HecticArt Wonderful Architecture Work

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Wolf, Aug 10, 2013.

1. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That sounds like a no for me.

3. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I agree, I can see disaster written on it.

4. scotchandcigar

How about in one of these?
    upload_2019-1-29_15-20-34.png

5. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

What makes tunnels under the channel safer?

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

6. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

By flipping channels.

JHDK and memebag like this.
  7. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Nice design job Hectic.

[​IMG]

semipenguin and JHDK like this.
  8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Tell me about it. Who still uses black faucets? :rolleyes:

scotchandcigar likes this.
  9. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

10. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

There is this storage locker place being built by me and one building is multiple stories and the concrete walls just went up like 3 weeks ago. They have these pretty sturdy looking temporary support beams holding them up from the outside all around the walls, there must be like 40 of them. Anyway every time I drive past it I think of this thread.

HecticArt and semipenguin like this.
  11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

12. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

Would you not need a mile high (+ a couple feet) crane to build a mile high skyscraper?

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

13. scotchandcigar

I think they build up scaffolding that the crane (or whatever) would sit on. at some point, the scaffolding is just attached to the side of the building, not the ground.

HecticArt and IdRatherBeSkiing like this.
  14. semipenguin

There are videos on how they keep elevating cranes when they build buildings. It's quite fascinating.

15. scotchandcigar

16. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Currently in Saudi Arabia there building the Jeddah Tower orginally going to be a mile high. But it has been scaled down and soon will be the world's tallest building about 3,281 feet.

Jeddah Tower - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

17. semipenguin

18. scotchandcigar

You got that right.

This may never get finished, it's not even that far along.
    upload_2019-2-11_14-43-54.png

semipenguin likes this.
  19. scotchandcigar

I can confidently say that I'll never set foot in this.

Sustainability of such a tall building would include issues such as vertical transportation limitations, with elevators only being able to go so far; building sway, caused by wind; and super column settling, which occurs because concrete tends to shrink as it hydrates and settles under load, whereas steel is dimensionally stable, thereby causing the floors to become uneven. Additionally, a very large core size is required in very tall buildings to support the structure as well as to house the large number of elevators needed. The core size consumes a significant amount of the space on the lower and middle floors. Tower will also utilize copious stiffening materials to prevent the excessive sway that would otherwise make the occupants of upper floors nauseated on windy days, including very high strength concrete that will be up to several metres thick in certain parts of the core. This, along with the highly integrated steel frame and shear walls, is also intended to prevent catastrophic failure of the structure in the event of a terrorist attack.

Normally when wind swirls around the leeward side of a building, rushing in from both sides to fill the low pressure zone, it would create tornado like vortices, which would rock the building from side to side due to variations in pressure, direction and velocity. The dynamic fa├žade of Kingdom Tower, however, creates an infinite timing differential (whereas Burj Khalifa is limited by the number of steps) in air pressure exertion in any one particular direction, thus creating a more stable structure, as there is no broad area of outstanding pressure or depression at any given time.

Wolf and semipenguin like this.
  20. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Building cores are pretty big, and they don't earn any rent money, so they try to keep them as small as possible now.
    They stack elevator shafts in the super-tall skyscrapers to help reduce the number of shafts that they need. (hehehe....shafts...) Double-Decker elevator cabs and sky lobbies help with it too.

They do tend to use concrete more often on the tall ones now because it's stiffer (hehehe....) and fireproof.

The inertial dampers from the video above help control the sway. Building codes mandate that the sway has to be below a certain amount to keep people from really feeling it. (If you go up to the observation deck of the Sears Tower, and go into the bathroom, you can see the water in the toilet move a little on windy days. It's really hard to feel the building sway.)

The negative wind pressure and turbulence on the leeward side is pretty much controlled by wind-tunnel testing and computer models.

The John Hancock Tower in Boston was notorious for having wind problems. Windows popped off of the thing for several years, and it swayed too much and needed to have a crap-load of additional steel reinforcing welded to the frame after it had been built.

The Citi-Corp tower in New York had issues too. It didn't sway or have glass plummet to the ground, but after it had been built, one of the engineers was talking to a student who had asked him some questions that got him thinking about his calculations. He discovered that if a heavy sustained wind came from a direction that they didn't quite expect, that the thing could fall over. As fate would have it, a hurricane was going to hit New York from that direction. They (sort of) secretly went in at night and reinforced the frame in the nick of time.

Tall buildings are pretty crazy. 10 stories is the tallest that I've worked on, but a buddy of mine worked on the Shanghai World Financial Center. He did a lot of the curtain wall detailing and figured out how to make the window washing system would work. They were trying to use robots that ran in tracks up and down the side of the building, but they went old-school instead.

scotchandcigar, Wolf and semipenguin like this.