HecticArt Wonderful Architecture Work

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
That's a massive huge airport. It's enough they keep renovating Phoenix Sky Harbor.

Sky Harbor Airport's $5.7 billion, 20-year plan: Double the capacity, add 'bus gates'

To some people it's probably confusing who visit Sky Harbor they don't have a terminal 1 anymore and soon 2 will be gone. They are currently demolishing terminal 2 and enlarging terminal 3 on the property. Phoenix doesn't plan on renumbering the terminals.

But the airport terminals do have names terminal 3 is also known as John McCain Terminal and terminal 4 known as Barry Goldwater Terminal.

Reactions: semipenguin

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Taco Bell logos are everywhere. The employees wear Taco Bell uniforms. The rooms are stocked with Taco Bell chips. Taco Bell clothing and collectibles are sold in the gift shop. The swimming pool floats look like giant Taco Bell sauce packets. The 1993 movie Demolition Man envisioned a future where the only restaurant chain is Taco Bell. Nobody could have imagined a Taco Bell Hotel.

1565379807206.png

Reactions: semipenguin

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Just remember, you Toledo horse to water but you can't make him drink. And look what I found on the UrbanOhio forum: a discussion, begun in 2006, about plans for a new $96,000,000 federal courthouse in Toledo. Almost everyone who commented said the proposed building is ugly. One person said it looks like a giant Rolodex. Did Mister Hectic have anything to do with the design? And would he admit it if he did?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Reading through the comments, my suspicions about people are true. Everyone is an idiot.
Nobody posting there has a clue about architecture, but the have a mouse and an audience.

It took a while to grow on me, but I don't think it's too bad. (My old reply to Casual Fan would have been "I wouldn't have done it that way." )

My firm (at that time) didn't have anything to do with it. For big projects like that, they look for a nationally known design firm who teams up with a local firm. That way the client gets the notoriety of a big league designer with the knowledge and service of a local firm. We teamed up with a firm out of California (I think) but didn't get the job. I wasn't on that team, so I don't know much more than that.

The architect that did the design that they were going to build, did a presentation on it for the local architects association (AIA) and it was pretty interesting. The additional renderings that he showed helped tell the story better.

I met one of the judges that was really advocating for the thing at a ballgame. We talked about it quite a bit. He was less than happy that it wasn't going to be built. It the economy hadn't tanked, it just might have happened.

Unfortunately, the renovation of the existing courthouse will cost more than the new building would have cost.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing