Howard's New Book - Anyone Care To Speculate?

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Howard will be pushing his new book relentlessly for the next two months. I understand it will be about his interviews. Anyone care to speculate on what he will brag about the most? For me, his greatest interview was the Jerry Seinfeld done about two years ago. His Alec Baldwin interview when Alec was battling his ex-wife was memorable. His Trump interviews were great fun. I will never forget his interview of Alanis Morissette in KROK days. I don't think Howard will choose the Seinfeld or Baldwin because those guys interviewed Howard as much as Howard interviewed them. Howard likes to do all of the interviewing and apply his renowned ability as psycho analyst. I am speculating that Howard will view his greatest interviews will be those where he got the interviewee to throw someone under the bus or to admit his brother or sister was jealous of his or her success. Another factor for Howard (I speculate) will be how big the name (Sir Paul).

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I wanna see what the big reveal is.

I don't think his parents are dead, because it would have leaked out.
He said he had to lie "at the time" so I don't think it's hair-related.

I just want to know what happened to Scott the Engineer. Is he still there, popcorn lung and all? 99% of the goofing is either done on Benjy, Booey or or Richard and Sal.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Are you saying StE isn't there anymore?

I wanna see what the big reveal is.

I don't think his parents are dead, because it would have leaked out.
He said he had to lie "at the time" so I don't think it's hair-related.

I just want to know what happened to Scott the Engineer. Is he still there, popcorn lung and all? 99% of the goofing is either done on Benjy, Booey or or Richard and Sal.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Are you saying StE isn't there anymore?

I thought he was still there, but now I have my doubts. The last time he made news was when his wife(?) died and everyone was seemingly outraged because Howard didn't do anything publicly in memoriam.

Some of the comments make it seem like maybe he's taking some personal time away, if he even plans to return.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I will get the book. I hope it's as fun a read as Miss America. When I was like 14 that was the coolest book ever. From his reveal it seems like it won't be as wacky and fun a read but at least he went with another silly title.

BTW/I now have a 48 show backlog. I've kinda stopped listening lately but I will get back into it sooner or later. I have all 48 waiting to go.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Howard on CBS Sunday Morning this Sunday. He'll be on the Tonight Show this Wednesday.

We already know that his favorite guest was Conan and he had surgery for a mysterious growth which turned out to be benign...this is what caused him to miss that random day a year or two ago.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I see my post from March so it's time for another...Backlog Check!

It's now 65 shows strong.

I guess it's safe to say I don't listen to THSS anymore. First time I haven't been a regular listener since I started listening at 13 in 1997. But I do care enough to get all the shows and I still plan on getting back into it at some point. I watch HTV clips on Youtube and I will likely get his new book.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I picked up a copy of the book and thumbed through it.

It's exactly what Howard said it was...transcripts of various interviews. Booey is not mentioned on page noine, but Harvey Weinstein is mentioned on page noinety noine.

It's totally something you can put by your toilet and pick up while you're dropping a deuce.

And the big reveal? That's all over the internet.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
It's exactly what Howard said it was...transcripts of various interviews.

Wow, ok, having not listened in awhile I didn't know this is what the book was until looking through it today. I'm out. No way I want to read the part of the show I least enjoy and usually FF though.

When I was a teen, Miss America was the greatest piece of American literature I had ever set eyes upon. Really, until reading that, I didn't know books could actually be fun.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Wow, ok, having not listened in awhile I didn't know this is what the book was until looking through it today. I'm out. No way I want to read the part of the show I least enjoy and usually FF though.

When I was a teen, Miss America was the greatest piece of American literature I had ever set eyes upon. Really, until reading that, I didn't know books could actually be fun.

I think Howard really wants to show the non-fan that he isn't the person he was in the 80s and 90s. Does the book have adult content/language? Yes. Is it family-friendly? Far from it. But the main point is the evolution of the interview. He mentions how Trump went on early on and commented on some celebrity. In 2015, he went back on and refused to make a similar comment.

He hasn't been on since.

There is a reference early on about how Howard realized he didn't have to push the envelope. He also wrote how he didn't care if people were listening to him, as long as they were listening to SXM. To me, that's admitting Howard was in "coast mode." The 90-minute interviews never would have worked on FM...and Howard admitted that, but only because they didn't have the freedom of those long commercial-free segments. How many times did Howard take a break during a celebrity segment on FM? On satellite?

There's also some reflections before the interviews. You get the introduction and a segment or two for free via Kindle/Google. Take a gander...

But yeah, it's probably meant moreso for the person who wonders what he's been up to since leaving FM instead of the super-fan. I can say it probably isn't meant for the fans who love/miss the "gross-out" segments. He touches upon the "So, you're banging so-and-so. How big is his penis?" questions.. he seems to have a bit of remorse/regret there.

Do what I did...go into your local bookstore and leaf through it. I'm sure it'll hit libraries eventually.

Last edited:

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Got mine last night. 20 bones on amazon. Flipped through the names mostly. Lots of trump bits. Where is the deep dive into any of the eric the acting midget interviews, or Bibi Jones, or even will the farter?? Scratch and sniff??

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Got mine last night. 20 bones on amazon. Flipped through the names mostly. Lots of trump bits. Where is the deep dive into any of the eric the acting midget interviews, or Bibi Jones, or even will the farter?? Scratch and sniff??
The first few pages mentions the time he was in the restaurant and the mom came up to him asking for a photo of her kid with him.

That's who this book is meant for and why it isn't an x-rated book. He even said he's not a fan of his first two books and that they should be burned.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Saw his appearance on Fallon last night, promoting the book. (BTW, WTF is on Fallon's face?)
Everything out of his mouth is self-promotion. No examples of what interesting things his guests said in the interviews. Instead, it's all about how he's matured, and that there's a side of him that people haven't seen. It's about his life, his legacy, and his happiness. He's always re-introducing himself to the audience. I find it hard to watch, if you're a lifelong listener.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Lots of trump bits.
I need to say (and this is a big reason I don't listen anymore) that Howard sold his soul, all for the (unrealized) fleeting possibility that Trump would do another interview. Now anti-abortion laws are sweeping the country, and we all know how Howard feels about that. So, was it worth it?

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I don't know about all shit man. It's a book about him and his work. Who's he going to talk about outside the content in the book? It's good pre-promotion in my eye.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I don't know about all shit man. It's a book about him and his work. Who's he going to talk about outside the content in the book? It's good pre-promotion in my eye.
I understand what you're saying; he's touring to promote his book. But instead of saying how it's full of interesting people who said these interesting things, it's "See? I've matured, I'm not the creep you thought I was, and this book proves it. I'm a sensitive family guy. Please like me."

Reactions: Gabria13

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Ya I think he's trying to do both. I also think he's allowing hosts to set the discussion direction than ever before. What was the america's got talent? Half to show another side of himself and half a dream to work on a game type show?

I like the steely dan pic. RIP Walter.

Reactions: scotchandcigar