HecticArt Wonderful Architecture Work

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Wolf, Aug 10, 2013.

1. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Burn it down!!!!!

2. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

3. Channel98

Channel98 Don't yell or hit.

4. Channel98

5. Channel98

Notre Dame's spire and another section of the roof have collapsed. A few firefighters are on scene with hoses and water cannons. They're making some progress. The flames are not as high now and the smoke is not as thick.

6. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

Probably means most of the wood is now burned.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

7. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

8. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

Sad. I hope nobody is hurt trying to battle the fire.

9. Channel98

Four hundred firefighters are now on scene and investigators are trying to determine the fire's cause and point of origin. There is speculation the fire may be connected to recent restoration work. Sixteen statues, representing the 12 apostles and four evangelists, had been removed last week but most of the works of art and much of the stained glass may be destroyed.

10. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

There's a thread for this people!!!!!

This is a shocker.
    What a loss. I've been there twice.

One firefighter has been hurt so far. Hopefully nobody else does.

I'm betting that a construction worker was chain smoking and started the blaze.

They will rebuild it. It's hard to find a cathedral that hasn't burned down at least once.

It amazes me that they didn't retrofit the thing with a sprinkler system. You would think that for an iconic piece of history, that they would at least have gotten sprinklers into the towers and attic spaces.

11. Channel98

Two-thirds of Notre Dame's roof has been destroyed. CNN just quoted Laurent Nunez, Secretary to the Minister of the Interior: "The fire is now weaker. We are now in a time of cooling but both towers of the cathedral are safe. We're still working to save the cathedral's work of arts."

"Work of arts"? Is that how they talk in France?

12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Maybe they did, and maybe they disabled it during the reconstruction work. I'm just speculating.

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

He's been drinking wine all day, and smells like burnt baguette and snails. We'll forgive him for all that Paris talk.

Wiki says:
    "A water reservoir, covered with a lead roof, is located between the two towers, behind the colonnade and the gallery and in front of the nave and the pignon. It can be used to quickly extinguish a fire."​
    I'm guessing that it wasn't much more than a tank that led to a hose at ground level that they could spray on furnishings and whatnot that might have caught fire.

14. Channel98

After eight hours, firefighters finally have the Notre Dame fire under control. The Crown of Thorns, the Tunic of Saint Louis and many other sacred objects and works of art have been saved from the fire. Investigators say the blaze was not an act of arson or terrorism – it started "involuntarily." That must be a French word meaning "We really have no idea."

15. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

It could have started from just about anything. A spark. Combustible chemicals. Blue flaming.

16. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

Could have been a wildfire attack. Where was Cersei?

[​IMG]

HecticArt likes this.
  17. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Dragons!!!!!

18. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

Looks pretty fireproof to me.

[​IMG]

19. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Heavy timbers actually do better in a fire than steel beams do.

Here's a picture of a (I think it was a factory) fire where the steel beams softened enough to droop over some wood beams. The char on the wood protects it from the fire for a while, while the steel loses it's capacity to support itself much sooner. Same thing happened at the World Trade Center.

JHDK likes this.
  20. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

Nonsense. Everybody knows it was the CIA that brought down the WTC.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk