HecticArt Wonderful Architecture Work

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
While we're all waiting for an update with baited breath, I (surprisingly) have my own story, which I'll also inappropriately post here. The last time I had an outside job interview, Bob Dole was running for president. That is, until last week.

Two weeks ago, my drummer/ software engineer friend brings to my attention an opening at the company he's been working at for 2 years. They're located 15 glorious minutes from my house, via winding country roads. I spend half a day updating my resume (which I started working on a year ago), and applied through him. The hiring manager then schedules an in-person interview with me.

Some background: I'm not particularly looking for a job. My employer of many decades is hiring like mad, and there's work up-the-wazoo. Also, I started working 2 to 3 days a week from home, which is awesome. But of course there are things I despise about my situation, and I could use some options for the next few years down the road. Also, having never hopped-around the job market, I've passed-up all those jumps in pay that go with that.

But back to the interview. The place is old; a post WWII industrial fortress. The stuff they make there is much more routine and "widget-like" than where I've been. The main guy conducting the tour and interview looks like this
View attachment 5638

The guy feels compelled to show me all these rooms and areas I don't really need to see. Then I sit-down for a group interview in a conference room, where one of the guys starts shooting "college recruiting 101" questions at me: "Tell me about a time that you were faced with a technical hurdle, and how you dealt with it?" I did come up with something, but the whole time I was thinking "F-U asshole; who do you think you're talking to?". We finish the interview, and talk salary. He doesn't blink, I don't blink. But the place is sort-of pathetic, there's a room with cubicles, and that's the entire engineering staff. And that's within a giant 6 story building that once had a thousand production workers.

Two days later, we talk by phone. It was all exactly as I expected. They all liked me, I can have the position if I want, but they weren't looking particularly for someone at my level, so I'd have to take a pay-cut (wanted to hang-up right there). But there'll be other positions becoming available at the end of the year (possibly, or he said that to get me off the phone). But I'm glad I did the whole thing, instead of seeing the job openings and wondering if I should do something. And perhaps it will come back to me in the near future.

Ironically, I'm super-busy at my old job, and there's a bunch of new guys that they need me to help with. And working from home is great. Also, Mrs. Scotch has the pet-sitting business, and on any given day or week, we'll have a dog staying here, or getting dropped-off/ picked-up. So it's useful for me to be available every so often.
So if you recall, when Hectic was interviewing for his new job, I also had a job interview (above). Well yesterday they announced they're closing the big old manufacturing plant (where the engineers also reside) by end of year. They will be relocating the engineers, and the manufacturing will be farmed-out. What a surprise.

Reactions: HecticArt

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
When I was a child – last century – I made a few miniature houses and buildings by gluing Popsicle sticks together. I never imagined that Norwegian architects would someday be using essentially the same method to build skyscrapers.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
When I was a child – last century – I made a few miniature houses and buildings by gluing Popsicle sticks together. I never imagined that Norwegian architects would someday be using essentially the same method to build skyscrapers.

Interesting. If only someone else had thought of posting this, wait....

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This thread is brought to you be Elmers Glue All.
Lots and lots of Elmers Glue All...
_DSC4349_copy__58097.1540880054.JPG

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Well, once again I posted a story that someone had already posted. I'm a busy man. I don't have time to look at every page of a thread before I post something. For your amazement and amusement, here is a fun article which I don't think anyone else has posted – and when I have more time, I will post an interesting story about wooden skyscrapers in Norway.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
There is this famous pic that everyone knows:

1582191703054.png

And this article has a bunch of other cool pics/video I've never seen before:

Fortunately there are no architects in this article just the construction workers...aka the real men. (Sorry Hectic I can't help myself.)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I love that stuff.
Construction workers are great now, and nothing gets done without them, bet they were AWESOME back in the day.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I’ve always been fascinated by those things. I take a lot pictures of them when I see interesting ones.
there was a Dirty Jobs where Mike worked with a company that rebuilds them. Pretty cool.

Reactions: semipenguin

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Peter Zumthor – whose name is probably at the very bottom of the alphabetical list of architects – has designed a new building for the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. It will span Wilshire Boulevard and will cost $750,000,000. It will also have concrete walls and will sit above the juncture of three seismic faults. Ummm.......

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's a lotta Picasso.
The problem seems to be with the owner to me. They seem to be overly ambitious with their funding model. The design isn't too bad, but could be better.
Spending that kind of cash and losing gallery space seems irresponsible on everyones part to me.