Holiday Music 2013 countdown thread!

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
Just like every year when November 1st rolls around now begins the countdown to when the Holiday/Christmas/Winter Solstice (enter favorite winter holiday music here) begins.

Whether you hate the music until it's actually Christmas or love listening to when it starts when do you think it may happen this year?

Seeing as Thanksgiving is actually 4 weeks away I'll be honest I think we will see it later than we have in recent years. I know years ago we have seen them flip the channels as early as the 8th or 12th of November.

The only thing I would really like to see is the Bing Crosby channel as we get closer to Christmas day, and that for capable radios they push out the logos and "DECENT" holiday backgrounds.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm guessing we'll see something on line a week before thanksgiving and 1 or 2 starter channels on the sats for turkey day. The rest of the sat channels will make it around the second week of December.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I wonder about the seasonal background this year. With the Xtra channel radios going to the blue background and the Edge & Lynx being discontinued. Maybe the Onyx Plus will save the season and all the radios will get one.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
I'm guessing we'll see something on line a week before thanksgiving and 1 or 2 starter channels on the sats for turkey day. The rest of the sat channels will make it around the second week of December.
Concur- since Thanksgiving was very early last year (Nov 22) Holly & Traditions started earlier than normal. 10 days before Turkey Day is the norm, so most likely they'll launch on Nov 19th this year.

Here's last years dates to get a general idea:

tn-holly.jpg

Holly > SXM 17
Tues. Nov. 13 – Mon. Dec. 31
Contemporary holiday music as well as traditional favourites, including songs by Justin Bieber, Mariah Carey, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Richard Marx, Gloria Estefan, Colbie Caillat, Josh Groban and Michael Buble

tn-holidaytraditions.jpg

Holiday Traditions > SXM 4/142
Tues. Nov. 13 – Mon. Dec. 31
Dream of a White Christmas with traditional holiday recordings from the `40s through the `60s by artists such as Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Ray Conniff, Nat "King" Cole and more.

tn-countrychristmas.jpg

Country Christmas > SXM 58
Tues. Dec. 4 – Wed. Dec. 26
A wide-ranging assortment of country Christmas music, including Garth Brooks, Carrie Underwood and Lady Antebellum.

tn-holidaypops.jpg

Holiday Pops > SXM 75
Tues. Dec. 4 – Wed. Dec. 26
Classical Christmas carols and holiday favourites performed by the greatest classical musicians of all time, including the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Luciano Pavarotti, New York Philharmonic, King’s College Choir, Boston Pops and Thomas Hampson.

tn-RadioHanukkah.jpg

Radio Hanukkah > SXM 69
Sat. Dec. 8 – Mon. Dec. 17
An extensive collection of Hanukkah music, including contemporary, traditional and children’s Hanukkah selections.

tn-holidaysoul.jpg

Holiday Soul > SXM 49
Tues. Dec. 11 - Wed. Dec. 26
Classic soul and Motown holiday music from the ‘60s and ‘70s, including Aretha Franklin, Temptations, James Brown, Lou Rawls, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Dionne Warwick, The Jackson 5, The Four Tops, The Supremes, The O’Jays and Gladys Knight.[/QUOTE]

scott0702

Sep 27, 2012
Woodland Hills, ca
I would suspect the dates will be very similar to last year. I remember back in 2007 Holly came on November 1st but it was XM back then. Since 2008 it's come on about the same time each year the week of the 11th.

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
I would suspect the dates will be very similar to last year. I remember back in 2007 Holly came on November 1st but it was XM back then. Since 2008 it's come on about the same time each year the week of the 11th.

Yeah I'm kinda expecting we will see it on either the 11th or 12th. They always seem to launch on a Tuesday (not sure why they do that)

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC

Yeah I'm kinda expecting we will see it on either the 11th or 12th. They always seem to launch on a Tuesday (not sure why they do that)
Did you 2 even bother to read what Hectic and I wrote? The line between logic and hope is not very thin.

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
Yes I did. Sorry it's early I should have added in: "I think your right". It has happened that way for the past few years though I recall it happening years ago the weekend before Thanksgiving.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Did you 2 even bother to read what Hectic and I wrote? The line between logic and hope is not very thin.

I hadn't bothered to see what they did last year, and I was just guessing. The Mrs looks forward to hearing it more than I do. She'd listen to it in July. I'm more of a few days before Xmas guy myself, but let her know when the channels are up so she can listen.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I need to hook up my radio in my truck. I've been without satrad for over a month :(

I love Radio Hanukkah :)

Love The Dreidel Song :cool:

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Satellite

SiriusXM to Launch Holiday Music Channels

> With seven commercial-free channels featuring a collection of holiday music, SiriusXM offers most comprehensive lineup of holiday music channels on radio

Sirius XM Radio today announced its extensive holiday music lineup featuring seven commercial-free specialty channels celebrating the festive season.

SiriusXM's holiday music channels will offer listeners a variety of traditional holiday songs, classical Christmas carols, country Christmas classics, contemporary holiday tunes, soul music, Hanukkah music and Latin seasonal music.

