I hate the Blue Jay's Stadium

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I didnt care much for turf fields myself, but when they were all the rage in the 70's they actually contributed to a game that played well to speedier players and fielders. Also, more injuries since the turf was basically fuzzy plastic stretched over concrete.

Some teams with their fan bases spread out over larger rural areas (Kansas City for one) installed turf because it drained better and they could avoid rainouts that made people wary of driving 100+ miles to see a game.

The original Comiskey Park actually had a turf infield and natural grass outfield for a while. You can sort of make it out in this pic

tumblr_l37bobcPkE1qzniimo1_400.jpg

It isn't the turf that bothers me that much--sure, I'd reather have grass but I GET all the advantages to turf.

What bothers me is the FULL TURF infield. There is no dirt basepath, only dirt 10 fet around the bases. The other 80 feet is all turf. It looks dumb, plays dumb and I don't like how it looks on tv. Selfish, you bet but I was watching the game last night and it was just annoying me.

I know the new Marlins Ballpark which opens next year, will finally be a different looking then other ballparks.
marlins.jpeg

The new proposed ballpark for the Tampa Bay Rays, looks very bland!
raysbpkmain900.jpg

newballpark-400xshallow.jpg

It's kind of a mashup of the newer swiss army design, and Olympic stadium in Montreal.

Miami's is a bit of a different take on the Houston/Seattle design. I always liked Miller Parks fanned roof idea.

It isn't the turf that bothers me that much--sure, I'd reather have grass but I GET all the advantages to turf.

What bothers me is the FULL TURF infield. There is no dirt basepath, only dirt 10 fet around the bases. The other 80 feet is all turf. It looks dumb, plays dumb and I don't like how it looks on tv. Selfish, you bet but I was watching the game last night and it was just annoying me.

The sliding pits really are for purely practical reasons. Since all of those multi use stadiums shared time with the NFL (or CFL) season, concerts, rodeos, conventions, ect, it helped avoid football games with huge tracts of infield dirt being a factor in games. They could basically lower the mound below ground level, cover the sliding pits, take apart huge squares of turf, roll it up and cart if off.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's kind of a mashup of the newer swiss army design, and Olympic stadium in Montreal.

Miami's is a bit of a different take on the Houston/Seattle design. I always liked Miller Parks fanned roof idea.

Exactly. It looks like it's taking advantage of what Florida has to offer. They don't need to protect people from the cold, just the sun, and keep it open to the breeze. I'm curious what the final design will look like. It's nice to see something a little different.
newtbstadium.jpg

It's kinda cool with the "roof" up, but the need to do more with the rest of the building. You should get the same sense of what it's all about when the roof is down too.

I'm hoping to check out the Montreal stadium this September. They had some issues with it when they built it. There was too much force on the cables and it was in danger of falling over.

The next trend we're going to see is the new version of cutting edge in the form of fluid/organic high tech shapes.
China%27s%20Sexy%20New%20Stadium.jpg

It probably won't last very long, but we're bound to see a few pop up.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
The next trend we're going to see is the new version of cutting edge in the form of fluid/organic high tech shapes.
China%27s%20Sexy%20New%20Stadium.jpg

It probably won't last very long, but we're bound to see a few pop up.

That stadium does look sweet, it kinda has some similar look to the new cowboys stadium.

The Beijing National Stadium might look great to some people, but to me it looks like an eye sore and ugly. But the steel was made in a special way and it earthquake proof.
800px-Birds_Nest_Cropped.jpg

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix

I been Minute Maid Ballpark, it not bad looking and the view inside of it does have a great look looking at downtown Houston. I know Safco field is a step up above Houston. The roof goes way out over the railroad tracks and the field is flood proof, just in case if it ever floods there. For Miller Park, that is one of a kind ballpark. I like how the roof opens up like a fan, hopefully one of these days I can check out that ballpark.

For Miller Park, that is one of a kind ballpark. I like how the roof opens up like a fan, hopefully one of these days I can check out that ballpark.

I've never been there during a game but have gone twice in the offseason to eat aty the TGIFridays that hangs over left field. It's an awesome piece of engineering and I love how they leave a lot of the functional moving parts of the roof and hydraulics exposed for you to see. You really get the sense that you're inside a Transformer.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I've never been there during a game but have gone twice in the offseason to eat aty the TGIFridays that hangs over left field. It's an awesome piece of engineering and I love how they leave a lot of the functional moving parts of the roof and hydraulics exposed for you to see. You really get the sense that you're inside a Transformer.

It's a cool park to see a game at. It's pretty damned big inside. They let you hang out after the game while they cycle the roof closed hen open. Its crazy to see something that big move over your head.

hwkn

Oct 14, 2008
Evanston,IL
The only problem with Miller park's roof is it doesn't close completely so if they have an early/late season game where's it's around 30 or so degrees they can only heat the inside to around 50 degrees.[not like the other domes where they can be heated to 72 degrees or thereabouts]

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
50 is still better than several of the Tigers home openers that I've been to where it's snowing out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
50 is still better than several of the Tigers home openers that I've been to where it's snowing out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just wait til my Pirates have home field advantage in the World Series in October!!!

Cold, Cold, Cold!!

(wishful thinking, I know.)

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
Baseball should never ever be played indoors on concrete. I went to an Astros game years ago in the Astrodome (mid 80's) and I left after the 3rd inning after a batter hit a Baltimore chop and it landed in center field.

This is what a Ballpark should look like

oriolepark.jpg

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I always thought it would be cool to go into the SkyDome. A hotel, retractable roof and McDonalds. What more do you need? :clap:

zack_rogers_centre_hotel.jpg

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's not baseball. Fenway Park is baseball. This is abomination!

Amen. Wrigley will always be my favorite. Fenway is high on my list. The problem with Fenway is no beer sales in the stands. THAT is not baseball.

I'm going to run for mayor of Boston (After my 8 years of being President of These United States of America is over) strictly on the platform of "Beer sales at your seat as Fenway." I'm a shoe in. They like a nice beer in Boston, and they love their Sox.

HecticArt/Casual Fan 2012 - The Great American Pastime

I'd say the baseball experience at Skydome from opening to about 1995 was it's own version of baseball heaven. 50,000 ecstatic fans watching a team stacked with talent in every position.

The lack of intimacy, or the hotel monolith and non-baseball distractions are really not much worse there than any other new park with their five decks of suites and 150 foot high "upper reserved" seats.

That said, I wonder how long it will be before the Jays start pushing for a new stadium. If they could demolish Riverfront and Three Rivers barely 30 years after breaking ground for them....