Hollywood is out of ideas!

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
The DRC Madness concluded with the "last film standing." My proposal would result in a list of the 50 (or more) best movies, as chosen by DRC members. To allay Mister scotch's demurral – and you all know I'm not the demurral-allayer I used to be – I suggest we consider only mainstream movies, not obscure indie films that 99% of moviegoers have never heard of. Here are my own ten favorites: two Disney films and eight Marx Brothers films. The original Pete's Dragon has a star-studded cast, good songs, excellent choreography.......and Elliot.

1. Pete's Dragon (1977)
2. Enchanted
3. Duck Soup
4. A Night At The Opera
5. A Day At The Races
6. Monkey Business
7. Horse Feathers
8. The Cocoanuts
9. Go West
10. At The Circus

Runners-up: Frozen, A Hard Day's Night, Yellow Submarine, The Big Store, The Santa Clause, Monsters Inc., Singin' In The Rain.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The DRC Madness concluded with the "last film standing." My proposal would result in a list of the 50 (or more) best movies, as chosen by DRC members. To allay Mister scotch's demurral – and you all know I'm not the demurral-allayer I used to be – I suggest we consider only mainstream movies, not obscure indie films that 99% of moviegoers have never heard of. Here are my own ten favorites: two Disney films and eight Marx Brothers films. The original Pete's Dragon has a star-studded cast, good songs, excellent choreography.......and Elliot.

1. Pete's Dragon (1977)
2. Enchanted
3. Duck Soup
4. A Night At The Opera
5. A Day At The Races
6. Monkey Business
7. Horse Feathers
8. The Cocoanuts
9. Go West
10. At The Circus

Runners-up: Frozen, A Hard Day's Night, Yellow Submarine, The Big Store, The Santa Clause, Monsters Inc., Singin' In The Rain.
You see, this is precisely why it won't work. I don't consider most of those movies "mainstream". Most people who are living on this planet right now, wouldn't consider most of those ancient little movies to be mainstream. I haven't seen any of them, and I haven't even heard of a few. Likewise, Memebag would come up with a list of movies he considers "mainstream", with which we would all disagree. And someone like Wolf might pick a bunch of very mainstream, populist movies, that we'd all poo-poo as being market-driven fluff (I'm not picking on Wolf, it's just an example).

The beauty of DRC is that we're a diverse group of members who have different interests and experiences from each other. So there's always someone who knows about whatever the topic is. IRBS is an expert on the Home Alone franchise, while Meme hasn't seen any. But he has seen hundreds of movies that none of us have. Many members have seen every every Marvel Comics movie. I haven't seen any, which is not necessarily good. I don't read, and I generally don't see movies. Therefore, I'd place little value on any of my opinions, because I don't have any.

Reactions: HecticArt

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
You don't have any opinions? Then what the heck are you doing on a message board? Okay, we'll forget about compiling a list of our favorite films. And since I'm the only one who submitted a top-ten list, Pete's Dragon will forever stand as DRC members' greatest film of all time. :D

1566333951504.png

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Favorite movies and greatest movies aren't necessarily the same thing. Some movies that I'll watch over and over, are far from cinematic masterpieces. It seems to me that the challenge, is to pick what we each think are the 10 best films. The Godfather and Dumb and Dumber may not be on everyone's list, but it doesn't matter. Art is subjective, and were all morons in our own special ways. Meme can pick his favorite esoteric masterpieces that none of us have heard of, Koop can pick 10 Phish concert Philms, and Scotch and I will pick the winners.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Here is my boss, bitchin', groovy idea: We each list our favorite movies, ranked from #1 to #10. Somebody – I guess I'm volunteering – can combine all the lists by giving 10 points to each #1 movie, nine points to each #2 movie and so on. Ties would be broken by box-office performance. We would have our very own DRC Greatest Films list to rival the AFI list. Wooh!

Isn't this sort of like a Movies Madness?

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
A Movies Madness would go through several rounds and we'd end up with one film that is supposedly the best. My idea would have resulted in a ranked list of at least 50 movies. Unfortunately, my idea turned out to be impractical. I should have suggested something a majority of us could agree on, such as best animated wallaby (Rocko) or most annoying musical instrument (accordion or bagpipes). Hey, now that I think about it, "most annoying musical instrument" would be a good category for the next DRC Madness!

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Isn't this sort of like a Movies Madness?
If I listed my favorite (or best) movies, I wouldn't care about other people's lists. But for madness, you want your picks to get votes, so it's completely different.

Like Hectic said, favorites and bests are different. I appreciate that The Godfather is one of the greatest movie series, but I missed the window to get into it. So I'd prefer watching Office Space. I'd watch Terms of Endearment before I'd sit through Citizen Kane.

I consider myself knowledgeable enough about music, that I can give informed opinions, or make lists. But if everyone decides to make movie lists, I'll offer mine.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Getting back on topic, I invite everyone to circle December 18, 2020 on your calendars and join me in singing:

I love to be in America!
Movie remakes I see in America!
Never a lack in America!
West Side Story comes back to America!

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
You see, this is precisely why it won't work. I don't consider most of those movies "mainstream". Most people who are living on this planet right now, wouldn't consider most of those ancient little movies to be mainstream.

I don’t think you are a good judge of “mainstream”. By your own admission, you don’t watch a lot of movies, so you probably aren’t that knowledgeable about them. Marx Bros movies are timeless, and they have made a lot of money. You don’t know about them so you project that others don’t as well.

Can I ask which 13 you have NOT seen?

ON THE WATERFRONT - I don’t think I’ve seen it.
THE GRAPES OF WRATH - I’m almost sure I’ve seen it, but it was a long time ago.
THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE - Same story.
HIGH NOON
IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO - I tried to watch it at home but my attention drifted away.
NORTH BY NORTHWEST - Something about this movie bugs me. I have never finished it.
FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
SHANE - Can’t be sure, but I think I saw it.
BEN-HUR - I have a deluxe Blu-ray of this. I’ve tried, but it puts me to sleep.
WUTHERING HEIGHTS
A PLACE IN THE SUN
UNFORGIVEN

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Marx Bros movies are timeless, and they have made a lot of money.
I am aware of this. I would guess that many movie buffs might have one or two of these on their lists. I also agree they've influenced more contemporary movies. But having a favorite movie list - today - that's mostly comprised of Marx Bros movies, is niche, not mainstream.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I am aware of this. I would guess that many movie buffs might have one or two of these on their lists. I also agree they've influenced more contemporary movies. But having a favorite movie list - today - that's mostly comprised of Marx Bros movies, is niche, not mainstream.
So the movies are mainstream but the favorite list isn’t?

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
So the movies are mainstream but the favorite list isn’t?
It's not just one or the other. Pick any year, there might be dozens of acclaimed mainstream movies. But years later, only a few of those (if any) will make the reviewers' lists; the rest will fade into obscurity. So after all these years, and thousands of movies later, a list of favorite movies consisting almost exclusively of 75 year old movies is indeed obscure.

I'm not saying it's wrong - it's personal taste, it can't be wrong. But to pretend it's not an obscure list is dishonest.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
It's not just one or the other. Pick any year, there might be dozens of acclaimed mainstream movies. But years later, only a few of those (if any) will make the reviewers' lists; the rest will fade into obscurity. So after all these years, and thousands of movies later, a list of favorite movies consisting almost exclusively of 75 year old movies is indeed obscure.

I'm not saying it's wrong - it's personal taste, it can't be wrong. But to pretend it's not an obscure list is dishonest.
So the movies aren't mainstream? Just trying to figure out which goal posts you are moving.