SiriusXM's commercial-free holiday music channels will be available on multiple satellite radio channels. They will also be available in the Holiday category via the SiriusXM Internet Radio App for smartphones and other connected devices and online at siriusxm.com. Satellite radio channels that are pre-empted for the holiday content will be available to SiriusXM Internet Radio subscribers via smartphones and other connected devices at siriusxm.com.

SiriusXM's holiday channel lineup features:

Holiday Traditions (via satellite on channel 4) will feature traditional holiday music from the '40s through the '60s by artists such as Andy Williams, Ray Conniff, Bing Crosby and Nat "King" Cole.
Tuesday, November 12 at 12:00 pm ET- Tuesday, December 31 at 3:00 am ET

Holly (via satellite on channel 17) will feature contemporary holiday music as well as traditional favorites, including songs by Kelly Clarkson, Josh Groban, Michael Buble, Mariah Carey, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Colbie Caillat, Whitney Houston and the cast of Glee.
Tuesday, November 12 at 12:00 pm ET- Tuesday, December 31 at 3:00 am ET

Holiday Pops (via satellite on channel 75) will feature classical Christmas carols and other holiday favorites by the greatest classical musicians of all-time, including the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Boston Pops, Luciano Pavarotti, The New York Philharmonic, King's College Choir and Thomas Hampson.
Tuesday, December 3 at 12:00 pm ET- Thursday, December 26 at 3:00 am ET

Country Christmas (via satellite on channel 58) will feature a mix of country Christmas music from contemporary artists as well as classic country artists, including Garth Brooks, Carrie Underwood and Lady Antebellum.
Tuesday, December 3 at 12:00 pm ET- Thursday, December 26 at 3:00 am ET

Navidad (SiriusXM channel 756) will feature contemporary Latin holiday music and with traditional classics, including Jose Feliciano, Willie Colon, Gloria Estefan, Marco Antonio Solis, El Gran Combo and Thalia.
Tuesday, December 3 at 12:00 pm ET- Tuesday, January 7 at 3:00 am ET

Holiday Soul (via satellite on channel 49) will feature classic soul and Motown holiday music from the '60s and '70s as well as R&B from the '80s and '90s including Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Dionne Warwick, The Four Tops, The Supremes, The O'Jays, James Brown, The Temptations, Lou Rawls and Toni Braxton.
Tuesday, December 10 at 12:00 pm ET - Thursday, December 26 at 3:00 am ET

Radio Hanukkah (via satellite on channel 111) will feature a wide variety of Hanukkah music including contemporary, traditional and children's Hanukkah classics.
Wednesday, November 27 at 12:00 pm ET- Thursday, December 5 at 3:00 am ET

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
You nailed it! Very happy to be wrong- that's what I get for trying to predict what SXM will do! They had to be getting tired of all the requests on their FB page since Late August!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
You nailed it! Very happy to be wrong- that's what I get for trying to predict what SXM will do! They had to be getting tired of all the requests on their FB page since Late August!

There you go. I was off a bit. Also wrong on the on-line preview.

What do I know? :idunno:

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona

I'm surprised I was right to be honest. I was just analyzing what they have done the last few years and figured it was the most possible launch date.

I already set channel 17 and 4 on my Lynx for a couple of my Sat presets. It'll be nice to listen on my drive to work that morning. Wonder what time they will go live.

Also I wonder if we will get logos again this year. If I recall correctly SiriusXM was pushing out some BS excuse to why they couldn't do that and after a couple days of complaints logos and backgrounds showed up. It'll be interesting to see what the channel backgrounds will be this year after the move to the "blue backgrounds" which I honestly don't care for.

I'm disappointed in no listing for Christmas Radio.

If I recall correctly didn't that channel not end happening?

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
I already set channel 17 and 4 on my Lynx for a couple of my Sat presets. It'll be nice to listen on my drive to work that morning. Wonder what time they will go live.

If I recall correctly didn't that channel not end happening?
Wow- you really do get excited- all start times are listed in the Press Release above ^

I'm disappointed in no listing for Christmas Radio.

Don't fret- The Crosby Estate always waits until the week before Christmas before they finalize their contract with SXM and only run it for 1 week( I hope I'm wrong about this for this Holiday season!) Don't expect to hear anything about this until around Dec 17th.

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
Wow- you really do get excited- all start times are listed in the Press Release above ^

Don't fret- The Crosby Estate always waits until the week before Christmas before they finalize their contract with SXM and only run it for 1 week( I hope I'm wrong about this for this Holiday season!) Don't expect to hear anything about this until around Dec 17th.

I happened to leave the house after reading that and figured "ah what the hell, might as well" lol.

Yeah I know Bing Crosby radio only happens around then. However wasn't Christmas radio supposed to be something else.

Also yeah I missed the times on the press release.

dlnester

Oct 15, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
I thought Bing Crosby Radio was shoehorned into the Christmas Radio channel, which was announced but never really hit the air. Nobody really knew what Christmas Radio was going to be, and this year it isn't listed anywhere.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
It's "Bing Crosby Christmas Radio" - they just didn't list the whole name because it had not been finalized. Remember, this is not an in-house channel like all the other Holiday Channels. They just can't say anything about it yet until the Crosby Estate gives SXM the OK.

Again, like every year, we probably won't hear anything else officially about this until mid December.