HecticArt Wonderful Architecture Work

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Most of the newer skyscrapers are concrete. Among other things, it helps keep them from swaying quite so much.
The pics of it without the glass on it make it look really disappointing from the inside.
From the outside, it looks like you should have these sweeping panoramic views of the NK oppression and poverty, but it's really only small windows punched through the concrete. That's an opportunity lost.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This thread is better than any other I suppose.

I had a 3 1/2 hour job interview Wednesday night.
I'm getting really tired of campus politics and have been missing the excitement & challenges of working in a private office. (I know, I know, "excitement" is a relative term....Just roll with it and leave me my illusions.)

The office I met with is pretty small, but have been turning decent projects down lately because they don't have enough staff. (The only licensed architect is the owner.) They do a lot of small boring projects that pay the bills, and a handful of interesting ones per year. As their second architect, & with my background, he sees a lot of opportunity for growth. There was conversation about me having the opportunity to take over the practice at some point. On the one hand, it's a little scary and could be pretty boring for a while, but on the other, it could turn into something really cool.

I've been talking to a couple of other offices too, but need to try to get them moving a little bit faster on their decision making process.

Change is good.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Shit! That's the old Crate and Barrel on Michigan Ave. I used to work a half a block from there. It's a cool building. We're going to be there next week. Too bad it won't be open yet, the escalators are pretty fun.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
There's pros & cons to that design approach.
They talked about the pros, but it also makes it easier for shooters to hide, and harder for cops to spot/shoot the shooter.
Active shooters aren't typically great shots or sniper quality marksmen at any distance. Cops are a bit better at that.

Hopefully this school doesn't become an invitation for some wackjob to try to beat.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

I'm getting really tired of campus politics and have been missing the excitement & challenges of working in a private office. (I know, I know, "excitement" is a relative term....Just roll with it and leave me my illusions.)

The office I met with is pretty small, but have been turning decent projects down lately because they don't have enough staff. (The only licensed architect is the owner.) They do a lot of small boring projects that pay the bills, and a handful of interesting ones per year. As their second architect, & with my background, he sees a lot of opportunity for growth. There was conversation about me having the opportunity to take over the practice at some point. On the one hand, it's a little scary and could be pretty boring for a while, but on the other, it could turn into something really cool.

I've been talking to a couple of other offices too, but need to try to get them moving a little bit faster on their decision making process.

Change is good.
Good luck. How far into your career are you? I made a move within my company about 15 years ago, but it's been over 20 since I actually put on a suit and did an outside interview.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Thanks.
I'm in my early 50s, so I've got a ways to go. I started just a little late, but have a good resume and portfolio. I'm not quite built to start my own office, since I'm not a huge fan of doing all of the business development, office management, and staff management by myself. With the right partners, I could see myself doing it though. I did my first interview at my current gig in a suit. When I got called back for the second one-on-one interview the guy that eventually became my boss told me to ditch the tie. He's a great guy. He recently took a new job elsewhere for the same reasons I'm moving on. I talked to him for a while today in fact.

I've known the guy I interviewed with this week through professional organizations, so I skipped the jacket and tie. Fortunately, most architecture firms have moved past the business attire and necktie thing for everyday wardrobe. Business casual and jeans are fine by me.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls has been the summer home of the Cleveland Orchestra since 1968. The Who will perform there September 10 and Rascal Flatts will be there September 20. The architect who designed the music center and many other museums, theaters, pavilions, medical facilities and corporate headquarters in Ohio and elsewhere, died yesterday. Mister Hectic probably considered him a celebrity.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
HGTV doesn't usually make the news, but with "A Very Brady Renovation", they've made some buzz. The house which was used for exterior shots of the Brady Bunch house was for sale, and HGTV bought it, so they could tape a series about remodeling it.

I watched the first episode, and it's pretty crazy. They paid way too much for the house (about $3M), and then realized they'd have to practically tear it down and build a whole new house. Because they're trying to recreate something that never existed - a house interior made from a bunch of sets on the Paramount studio lot. But it got the Brady kids to reunite, so it's kind of cool.

Reactions: Aaron

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
A Very Brady Renovation was the most-watched premiere episode of any program in HGTV's 25-year history. And such drama! How will they duplicate the couch fabric? Should the staircase have 12 steps but be at the wrong angle or should it be at the correct angle and have only 11 steps?

Don't be fooled by my sarcasm. I watched the entire episode and really enjoyed it. i will definitely watch the next three. I wonder if there are plans for a new Brady series to be filmed at the house. Greg Brady and his wife and children could live there and the other five "Brady Kids" and their spouses would make regular appearances. I think such a series would be very successful. "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!"

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule

Change is good.

I take it you showed them your sizzle reel:

(You must be real familiar with this one that's in your backyard.)
1568178338238.png

1568178317762.png

1568178255484.png

Seriously though, talking about you taking over someday in the interview? Wow. That sounds like something.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I take it you showed them your sizzle reel:

(You must be real familiar with this one that's in your backyard.)
View attachment 5609

View attachment 5608

View attachment 5607

Seriously though, talking about you taking over someday in the interview? Wow. That sounds like something.
The basket company......thing.....always seemed like something a high school student would design in drafting class. What a waste of money. It's no wonder that they went out of business.

What is the 3rd picture?

We talked about the possibilities of taking over at some point, but it's not a condition of working there. Lots of variables, and it will take some time to see if the fit is right for that.
So, inquiring minds want to know, did you get the job?
It's still a work in progress. Hoping to work through a couple of details and set up a second interview.

Reactions: JHDK