IdRatherBeSkiing's Top 424 as of 2020/08/30

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
410. Magic - Olivia Newton John
Loved most of the stuff on Xanadu soundtrack including this one.

409. Jack & Dianne - John Mellencamp
This this little ditty has been covered in multiple threads. This low on the 424 due to a bit of overplay.

408. Jane Says - Jane's Addiction
Good song. FIrst time seeing the video. They look goofy.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I love that song Magic by Olivia.

That song has crazy chords for a pop song.

b1ed07f5725b88e3abb8a229fb9fe074.jpg

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Interesting how complex the chords are for "Magic". Had no idea.

I loved Xanadu back in the day. Its songs are no longer any of my favorites, but I still get a nostalgia vibe from a lot of them. We're bound to hear some tracks from it this coming weekend, because the VJ Big 40 will be all about 1980.

"Jack & Diane" will be coming up on my 333. Classic!

Never got into "Jane Says". I worked at a grocery store back in '90 and somebody told me he didn't like "Been Caught Stealing" but liked their previous album Nothing's Shocking. He lent me the cassette and the only song I liked was "Pigs In Zen". I liked the demo version of "Had A Dad" from the "Stealing" single better than the LP version.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Interesting how complex the chords are for "Magic". Had no idea.

I loved Xanadu back in the day. Its songs are no longer any of my favorites, but I still get a nostalgia vibe from a lot of them. We're bound to hear some tracks from it this coming weekend, because the VJ Big 40 will be all about 1980.

"Jack & Diane" will be coming up on my 333. Classic!

Never got into "Jane Says". I worked at a grocery store back in '90 and somebody told me he didn't like "Been Caught Stealing" but liked their previous album Nothing's Shocking. He lent me the cassette and the only song I liked was "Pigs In Zen". I liked the demo version of "Had A Dad" from the "Stealing" single better than the LP version.
This song is the only song I have of theirs that is digitized. I likely have the CD but found the rest of the tracks uninteresting. This song is from "Nothing Shocking".

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Those really are crazy chords.
I had to look up the D7b5.
A lot of times you'll see crazy chords written down, and then realize it's as simple as shifting one finger while the rest stay put. Summer of 69 is like that.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Those really are crazy chords.
I had to look up the D7b5.
A lot of times you'll see crazy chords written down, and then realize it's as simple as shifting one finger while the rest stay put. Summer of 69 is like that.
Does that look crazy when you do it? Maybe it makes you look spastic. So it may mean you just look crazy playing them. I am not a guitar player so I wouldn't know.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
One of the side effects of making this list is that when I hear a good song, I ask where is that on my 424. I check and then I find that song was only **** in my library so not on my list.

407. Spirit in the Sky - Norm Greebbaum
This song I think came out in the early 70s. I virtually ignored it until it was put on the Wayne's World soundtrack in the early 90s. Now it is on my list

406. Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
If Queen had said yes to Stallone, would we even know who Survivor was today? Queen said no so here they are. Here is the Rocky version of the song complete with the whole storyline of Rocky III. I saved you 2 hours if you chose to rewatch.

405. Twist and Shout - The Beatles
This entry may surprise some on here. There will likely be at least one more surprise as well. Best version of this song is from Ferris Beuler. I think that is the original song all lip synced. But sounds pretty close if not. At any rate, I do like the original song as well.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
404. The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
This song is a history lesson and a nice folk classic. They did a documentary about the wreck several years ago and used this song throughout. He took no liberties with the facts of the wreck which is amazing writing. When I used to drive to SK in the summer we would take the American route which ran us through Michigan's upper peninsula along the southern edge of Lake Superior. We would always play this song somewhere along the route.

403. Wasn't That a Party - The Irish Rovers (or The Rovers)
The Irish Rovers had changed their name to The Rovers by 1980 in order to be more hip. