Holiday Music 2011

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by Goodeye, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

Alright I guess it's that time again, Time to figure out when the holiday channels go live on SiriusXM.

Apparently this is tradition for me to ask, I recall being the first one to ask many times way back on the Sirius Backstage days lol.

So who thinks it will be on or the 15th of Nov again? That would be a Tuesday, plus it's a week before Thanksgiving. I will again be taking my family out to see snow once the channels go live, and since it's actually snowed up north here and likely will again this weekend we wont have to go out of state on the weekend to see it.

Aaron likes this.
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I'm guessing closer to the 18th.

3. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Way to early, Christmas music should come out after Thanksgiving!

4. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

Most think that but they always play it early each year.

5. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

The "local" stations are already playing Christmas music. :wtf:

6. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I know, there a local radio station in Phoenix 99.9 KEZ and they usually play x-mas music right around this time.

7. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I think they will likely go live with Holly around the 3rd weekend in November. I have already built several new age Christmas playlist for use at the office on Rdio. During the playlist creation I listened to several songs. My son came by and he was like Dad, the next thing you know you'll be digging those boxes out of the storage building and bugging me to help decorate the lawn. I said "Oh is that this weekend already" LOL

October, November and December are my favorite times of the year!

8. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I'll probably listen to Holly 11-14. And Holiday Traditions if it becomes available.

9. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

Ya they havn't yet (I'm in the Phoenix Metro area) but my wife said they keep teasing it today while she was listening to the radio when she was out and about today.

Am I right in my understanding that with an XM based radio the channel name will actually change as well to read: Holly and Holiday Traditions? Instead of the normal channels they are taking over?

10. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Depending on the XM radio that you have not only do the names changed, but the logos and backgrounds will change as well to a Christmas theme. This is because on the XM side they can do on the fly channel changes. Not so with Sirius as it requires a channel mapping update.

11. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

Ya I will soon have the Onyx it's color screen based but I do not believe it has backgrounds. It's all good at least my co-workers when they are in my car wont be questioning why I am listening to a 40's channel lol.

With XM being able to do that, no wonder Sirius is moving to XM's Sat Rad tech.

12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

LOL, yeah I think the XM system is technically superior in many ways, including the ability to expand the number of channels. I think Sirius's system for the most part is tapped out on channel expansion.

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Whenever they start it, I can't let the Mrs know. It's all I'll be able to listen to in the car.
    I'm down with the Christmas tunes for a little while hear and there for about 2 weeks before and that's pretty much it. She'd be happy if they had the station going all year.

14. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

LOL, My wife and me are the opposite, she thinks it needs to wait till Thanksgiving week, However I'm ready to start to listen as of Nov 1st. The only reason she is cool listening in my car is because she knows the Christmas music puts me in a great mood the rest of the year lol.

15. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Bah humbug.

Talk to me on 12/15.

16. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

SiriusXM Holiday music begins on 11/14
    [​IMG]

I personally think we should focus on Veterans Day for the first 2 weeks of November, then start with the Christmas channels the Wed before Thanksgiving. But, with all the early snow in many parts of US & Canada, I can certainly see why many people are eager for Christmas tunes.

This was posted on SXM's FB page last month- official announcement coming soon:

Holly starts Monday 11/14/11 on Ch 17(Confirmed on SXM Love's FB page)
    Holiday Pops starts Friday 12/2/11 probably on Ch 75
    Country Christmas starts Friday 12/2/11 probably on Ch 56
    Radio Hanukkah starts Tuesday 12/20/11 probably on Ch 69

Important Note: I don't think any online channels will be taken over- They should use all 4 Limited Engagements for Holiday Channels and all will be in Stereo. Last year Holiday Traditions on XM 4 (only on radios) was in mono and sounded awful compared to the internet stream!

No word yet on Holiday Traditions. Judging from previous years, it will begin 11/14 on Ch 4, but not for sure.

There is much speculation about SXM 18 Limited Engagements- Even though it's still broadcasting Enlighten, all references to Enlighten have been removed from the web page except Now Playing. It's currently playing on 2 different channels online.

Here's my hopes: Return Holly to the original format- mostly 70s & 80s and a little early 90s. Many complaints the last 2 years when they saturated it with 'Glee' songs and many 2000's songs.

Create a new channel for the younger crowd- 1995-present or even just 2000-today and call it 2KHoliday or Holiday2K and put it on Ch 18. More choices for all age groups>
    Thank You and Good Day

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  17. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

Can you post a link to that Facebook post?

18. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

SiriusXM Radio | Facebook It was actually a reply from SiriusXM to a post on or about Oct 18. You have to select Everyone (Most Recent) and then keep selecting Older Posts until you get to it

19. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I heard some of that in the car today either on the my way to or from work. But when they do start playing Christmas music, I will change the station to either KUPD or The Peak. I don't get into the X-mas mood after Thanksgiving.

20. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

Lol. I think the teasing by 99.9 is just stupid, Either play it or say "It's coming out on this day".