IdRatherBeSkiing's Top 20 (Sunday, June 21st, 2020 version)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
In the spirit of sadchild's list. Here is mine. Less suspense.

My top 20 song playlist as of today (I periodically edit and adjust):

20. Joey - Concrete Blonde
19 . Melody - The Boy's Brigade
18. Turn The Page - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
17. Roll Me Away - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
16. Nightflight To Venus / Rasputin - Boney M
15. Walk Of Life - Dire Straits
14. Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
13. American Pie - Don McLean
12. Still The Same - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
11. Losing My Religion - REM
10. Hallelujah - Lenard Cohen
9. Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond (bah bah bah)
8. Hotel California - Eagles
7. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
6. Night Moves - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
5. Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
4. Against The Wind - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
3. Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
2. Take It Easy - Eagles
1. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Great list! Good call on "Joey", great song. Is Cohen's original version of Hallelujah your favorite, as opposed to one of the many covers, like Buckley's?

I don't know the #19 song
The original. As is Ring of Fire although the version by Social Distortion is also great. Like all the versions of Halleluliah. There are appearently 84 different verses Cohen wrote and has done in various shows (verse choice I guess depends on mood).

#19 is a rare Canadian song. A bit exotaric.

Reactions: sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Mrs Scotch is a mega fan of Seger, 2nd only to Mellencamp. Turn the Page is one of the greats. As is American Pie, Hotel California, and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Segar's presence is more prominent since seeing him live twice in 2019. I also like JCM, My favourite would be Pink Houses. Not quite top 20 for me though. Mrs. Skiing hates JCM. I can never listen to him while she is in the car.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Tony DeFries managed David Bowie from 1970 to 1975, then became John Mellencamp's manager. He arranged for the release of Mellencamp's debut album, Chestnut Street Incident, but renamed him "Johnny Cougar" because Mellencamp sounded "too German." The album was released on MCA but sold so poorly, they canceled plans to release his second album and dropped him from the label. He then signed with UK label Riva Records and continued to record as John Cougar until 1983 when he began calling himself John Cougar Mellencamp. In 1991, he dropped "Cougar" from his name. It should never have been part of his name to begin with.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Fantastic song. I've loved since it came out. May have to add it to my ever-growing 500+ fav songs of all time. They've got some other awesome tunes like "Jesus Forgive Me (For The Things I'm About To Say)", "God Is A Bullet", "Jenny I Read" and one other song I can't post about (yet.....)

I'd never heard it before either. My first impression, it's kinda like Bowie imitating Lou Reed while fronting Dire Straits as they play a Billy Idol song. And that's a good thing.

There are a lot of songs that I've heard way too much, so I don't listen to them anymore. This is one of them. But I still know what a great song it is. It's tough to write a song that so eloquently expresses the downside of a good thing, and this one nails it. "Behind Blue Eyes" is another example. People see a rock star and think it's all just fun times and easy living. This pulls back the curtain and shows you what you don't see in the heart and mind of that star on the stage.

This one doesn't speak to me above and beyond the bulk of the Seger catalog, but it's still quality, quintessential Seger. Like Springsteen, Seger had a lot of stories to tell and he told them all so well. My personal favorite Seger story will show up, eventually....

I'll comment on more later. Drrrrag it out a little bit ;)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
There are a lot of songs that I've heard way too much, so I don't listen to them anymore. This is one of them. But I still know what a great song it is. It's tough to write a song that so eloquently expresses the downside of a good thing, and this one nails it. "Behind Blue Eyes" is another example. People see a rock star and think it's all just fun times and easy living. This pulls back the curtain and shows you what you don't see in the heart and mind of that star on the stage.

This was at one point the highest Seger song on my list. It has lost a bit of its appeal over time. But still a great tune and worthy of top 20 status.

I'll comment on more later. Drrrrag it out a little bit ;)

That's great. It is good to hear other peoples thoughts good or bad. I expect lots of flack for #14 for example. :)

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
hmm. looking over that list there 9 songs that i too love. also, you're a big bob seger guy. cool.

good rem choice but if i think rem my first thought is always night swimming. it's just, like, pretty art. like looking at a painting but with your ears.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
@IdRatherBeSkiing Oh don't worry, I've got some songs on my top 333 that will have people throwing rocks at me lol! But hey, everyone deserves a few guilty pleasures.

Here are some of my potentially embarrassing songs I wouldn't admit to liking without first having chicken wire installed (a la Blues Brothers). These come from the unnumbered groups of songs below #333:

Bing Crosby/David Bowie "Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy"
Bob Carlisle "Butterfly Kisses"
D12 "My Band"
Extreme "More Than Words"
Four Seasons "December 1963 (Oh What a Night)"
Gerardo "Rico Suave"
Herman's Hermits "I'm Into Something Good"
Joe Walsh "Space Age Whiz Kids"
KLF & Tammy Wynette "Justified and Ancient"
Kris Kross "I Missed The Bus"
Kris Kross "Jump"
Paul Young & Clannad "Both Sides Now"
Prince "The Arms Of Orion"
Rod Stewart "Forever Young"

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
ok, so we are doing embarrassing songs we love now?

i have admitted before that i am not afraid to embrace a musical. specifically grease or hair or jesus christ superstar or any 90's disney cartoon.

the show community did some fun takes on musicals (mostly about christmas or teasing the show glee) too.

"santa invented spielberg and microchips"...hahahah.

Last edited:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana

2. Take It Easy - Eagles

Okay, I checked out the #19 song. It's not bad at all. I see why you like it.
Against the Wind is my favorite Seger song also. Turn the Page is a classic. Also love Shame on the Moon and some of the others you mentioned.

Come on Eileen is classic 80's. Nothing wrong with that song. You'll see far more embarrassing songs if I type up a list someday. :)

Born to Run - both the song and the entire album is just epic goodness. The title track, Jungleland, Thunder Road, Tenth-Avenue Freeze-Out. All great. And lately the one song I've been listening to a lot is one of the least played songs on that album - Meeting Across the River. It's more of a quiet dark type of song, lots of atmosphere.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Coincidentally, I would also pick Nightswimming as my favorite REM song. Although Radio Free Europe has a lot of meaning for me. When I saw the Police at Shea Stadium on the Synchronicity tour ('83), Joan Jett opened for them. And REM opened for the opener. They played in front of the stage curtain, like a nobody band.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
ok, the past 15 or so mins have taken me down a much more embarrassing path of modern teen musicals/grease knockoffs that i have never seen before but kinda dig now.

apparently there were 2 of these movies.

i need to get back to some sci fi dramas or something or i may just be lost forever.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

2. Take It Easy - Eagles
I've got about 8 on the list. It would be more, but FM radio killed Seger for me.
Joey is great. CB's Walking in London and Bloodletting (The Vampire Song) are killer and super heavy.