HecticArt Wonderful Architecture Work

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The Olympic building in Montreal had some issues with it cracking due to some engineering miscalculations. That's the main reason that it was late and had to be redesigned to be completed out of steel.

Throw enough money at a building, and you can get just about any gravity defying shape that you want.
I'll never have a client that's willing to do that, and I don't know if I'd feel right about dumping that much money into something just to make a statement. They are pretty cool though.

Reactions: semipenguin

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The Olympic building in Montreal had some issues with it cracking due to some engineering miscalculations. That's the main reason that it was late and had to be redesigned to be completed out of steel.

Throw enough money at a building, and you can get just about any gravity defying shape that you want.
I'll never have a client that's willing to do that, and I don't know if I'd feel right about dumping that much money into something just to make a statement. They are pretty cool though.
The problem with Montreal anything is that they pay a huge cut to their friends and leave little money for actual engineers so they get the D- graduates from the local second rate college.

But Montreal construction even without the graft is always iffy. Early 1900s they had a whole bridge collapse because the engineers and the architects didn't talk to each other and one added 300 feet to the bridge without making the required structural adjustments. (They assumed the other knew about the changes -- I forget which one was which).

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I would guess that the architect changed the design without telling the engineer.
Or the engineer just ignored the architect. That still happens pretty often.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I would guess that the architect changed the design without telling the engineer.
Or the engineer just ignored the architect. That still happens pretty often.
I observed an interesting relationship between our architect and our builder. There was a lot of "yeah that won't work".

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I observed an interesting relationship between our architect and our builder. There was a lot of "yeah that won't work".
That can come from a few sources.
- The architect really doesn't know how to detail something.
- The architect assumes that they will be able work out the detail with the contractor on site. (Frank Lloyd Wright did a LOT of this.)
- The contractor doesn't have the skills to do it
- The contractor is too lazy (or doesn't want to learn how) to do it.
- It's more expensive to do it how the architect drew it, and the contractor just doesn't care enough to do a little extra.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Petronas is a Malaysian petroleum corporation. The name is short for Petrolium Nasional Berhad ("National Petroleum Limited"). The Petronas Towers, the company's headquarters in Kuala Lumpur, were at one time the tallest buildings in the world. And today.......

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Damn! I don't care, this is going on the big thread. Catherine Zeta Jones hung off the side of one of his buildings in Entrapment with Sean Connery.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Are you sure you want to post the news of Pelli's death to the Celebrity Death thread? Most people who hear his name will think he was the Brazilian soccer star.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Not architecture related (thank God) but this is basically the Hectic thread so here I go...

Holy shit AP Bio is set in Toledo and is super funny. It stars a guy from Sunny in Philly as a burnout from Harvard who is the teacher and Patton Oswalt as the school principal and it's really great! They constantly shit on Toledo and every time I think of Hectic.

The TV spots don't do it justice. This is up there with Parks and Rec and The Office as far as network comedies go. Check it out.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
We haven't seen it yet, but we've met Patton a few times hanging out between shoots.
Had pancakes with him once.

Ok I'm going to look dumb here (not much of a change from my normal DRC look) but you're joking right? No way they shoot in OH.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Nojoke. There's a school that was rebuilt, so the old one sits empty. They shoot the whole season in a little less than 2 months. They give huge tax breaks for filming here.