Greatest album of all time.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
For me, The Wall or Darkside of the Moon (yes, this thread was inspired by the Roger Waters interview). I can't even describe my feelings about those albums without getting chills. This Stern interview rectified a myth that I believed - that the wall was NOT about his dad, but about another WWII soldier. Learning that it was about his dad, solidifies The Wall as the greatest album ever. I first watched the movie at 16 yrs old, and I still cry at 40 when the kid puts the dad's uniform on. Fucking heartbreaking.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I love both of those Pink Floyd albums, but the greatest album ever made has to be Eno's Another Green World.

I listened to The Wall two or three times a day for several months when I was in high school. It made me very, very depressed. Eventually I had to stop myself, because I realized I was taking on Roger Waters' depression. My dad didn't die in the war. I had my own wall; I didn't need some old British dudes wall stacked on top of it.

After that, I can only listen to it sparingly. Another Green World, on the other hand, I can listen to at any point in my life. It doesn't impose anyone else's emotions on me. It heightens whatever emotions I'm experiencing at the time.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
Some say Sgt. Peppers, I say Abbey Road.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNsa6y6KVR4] Rolling Stone[/ame]

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Some say Sgt. Peppers, I say Abbey Road.

Rolling Stone

That's probably my second choice. "Something" is an incredible song. Abbey Road has some silly songs on it, but it's kind of like Harry Potter or Star Wars--you just let the music carry you away and don't get too bogged down in the details. There are corny parts, but George Lucas said if you're going to make a popcorn movie, you need lots of corn. Does that make sense?

At any rate, Abbey Road is fun, but Joshua Tree is more like a symphony. Like Led Zeppelin four. It's powerful. And Zep Four may be my actual second choice, with Abbey Road number three. Depends on my mood. It's hard to compare pop and rock.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
While all the above albums are great (esp. THE WALL and DARKSIDE) my presonal "greatest album of all time" is hands down RADIOHEAD's 1999 epic, "OK COMPUTER."

Every track on this album is phenomenal, even it's overplayed hit, KARMA POLICE. From start to finish, this ablum give me the chills.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
In order (according to me):

1. The Wall - Pink Floyd
2. Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Beatles
4. Who's Next - The Who
5. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
6. OK Computer - Radiohead
7. Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix
8. Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones
9. London Calling - The Clash
10. Synchronicity - The Police

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Abbey Road is my #1... sonic perfection

Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland
Zeppelin IV
Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" to me is a perfect album.
Beach Boys: "Pet Sounds"
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, and The Wall

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
slayer-reign-in-blood-7.jpg

30-ish minutes of awesome

Reactions: Evil_Ernie

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Boy that's tough. I would probably have to say Pink Floyd The Wall too. I've seen the movie 200 times and listened to that record over and over.

1. Pink Floyd The Wall
2. Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here
3. Guns and Roses Appetite for Destruction
4. Queensryche Operation: Mindcrime
5. Metallica ...And Justice for All

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
A top 5 because the separation of 6-10 would be too minute.

1. Rumors- Fleetwood Mac

2. Zeppelin IV ( The man w/ Sticks on his Back)

3. The White Album- The Beatles

4. The Dark Side of the Moon- Pink Floyd

5. Nevermind- Nirvana

Last edited:

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie

Heck yeah... I love that album!

I like to brag to this day that I wore out a moving coil needle on my turntable while listening to Rumors. I knew a cassette tape on auto reverse would have been used til it started squeaking from overuse.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Revolver - Beatles

Odyssey and Oracle - Zombies

White Album - Beatles

Velvet Undedrground - Velvet Underground

XTC - Skylarking

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon would be up there as well, but The Wall...no way...it's much too morose and self pitying for my tastes. Top 100, yeah, maybe.