IdRatherBeSkiing's Top 424 as of 2020/08/30

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
The story of Katrina and the Waves did not end well; (Katrina) Leskanich says she was fired in 1998. Lawyers were involved, and she says she no longer gets a share of the money made from "Walking on Sunshine." But she does still sing it.

Interesting.

Also interesting, five years ago the band sold the song.

The song has just been acquired by BMG, the Bertelsmann-owned music company, for £10m. As part of the deal, the German company, which declined to comment on the purchase price, has acquired the rights to every song written by Katrina & The Waves and the band’s main songwriter, Kimberley Rew ... Its sale comes amid a fierce debate about the value of music, with artists and songwriters squaring up to a new generation of music streaming services about their share of the pie.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I started this post this morning before my internet went AWOL.

374. All Night Long (All Night) - Lionel Richie
Love all his upbeat music. Has an feel good tone.

373. Drugs In My Pocket - The Monks
Just a cool punkish sort of song from 1980.

372. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Not much to say. This song is usually at the top of most countdowns. Only 372 on mine.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
374. All Night Long (All Night) - Lionel Richie

Liked it back in the day but like it more now. Should probably be on my "expanding beyond 500+" list.

Yep. It's high on mine, won't get to it for a while. Not top 20, but definitely up there.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I finally got to listen to Drugs In My Pocket.
I like it!
Don‘t think I’ve heard it before, but I wish I had. It’s just a fun little groove. It should be in a dozen movie soundtracks.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This reminds me of the comment from Channel98 that he only enjoys upbeat music. He doesn't like hard rock, or grunge, or psychedelia, or somber music. Of course, my tastes are very different from that.
That comment was specifically designed for Lionel Richie. I don't like his ballads as much (Endless Love is on my worst songs list (if I had one)).

Yep. It's high on mine, won't get to it for a while. Not top 20, but definitely up there.

I said at the start all these songs are ***** in my iTunes library. That seemed like a good place to start. Stairway is a great song but holds no emotional connection to me. It was the song played at the end of all high school dances but I never once danced to it. It is also not better for me than 371 other songs. Thus it winds up at 372.

Another thing this list has highlighted for me is how many **** are great and not on my list. I should start an also-ran thread. I think they might be like your 500+ list.

Anyway, on with the countdown if I may quote Kasey Kasem.

371. Take It on the Run - REO Speedwagon
I just love the melody of this song. Haven't seen the video before. I must say I like it for some reason.

370. Once Bitten Twice Shy - Great White
A great power ballad.

369. Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr.
Who ya gonna call? Loved the movie and the song.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Haven't seen the video before. I must say I like it for some reason.
Lol! They just dispensed with any thought of developing a premise.
"So what do you want the hot chicks to do?"
"Doesn't matter".
Who ya gonna call? Loved the movie and the song.
I like it better the first time it was released

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I like it better the first time it was released

It's not the same song. I know it was similar based upon somebody telling Ray they wanted a song that sounded like "I Want a New Drug" when Huey turned down the offer to do their title. Obviously it was similar enough to warrant court action. Interestingly enough part of the original settlement was a NDA which in 2015 Huey violated so Ray is now taking Huey back to court.

At any rate, I much prefer the second version. The first is only *** in my library.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
It's not the same song. I know it was similar based upon somebody telling Ray they wanted a song that sounded like "I Want a New Drug" when Huey turned down the offer to do their title. Obviously it was similar enough to warrant court action. Interestingly enough part of the original settlement was a NDA which in 2015 Huey violated so Ray is now taking Huey back to court.

At any rate, I much prefer the second version. The first is only *** in my library.
It's basically the same song, except Huey's version rocks and is original. But you go ahead and defend Ray Parker, after all, he went on to do great things, right?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It's basically the same song, except Huey's version rocks and is original. But you go ahead and defend Ray Parker, after all, he went on to do great things, right?
I prefer Ray's version to Huey's. I can see similarities but ONLY once the whole lawsuit came out. They sound different to me.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Liked it as a teen, but REO somehow lost all their appeal with me in the 90s.

370. Once Bitten Twice Shy - Great White

Great cover (better than the original). Not a 'power ballad' to me, though.

I needed the similarity pointed out to me between "Drug" and "Busters". But once it was pointed out (probably in the early 2000s) I could hear it for sure. But they're still different enough for me to like them separately (I'd call them both 'pretty good'). Kinda like when I found out the intro to "Stairway To Heaven" was ripped off from a band that opened for them. Artists have been photocopying each other for ages. I don't like it, but if it's different enough I try to let it slide. Except for Green Day, the kings of plagiarism, who insist on stealing from others for pretty much every song they "create".

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I hope today's selections are less controversial. As far as I know, none of these artists are involved in any legal action. But I am not a lawyer. I do not play one on TV. And I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

368. All Right Now - Free
Nice simple rock song.

367. Hippy Hippy Shake - The Georgia Satellites
Another feel good song on my countdown.

366. Doin It Right - The Powder Blues Band
A song from winter of 1980. I had just left my disco phase and plunged full into my harder rock phase. This song came on the radio and helped the transition (even though it is not pure rock). And yes, they are Canadian.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
368. All Right Now - Free

Classic

367. Hippy Hippy Shake - The Georgia Satellites

Aside from the 80s channel, it's another forgotten song that shouldn't be forgotten!

366. Doin It Right - The Powder Blues Band

First time hearing it. Fun and rockin', but I get turned off from songs that follow the exact 12-bar blues progression, there's a billion of them.