to edit....they play the entire block even if the highlight is like five minutes! The Best of the Week is really for people who don't listen during the week, it seems!

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008

Best of the Week is ok, certainly better than MTT

I didn't mind the Friday Show, but to me I thought the Friday' Show's mistake was in playing stuff that happened that week, they already covered those topics on the Wrap Up Show. I didn't mind hearing about the behind the scenes stuff, the Thursday meetings, that sort of thing, but I didn't think of the show as something that I had to listen to.

The thing about Best of the Week is that it is complete over kill. You get replays of the show all day after their initial broadcast, then you get them repeated all day over the weekend. Is it really necessary to edit together a Best of for Friday?

Gary and Jon could have come in on a Friday to do a live show after Master Tape had ended, say about 9:30 or so and then take calls about the Master Tape episode that just played. Gary's value to this end of the show would be enormous. They could talk about the show until a little after 10:00 and then spend the last couple of hours humoring the glorified interns like Jason and Will, J.D. and High Pitch Mike or salandrichard with the hilarious phone calls that haven't made the cut to the big show yet. In effect, they could have Master Tape AND the Friday Show. To me, that is the best idea that never was...or they could just cookie cut the show segments from the past week and reheat them at a warm temperature, serve them up and satisfy the multitudes of those that are learning to expect less and less from the radio they pay for.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Well...that's very nice for you. I mean, I would like something original or different on Friday so I could maybe even listen to it on the weekend. I mean, I don't think MTT is a lot to ask for. Because it is so short, it gives you just a little bit of "new" stuff to hold you off until Monday.

Jay apparently is on the 70s channels during weekend mornings. I was listening during a long trip and I changed it only because I couldn't stand his awful banter. I mean, a guy that knows nothing about music that keeps trying to be funny and talk about it. Awful no talent whiner!

Well, I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm in there. Yes I love sleeping in but I rather there be [good] love programming in the morning. IMO Jay is unlistenable. I tried today and had to turn it off after 5-10 minutes.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I liked the Friday show too. I just don't think there is anyway in hell that Gary will want to do Fridays again. The best of the week is terrible and I think they do it because its less work and we know how lazy the tapes team can be. I think its great their doing the History of Howard part 2,but to screw people for 6 monthes to do it? If that was how it was going to be why make a huge deal about "THE TAPES"?

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Well, I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm in there. Yes I love sleeping in but I rather there be [good] love programming in the morning. IMO Jay is unlistenable. I tried today and had to turn it off after 5-10 minutes.

I didn't catch the sarcasm because even in the days of "The Friday Show", a lot of people said the same thing.

Again, Jay Thomas was unbearable doing bumpers to classic 70s songs (sometimes not even talking about the right artist...it was insane) so I can't imagine trying that for more than a minute or two. Whenever he is on Howard's show, it's only funny because they are sort of goofing on him....but what does it say when you sort of replace your show with such a goof? They got to really come up with something better. I can't imagine XM fans are really digging only four days of Stern with nothing really on Friday that is interesting.