Here We Go Again - Another Marvin Gaye Song Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Decades, Pop, Rock' started by scotchandcigar, Aug 10, 2016.

1. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

If you're going to steal something, it might as well be from Marvin. You know you're getting good stuff.
  3. microbob

microbob Well-Known Member

Why can't these new Artists come up with original tunes? Are we all out of notes and cord progressions or are they lazy?
    semipenguin likes this.
  4. microbob

microbob Well-Known Member

Just get the family's permission first.
    HecticArt likes this.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That's the ticket.
    Cut them in for a modest percentage and they stay pretty happy.
    microbob likes this.
  6. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

I have a different viewpoint. They only "copied" a chord progression. In western civilization, there are only so many "pleasing" note sequences. If you paid me to analyze every popular contemporary song, I'm sure I can find its roots in something older. In fact, the classic songs of the 60s and 70s are themselves based on songs from the 50s or older.

How come Lexus (Toyota) can copy a Mercedes, Samsung can copy an iPhone, Seiko can copy a Rolex, but in 2016, someone can't write a song which contains a 4 note sequence that was used in a song 40 years ago?
    semipenguin and HecticArt like this.
  7. IndustrialH

IndustrialH "Who turned the volume down?"

I remember Chuck Berry commenting about it in a doco many moons ago, when he was asked about some of his material - the reply - "..there is nothing new under the sun.."
    HecticArt, semipenguin and microbob like this.
  8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Nothing you can sing that ain't been sung.

Sent from Tapatalk
    scotchandcigar and memebag like this.
  9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Given the self imposed restrictions of pop music, it is impossible not to replicate rhythms, bass lines and chord progressions.
    scotchandcigar likes this.