Hd Radio In Canada ...slowly...

Discussion in 'HD (Terrestrial) Radio' started by IndustrialH, Jan 25, 2016.

1. IndustrialH

IndustrialH "So much music .... so little time..."

There appear to be HD "ripples" above the 49th. Although still classed as experimental by the powers that be, there are signs of life.

CKNW in Vancouver is now carried by Rock 101 on HD 2, and AM640 in Toronto is on HD2 FM 95.3. Both are part of the Corus Network.

It's a massive list of available stations... no not really.

[​IMG]

semipenguin likes this.
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I don't think it will take off here ever.
  3. IndustrialH

... me thinks only in the cities - no point elsewhere - distance is the killer and Sirius filled the gap. It's like DAB+ in Australia - clings to the cities on the coast.. for eveyone eles its a analogue world. :)
    semipenguin likes this.
  4. IdRatherBeSkiing

Most analogue radio had digital extras already -- title and artist. A but if an upswell to get people to have to buy new devices. Will expand only by doing what satrad did and make deals with automakers except without the payback of a subscription as a carrot at the end. This will fail. My thinking on it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk
  5. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

Where it could have had a chance in the USA would be for some stations to run the national morning shows 24/7 on the subchannels and then do local programming on the main channel.

Our ESPN Radio used to be on the AM band with a sister station on the FM band playing music. The music stopped and the sports station moved to the FM band with the AM band being a spinoff with local/smaller sports, etc.

The subchannel could easily do what the AM station does.
  6. IndustrialH

Seems to be what Corus have done in Toronto and Vancouver - Music on the Primary Channel and news on a sub, which makes perfect sense. A bit like Disney leaving AM and going to HD subs channels. As for my local stations all the commercial ones could fit on one station and the CBC could do the same and have room for the weather broadcast.
  7. IndustrialH

I am the guy that owned a Betamax in the '80's - so my opinions are probably a bit skewed. :)
    semipenguin and HecticArt like this.
  8. IndustrialH

9. IdRatherBeSkiing

10. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

11. IndustrialH

Service will be available in greater Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary, with expansion expected to additional areas of the country.

Well that's what the headline says - I will believe it when I see it. I feel the additional areas will be the suburbs of Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary. :) I think the assumption is that Winnipeg and Saskatoon have no cars to speak of, the Atlantic provinces use shortwave and in Montreal they all drive in French! :)

semipenguin likes this.
  12. IndustrialH

13. IndustrialH

Nice Idea
    LG Stylus DAB+ Smartphone
    Built-in DAB+ broadcast digital radio
    Quote: "Listen to your favourite radio stations plus an additional 30 digital only stations on the go and with digital sound quality. Listening via DAB+ digital radio uses no data, compared to music streaming services."

[​IMG]
    ... and as they say - digital quality audio that has no effect on your data plan.
    Norway, along with Australia, Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and the UK will be among the first countries to get the Stylus 2.

Well at least I have my HD Radio iPhone dongle :)

HecticArt likes this.
  14. IndustrialH

and here comes another one.......

[​IMG]
    semipenguin likes this.
  15. IndustrialH

HecticArt likes this.
  16. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Mmmmm Skittles........
  17. IndustrialH

... not the sugar fix .... but then again.... :)

Skittles or Nine Pins has long been played in the Inns of England. In general, players take turns to throw wooden balls down a lane at the end of which are several wooden skittles in an attempt to knock them all over. There are a number of skittle games across England and there have been many more in the past. It could be that the game came from Germany as one of the earliest references is to from Germany, in the 3rd or 4th century monks played a game with a kegel which was a club carried for self defence. In the game, the kegel represented a sin or temptation and the monks would throw stones at it until they knocked it over. The modern German term for skittles is Kegelen.
    HecticArt likes this.
  18. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Oh.....then....
    Mmmmmm beer......
  19. IndustrialH

My girlfriend put me on to this - mow lawns - work in garden - drink - sleep :) - and that's only the 8% stuff !
    [​IMG]
    HecticArt likes this.
  20. IndustrialH

A radio manager in our local paper last week, wrote a editorial giving the impression that digital broadcasting would not happening Canada - he never mentioned HD Radio - just DAB+ , which was buried deep under peat moss years ago by the CRTC. The industry obviously thinks otherwise.

The North American Broadcasters Association (NABA) has released a position paper that advocates for the creation of a voluntary continent-wide digital radio broadcast standard. NABA believes the move “would be beneficial to both listeners and broadcasters.”
    Based on its analysis, and outlined in the paper, the group believes that HD Radio IBOC technology should be adopted as a “North American Digital Radio Standard” for Canada, Mexico and the United States. In the paper, NABA says, “It is logical to consider the harmonisation of regulation and voluntary standardisation of HD Radio across all of North America to maximise the potential economic, regulatory and service quality benefits across all borders.”

The paper, drafted by an NABA working group, was presented to regulatory officials from the three nations this week and FCC chair Ajit Pai “in an effort to spark discussion about a unified voluntary standard,” the organisation added.

In the position paper, NABA outlines, “The basic motivations for transitioning from analogue to digital technology are enhanced performance, added capabilities, reliability, flexibility and cost-efficient manufacturing. Despite the obvious benefits of digital radio, terrestrial radio has remained one of the last bastions for analogue service.”

It adds, “While recent broadcast standards activities indicate increasing interest in the digitalisation of VHF band II (87.5 to 108 MHz), many countries lack the additional spectrum required to accommodate a parallel transition of radio from analogue to digital service on a new frequency assignment. This is certainly the case in North America.” IBOC technology allows broadcasters to add digital signals to their existing analogue broadcasts without new spectrum, while providing the capability “for an eventual move to all-digital transmission,” NABA states. “The technology acts as a bridge from analogue to digital services.”

In its conclusion, NABA writes, “IBOC digital radio technology has been adopted for use in the U.S. and Mexico and is currently authorised for experimental use in Canada. NABA is supportive of and encourages broadcasters and regulators in all three countries to work together to advance the roll-out of HD Radio digital radio services across North America, to create a de facto voluntary North American digital radio standard. NABA further encourages all North American broadcasters to participate in the activities of the NABA Radio Committee to help achieve these goals.”
    HecticArt likes this.