I can't receive any channels above 159

Discussion in 'Sirius Radios' started by jojopuppyfish, May 4, 2011.

1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish New Member

I like the channel Bandepart which was on 87 and now its on 161 or something like that.
    My radio only goes up to 159
    I have a kenwood head unit with a kenwood tuner KTC-SR902.
    Anyone know what the problem is? I bought this back in 2005 or 2006.
    If I bought a more current tuner would that help?
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Some old Sirius tuners have limitations for higher channel numbers. You will likely need a new tuner to get the upper channels.
  3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish New Member

ANy recommendations?
  4. IdRatherBeSkiing

I have an SL2 and like it but my needs were for a portable.

I would speak to TSS Radio. They give great advice and good deals and would better answer your questions based upon your needs.
  5. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

It has to go up to 184 as that's the preview channel.

Maybe a hard boot? (Pull the power to the receiver by disconnecting the battery)
  6. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

My daughter has my old Kenwood SR902. She didn't report any problems this morning but I don't think she's poking around the upper end for the channels.

The other poster is correct in that you should be able to get up to CH184. You won't get the 200s. You could try resetting the receiver to see if that clears things up or, if you're looking to upgrade, you could get a Kenwood Sirius Connect kit for about $80 on Amazon.

You'd be able to keep the antenna. You may need to get behind your radio to get to the SR902 or run the cable. You may luck out, assuming the SR902 is just tucked somewhere, be able to just swap everything out without having to run any new wires or disassembling your dash.
  7. dlnester

dlnester Active Member

It sounds like you might need a refresh.

With your radio on and receiving programming, you can go to

https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefresh_view.action

Have your radio ESN number handy, and type it into the box.

You should get a signal sent to your radio updating your channel lineup.
  8. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

If you login to your account online they also give you the option to send the refresh - and you don't need your ESN handy (thinking that it's out in the car when you read this).
  9. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

My Sportster Replay goes to Channel 160, then it jumps up to 184. No Channel 161 for me.
  10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish New Member

Yeah I can get channel 184....I'll try some of your ideas....thanks
  11. kc1ih

kc1ih Member

I think there will be a problem if you want to upgrade from an SIR902, in that the newer units likely will not work with the older head units that worked with the 902. This means you would have to get a new head unit also, making this a much more expensive proposition.
  12. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish New Member

I went through ever channel and I am missing 161, 162 and I think 155
  13. Casual Fan

Was this before or after a hard boot and a refresh from Sirius?

If those don't work, call TSS Radio.
  14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish New Member

I have not disconnected the power from the head unit.
    You think that might work?
  15. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

I'd try a system reset (if it's an aftermarket there should be a pinhole-like button somewhere on the radio that'll reset the system including the Sirius tuner) first.

It'll be less hassle than removing the power.
  16. Casual Fan

1. Pop hood.
    2. Disconnect a battery cable from terminal.
    3. Wait one minute.
    4. Reconnect the battery cable to the terminal.
    5. Turn on radio.

No need to disconnect anything in the dash.
  17. Casual Fan

Do this too; it may reset the saved settings on the radio if it doesn't use a hot wire from the battery to do that.
  18. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Some (mostly older Sirius, and many OEM head unit) radios just cannot receive all of the channels. There's nothing you can do to miraculously enable these radio to receive the channels.
  19. IdRatherBeSkiing

If you enter your radio on Sirius to determine if its eligible for Best Of XM and it says no, chances are you can't get all the channels and you should proceed accordingly. If it says yes, then you need to either do a refresh signal (easiest) from Sirius or power cycle or reset your radio and home it takes.
  20. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish New Member

I will try the reset button and inform everyone of the results. I saw someone here with a stiletto with the same problem and taking out their battery and putting it back in worked, so I think a reset is a good idea.