Google buys Nest Labs for $3.2 billion

Discussion in 'Gadget Corner' started by HecticArt, Jan 13, 2014.

1. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I had seen this before, but couldn't remember if we had posted it here.
    Google buys Nest Labs for $3.2 billion - Jan. 13, 2014

[​IMG]
  2. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Never heard of Nest Labs, but that is a lot money!
  3. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I looked at installing a Nest in my house... now I definitely won't.

Is anyone else wondering how exactly one delivers 3.2B in cash? Suit cases? Uhaul boxes?
  4. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I looked into Nest a while back. I could never figure out why it was worth that much money. My current thermostat is programmable. I don't see any reason to access it remotely.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Even with a programmable thermostat, the Mrs still turns the damn thing up when she leaves the house, so that it's warm when she gets home.....
  6. Jimr

Jimr Member

I never understood the reasoning either. I have a programmable thermostat that can learn how the house heats and make adjustments accordingly (it will move the start/end time of a cycle so that it reaches the temp at the time requested most efficiently). The cost of that thermostat was much lower than a NEST and provides much more functionality.
  7. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

That's your fault for letting her touch it.
  8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I thought about putting in a fake one and moving the real thermostat someplace else.
  9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

High volts and low amps will do the trick. Electric gizmos are only for Master.
  10. greenearth

greenearth Active Member

I heard the nest leans your habits. If you turn it up during the day, and make it colder later, the nest learns and does it for you. I heard someone is saving money using it.
  11. Jimr

Jimr Member

It does but you can get a programmable thermostat for a fraction of the cost. It will save money at the same rate as a nest.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Exactly. There's no need for a learning thermostat when I can tell a normal thermostat exactly what temperature I want when.
  13. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Given the way most everything Google is free, but with adds, maybe the price will go down, but you're have adds :idea: