HecticArt Wonderful Architecture Work

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
We hired an architect. Well, a landscape architect, certified. So for a bit of money, she made a very nice plan for how we can spend a lot more money to have all our exterior work done. I was hesitant, but she really knew what she was talking about, and we can show these to landscapers, at a schedule that works for us.

Hardscape
View attachment 6400

Plantings
View attachment 6401
That's not the way I'd do it......
Wait...... I could have done it that way.
Looks good.

In my drive around downton earlier this week I came across this neat building. Of course it is a school of architecture.

View attachment 6402
Will Alsop. I've been there. Went inside and checked it out too.
We weren't supposed to go in, but hey, I'm a rebel.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
a landscape architect

Ha! Landscape architect...here look, I just appointed myself a landscape architect, that bush should go over there.

Those blueprints do look pretty cool though.

but hey, I'm a rebel.

I imagine walking into a random building makes you the bad boy of the architect community.

BTW/that building is a disaster.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I imagine walking into a random building makes you the bad boy of the architect community.
I was trespassing. The door was locked and I just waited for someone to walk out.
There are a lot of buildings that I've done that with. I had a professor that recommended that we should try to get in when we can. Most of the time they just ask if you're supposed to be there and then ask you to leave.

There was a Frank Lloyd Wright building in Chicago we did that with. We wound up on a floor that was being renovated and walked through some floor leveling compound that was still wet. Tracked footprints across the floor to the stairs. I felt kinda bad about that because some guy was going to have to fix it.

BTW/that building is a disaster.
It's a disaster and it's super fun at the same time.
It is one that I wouldn't have done like that for sure.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Ha! Landscape architect...here look, I just appointed myself a landscape architect, that bush should go over there.
She's a member of APLD and ASLA, but what immediately impressed me is she knows everything about hundreds of trees, bushes, plants, and ground covers. How much sun, do deer eat them, how big they get, when they bloom, drainage, etc. And also, she knows a lot about walls and pavers and grades and elevations. She used the surveyor's plot plans - plus her own measurements - to figure out the grades and orientations. It's not just some chick who likes flowers.

Lastly, she has a sense of design and layout that is based on experience. We don't know how to plan out all the landscaping, and while we could ask a landscaper for his recommendation, he would be more inclined to just do what we asked for.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
She's a member of APLD and ASLA, but what immediately impressed me is she knows everything about hundreds of trees, bushes, plants, and ground covers. How much sun, do deer eat them, how big they get, when they bloom, drainage, etc. And also, she knows a lot about walls and pavers and grades and elevations. She used the surveyor's plot plans - plus her own measurements - to figure out the grades and orientations. It's not just some chick who likes flowers.

Lastly, she has a sense of design and layout that is based on experience. We don't know how to plan out all the landscaping, and while we could ask a landscaper for his recommendation, he would be more inclined to just do what we asked for.

That tree should be planted on that hill by that wall. I know because I used my tape measure! Here's my card, I'm JSFJHSF certified. JKoop, master landscape architect.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

They really do know a lot of good stuff. Not as much as real architects, but still pretty impressive. ;)
I love it when I get to use a landscape architect on projects. A good one makes a huge difference.
That tree should be planted on that hill by that wall. I know because I used my tape measure! Here's my card, I'm JSFJHSF certified. JKoop, master landscape architect.
Poser.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Here's a wild thought only a master landscape architect like me could dream up: grass should be planted in the dirt around the house! That way you'll have a lawn!

I'm a genius!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
They really do know a lot of good stuff. Not as much as real architects, but still pretty impressive. ;)
I love it when I get to use a landscape architect on projects. A good one makes a huge difference.

The real question, if they die and are well known, are they a celebrity? Or do they have the same limitations as real architects?

• Haha
Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

Wolf

Rainbow Sherbet WILL ALWAYS BE ICE CREAM!
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
www.wolfyre13.com
Just heard about this building being build in Vegas yesterday. It's called the MSG Sphere, where it's a giant concert hall.

Reactions: JHDK and HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's one big ball.

It looks like it was inspired by French architect Étienne-Louis Boullée 's (obvioulsy) un-built monument to Isaac Newton.
It was supposed to be 500' tall.

Class dismissed.