Hot Stove League: Pre 2011 Season

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
:ter:

Joey Votto
Votto, Mr. Redlegs doing SportsCenter ad Posted by dclark

01/21/11, 5:30 pm According to Tweets late this afternoon, National League MVP Joey Votto and Reds mascot Mr. Redlegs will appear in a new SportsCenter ad on ESPN.

From CincinnatiReds:

Quick tidbit for #Reds fans: 2010 NL MVP Joey Votto & Mr. Redlegs are in CT today to film a new @ESPN @SportsCenter commercial

From the Reds’ Jamie Ramsey:

Lots of our Reds family members filming commercials lately…stay tuned to ESPN for a Most Valuable spot for that sports network.

If/when we find out when it’s airing, we’ll let you know …
As is Buster....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My son just lost has last 2 favourite Blue Jays. His all time favourite was Alex Rios. He was released 2 years ago. His next favourite was Lyle Overbay (so much so he likes playing 1st base in baseball). He left as a fee agent. His 3rd was Vernon Wells. They dumped him on Friday.

Of course they got rid of my favourite (Haliday) last winter.

I believe the Jays see 5th place as attainable and are going for it with a full head of steam ... Baltimore be damned.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
My son just lost has last 2 favourite Blue Jays. His all time favourite was Alex Rios. He was released 2 years ago. His next favourite was Lyle Overbay (so much so he likes playing 1st base in baseball). He left as a fee agent. His 3rd was Vernon Wells. They dumped him on Friday.

Of course they got rid of my favourite (Haliday) last winter.

I believe the Jays see 5th place as attainable and are going for it with a full head of steam ... Baltimore be damned.
I would not under value the B-Jays to that level. I think the Rays fall down to the bottom and I see both Baltimore and Toronto as being in the race to very near the end. It could be a three or four team race.

Dumping Wells was a good thing. Toronto has to get away from a couple of bad contracts. I think they'll be competitive.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I just heard on XM that Lou Piniella is joining the Giants as a consultant.
He's going to train Bochy on how to properly dislodge second base while maintaining enough momentum on throwing the base into center field.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Pitchers and catchers report Monday, predictions?

NL West: Giants
NL Central: Cardinals
NL East: Phillies
Wildcard: Rockies

AL West: Angels
AL Central: White Sox
AL East: Red Sox
Wild Card: Yankees

NL Champ: Phillies
AL Champ: Red Sox

Phillies defeat the Red Sox for the WS.

sbv71

Oct 12, 2008
My predictions:

AL East - Boston Red Sox
AL West - Texas Rangers
AL Central - Minnesota Twins
Wildcard - N.Y. Yankees

NL East - Philadelphia Phillies
NL West - San Francisco Giants
NL Central - Cincinnati Reds
Wildcard - St. Louis Cardinals

ALCS - Boston over Texas
NLCS - Philadelphia over San Francisco
World Series - Philadelphia over Boston

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
It's just a tad early for the predictorlater to start working again. I'll trudge through ST before I make my yearly bid for high range mediocrity.

I think that a lot of the regular posters will be fairly happy with how the season will play itself out this coming year.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
I'm having a little trouble with this one. First, the sportscenter / baseball tonight ESPN folks are talking like he is the "best player of all time" and should be paid like it. Best of all time? Really? I guess I will believe it once he amasses over 4000 hits, 700 hrs, etc. There were a lot of good players "all time". Pete Rose comes to mind. Very long career in many positions, playing were the team needed him most, getting over 200 hits with some power and speed every year. I'm too young to witness the greats from the middle of last century.

Secondly, isn't baseball heading for a labor issue next fall? I don't see how any team will shell out record amounts of cash for him with an uncertain future. If they do institute some type of cap, his giant salary would probably be grandfathered in. I don't even think a NY team or Boston would take on this much financial risk.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Perhaps the best players should be paid the most, but as in life, it doesn't always play out that way. I find it hard to believe that anyone should get a ten year contract. In asking for the most money, Albert is suggesting that St. Louis hamstring their organization for years to come. The only teams that can absorb that kind of contract would be the teams out east in the American League.

Let Albert play in New York or Boston...who gives a crap? The Cardinals were going to give him 7 years and 200 million. That's not good enough? Screw it, go pound salt or play for New York.

Albert better hope he doesn't obtain a bad back midway through the year, or more likely, he better hope his team stays in the hunt and has enough hitting to protect him in the lineup. If Holiday goes down, why pitch to Albert? If Albert doesn't get pitched to, his numbers won't be as sweet...that could mean the difference of some serious money.

I think he would have been better off taking the seven year deal in St. Louis.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Agree 100%

Perhaps the best players should be paid the most, but as in life, it doesn't always play out that way. I find it hard to believe that anyone should get a ten year contract. In asking for the most money, Albert is suggesting that St. Louis hamstring their organization for years to come. The only teams that can absorb that kind of contract would be the teams out east in the American League.

Let Albert play in New York or Boston...who gives a crap? The Cardinals were going to give him 7 years and 200 million. That's not good enough? Screw it, go pound salt or play for New York.

Albert better hope he doesn't obtain a bad back midway through the year, or more likely, he better hope his team stays in the hunt and has enough hitting to protect him in the lineup. If Holiday goes down, why pitch to Albert? If Albert doesn't get pitched to, his numbers won't be as sweet...that could mean the difference of some serious money.

I think he would have been better off taking the seven year deal in St. Louis.
Thank you Albert. :hw:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
ESPN has been playing the starfucker for years. Pujols is good, but better than Pete Rose? Not by a long shot. And since it's now the age of the pitcher, the chances of him approaching those kind of numbers are a lot less than they used to be.