I cut the cord

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I'm currently trying to track down a decent OTA antenna and splitter.

Hulu and Netflix are filling the gaps adequetly so far. Hulu, however, I find to be weird.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
The novelty of it.
Web stuff works on TV's, but it's slower and harder to navigate.
Isn't internet TV for the elderly?

Webtv.jpg

Last edited:

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
I can't speak much to antennas. I am able to get all of the major network affiliates (and a bunch of independent ones) with a set of indoor rabbit ears I got at Radio Shack. It took a lot of jockeying with positioning of the antenna to get it all working right though.

I think a lot depends on where you live more than which antenna you use. Living in a city where the transmitters are close by is a plus, as well as having line of sight to them and probably some other random variables.

Reactions: hyson

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I can't speak much to antennas. I am able to get all of the major network affiliates (and a bunch of independent ones) with a set of indoor rabbit ears I got at Radio Shack. It took a lot of jockeying with positioning of the antenna to get it all working right though.

I think a lot depends on where you live more than which antenna you use. Living in a city where the transmitters are close by is a plus, as well as having line of sight to them and probably some other random variables.
Location certainly has a lot to do with it, as I found out yesterday.

I tried this craptastic antenna out with very, very limited results. Amazon.com: Mohu Refurbished Leaf 50 HDTV Antenna: Electronics It's being shipped back to Amazon today.

Based on my TV Fool report, I should be able to pull in most of my local channels with either an attic mount or full exterior mount.

That's my next project......

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Our local cable co ditched one of our local network affiliates, so we had to get an antenna. We got an indoor thing that sux. For only one channel, I didn't want to deal,with an exterior antenna. Thinking of switching providers instead.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It's too bad Aereo got shot down (although I was expecting it) but I've got a good antenna (Trek, I believe) hooked up to the TV for the locals.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Funny, our craptastic cable co just worked out a new deal with the network they took away from us. May still switch anyway.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Now I have this little slut coming in a few days. Amazon.com: Winegard HD7694P High Definition VHF/UHF Antenna: Electronics

That means I gotta get out on my crazy pitched roof and do some damage to my roofline.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to be able to run this right through my previously installed cable coax lines, plugging into the outside box with the previously installed splitter.

Lord knows I never thought in a million years I'd have a goofy ass antenna on my roof. But alas, cable is too expensive for this humble public servant.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Be careful up there. Hospital bills are a bigger scam than cable bills.
Can't you screw a bracket to the face of a rake board? Should be ladder work, no roof walking there Batman.

Reactions: Ehilbert1

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Be careful up there. Hospital bills are a bigger scam than cable bills.
Can't you screw a bracket to the face of a rake board? Should be ladder work, no roof walking there Batman.
I was just fiddle-fuggin with the ladder to gain access to my upper roof.

It's gonna be hairy. I might have access to a ladder that will get me that high. God damn, I don't wanna get out on that death trap. I'm even contemplating Plan B and just mounting the sumbitch in my attic.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Now I have this little slut coming in a few days. Amazon.com: Winegard HD7694P High Definition VHF/UHF Antenna: Electronics

That means I gotta get out on my crazy pitched roof and do some damage to my roofline.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to be able to run this right through my previously installed cable coax lines, plugging into the outside box with the previously installed splitter.

Lord knows I never thought in a million years I'd have a goofy ass antenna on my roof. But alas, cable is too expensive for this humble public servant.

Damn man. All that work and pain just so you can keep watching The View. You still missing Star Jones?

Reactions: Aaron

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
It's 100% to keep Mrs Hyson happy.

You know how that goes. I'm perfectly happy with Netflix.

I know all about keeping the Misses happy. Some of the me first people here have no idea what that's like. That's why their still single and alone! See I have to keep Dish to keep the wife and daughter happy. Someday the cord will be cut though.

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
I know all about keeping the Misses happy. Some of the me first people here have no idea what that's like. That's why their still single and alone! See I have to keep Dish to keep the wife and daughter happy. Someday the cord will be cut though.

Or, they *do* have an idea of what that's like, and that's why they choose to be single and alone :).

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Or, they *do* have an idea of what that's like, and that's why they choose to be single and alone :).

Could be but from just seeing some of their posts over the years that's not it. People who think the world revolves around them have a hard time getting a girl or guy. They can never put them or their feelings before theirs. So they stay single and alone.

Yo Hyson.... You can get basic Dish top 120 with receiver included in the price for $29.00 a month for the first year. Then it's $57 after. It's no DVR or anything special but you get some good channels and ESPN for sports. I'm not trying to push Dish or anything on you. I just thought I would mention it. That's what I got my grandmother on.

I figure you won't take it like I am pushing it on you like some people.