I Put My New Shoes On

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So I went and bought new good shoes for the first time in a long time and of course it turned into a saga.

I usually buy cheap, $20 Walmart shoes. For some reason I have no qualms about spending hundreds on various watches but doing the same for shoes makes me uneasy. I decided to get a fresh pair of Birkenstocks. I haven't worn them since I was doing my Phish hippie thing in high school, where I would sport them even in the dead of Philly winter.

I Googled where to get them and DSW came up. I went there and bought a pair for $99. Got home, was happy with my purchase and then went to Disney in them the next day. After a full day of wear I realize they are the fake leather kind and it starts to drive me nuts. So I figure I'll return them, but I toil over this decision. It just seemed wrong to return shoes I wore for a full Disney day. Before I made the return attempt I did some proper research and found a Birkenstock store near me and went and bought the correct, real suede leather Arizona style Birks for $120. So now I'm $220 into this shoe venture and that is way too much. This return is constantly on my mind. After worrying about it pretty much all day at work Sat I go and try to return the OG pair and guess what...it was no issue at all. The nice DSW lady took them back with no questions asked.

IDK, I guess this is a dumb story but at the end of the day I now have a sweet pair of Birks that will probably last me a year. Good times.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My shoes usually last me 2 years. I go ask for the same model each time. If I had to get new ones it would be a nightmare. It would take a week to find shoes that fit. My left foot is a 10.5 wide. My right is 11 and narrow. Without buying 2 pairs of shoes it is hard to find a pair that fits both.

Nothing wrong with good shoes. But remember people may chuckle at you for a huge watch collection. But they will downright laugh at you for a shoe collection.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

Wolf

The Lone Wolf
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
This thread smells. :p

I wouldn't recommend buying $20 shoes. You use your feet everyday, I would buy a good quality shoes. I wouldn't buy anything that is to fancy or break the bank. I usually buy my shoes from Famous Footwear, I prefer to buy Nike or Skechers.

I mostly where Skechers because they are very comfy and cost anywhere between $50 - 70 bucks. I don't own a big shoe collection, buy I mostly have tennis, hiking, leather and a construction set whenever I have to go out in the field.

Also my shoes usually last me about 2 years.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I coach and just never bought a new pair. The boys were younger so I could get away with normal trainers.

Since my athletes are more high-speed now, I need to keep up and not slip.

I assume you are going to be playing soccer?

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Meme brings up a good point. How may shoes do you all have?

I have 4.

My office shoes, a pair of sneakers, a pair of And1 sandals I've had for 6 years and my new Birks.

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

Wolf

The Lone Wolf
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
Since hyson bought soccer shoes and he's moving to Florida. We need to get Koop into that sport.

Reactions: hyson

Wolf

The Lone Wolf
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
This is probably my new favorite thread. I don't know why I can see Meme and Koop doing something like this.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have 12 shoes (6 pair):
— 1 pair for everyday
— 1 pair at the office if I need to wear boots in (add 2 if you count boots)
— 1 pair for the gym
(all above are same brand and model : Brooks)
— 1 pair of sandals (I technically have an old pair I never use anymore because my wife won’t let me)
— 1 pair of water shoes
— 1 pair of dress shoes for when I wear my suit

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Decent shoes are important.

I probably have more than 20 pairs, but I have several pairs in the back of the closet that I should get rid of.
I probably have 10 or 12 pairs that I wear most of the time, but I've got a few pairs that I only break out once and a while. (Red high-top Chucks, black checkered Chucks, snow boots, and someplace I've still got the snake skin high-tops I bought for prom.)

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
I can't imagine not having a lot of shoes. I have 2 regulars for winter - a hiking sneaker and boots, various summer work shoes, loafers, light boat shoes, and about a half dozen Pumas. Plus 2 pairs of sandals and dress shoes.

The day I buy Skechers (or Crocs) is when I go to my 1st Nickelback concert.