HBO GO coming to XBOX 360 April 1st, No Joke!

Discussion in 'Cable & Video' started by Jon, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

No joke: HBO Go coming to Xbox 360 April 1
    By Kyle Orland | Published 10 minutes ago
    Engadget reports that HBO Co-President Eric Kessler has announced that the cable network's popular HBO Go on-demand streaming service will be available through the Xbox 360 starting April 1. The service has been expected on the system since last December, when Microsoft began rolling out additional Xbox 360 streaming video options from content providers ranging from SyFy and Bravo to YouTube and Crackle.

Xbox 360 HBO Go users will still need a valid cable account with an HBO subscription to access the service, which is also available through Web browsers, Roku boxes, iOS and Android devices, and some Samsung Smart TVs. The service currently offers selected movies, sports and comedy programming as well as complete episode archives for all of HBO's original series.

No joke: HBO Go coming to Xbox 360 April 1

2. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

It also depends on your cable/satellite provider. For example, HBO GO is available to Comcast subscribers. You can access it on your computer or tablet/smartphone. You can also get it through the Xfinity app. However, you can't access HBO GO through connected devices such as the Roku.

3. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

We have strictly Comcast Internet (we use Netflix/Apple TV for Movies and stuff) and we don't get it. Unless they made a change I don't know about.

4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

My damned local cable provider won't get HBO Go. I think they want some incentive from HBO first. It's just one more reason for people to subscribe without taxing their infrastructure. Cheap bastards.

5. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

We are supposed to get it in March. No word on if it is going to be availalbe on the Roku.

6. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

According to the threads I read, Comcast and DIRECTV are blocking access on the Roku for some unknown reason.

7. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

Thanks for the info. I have DirecTV and use it on my Photon. I wonder if Max Go will be released for it someday?

8. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I don't understand what your local cable provider has to do with it. If you subscribe to HBO, can't you just go their web site?

9. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

It's by provider. Some cable providers allow HBO GO access while others don't. Comcast does but doesn't allow the Roku box.

10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Ignore the Roku box. How can they block access to the HBOGo web site, HBO GO. It's HBO. Anywhere. What do you see if you go there on one of the blocking ISPs?

11. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Review: Deep Dive Into HBO GO | InteractiveTV Today

12. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

They don't like it because it's a step towards taking them out of the picture entirely. Why pay the cable company $12 a month for HBO when you can get it directly from HBO over the net (still a paid subscription of course, but directly to HBO)? My guess is that's what HBO and the other premium networks want and the cable companies are scared!

13. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I don't see how it would be any different than licensing HBO content to Apple. Whereas HBO receives a majority cut of the profits from sales and rentals of their TV show seasons. It's not a paid subscription to HBO to be sure, but you're getting HBO content, and HBO is getting their money.

14. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

HBO (and the other premium channels) and the major cable companies all own big chunks of each other. None of them want customers to stop subscribing to cable. HBO Go is an add-on to get people to subscribe to cable.

I'm still not following how Hectic's ISP is blocking him from going to the HBO Go site. It's just a web site. How can they legally block it, or if its legal, how can they do it without a major stink?

15. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Not from going to the site. From signing in and accessing the service. I can go to the site, and can even sign in using my Xfinity ID, but because I have Internet only with Xfinity, and not Television with HBO, I can't access it.

To me cable companies are becoming more like record companies and newspapers, in that there is even less of a need for them anymore.

16. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

My cable provider won't/hasn't sign(ed) up for it.

17. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Could be right. :idunno:

18. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

You have to have an HBO subscription. The wole point is to sell HBO subscriptions, and cable TV.

I hear you, but the world without those things is going to suck in some ways. We need editors. I already miss them.

19. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

It's a half-assed attempt at giving the appearance of evolution, while at the same time trying to preserve the antiquated cable/telco business model.

The consumer gets screwed. Even as these services continue to evolve, cable and telcos will impose caps to preserve their legacy video business.