HecticArt Wonderful Architecture Work

Wolf

The Lone Wolf
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
Years ago I don't know what floor it was. But I use to work in a 30 plus story building and I was like on the 20th plus floor and sometimes I swore I felt the building sway in the wind. Felt kinda freaky to me.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That can happen. 20 stories seems a bit low to feel it, you never know how something was designed. They didn't think the windows would pop off of the Hancock Tower after all.

In taller buildings, sometimes when you can see the clouds moving past the window, and can't see the ground or other stationary things, it can feel a bit like you're moving.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
There is this storage locker place being built by me and one building is multiple stories and the concrete walls just went up like 3 weeks ago. They have these pretty sturdy looking temporary support beams holding them up from the outside all around the walls, there must be like 40 of them. Anyway every time I drive past it I think of this thread.
Sounds like tilt wall. I love tilt wall. Houston is full of inventive tilt wall buildings.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Wood (at least larger boards) does better in fires than steel does.
Wood will form a layer of charcoal around it that actually protect if from burning all the way through. Steel has a low melting point and will slump at lower temperatures, so it fails before wood framed buildings.

Check out this picture of a fire where steel beams are draped over some wood beams.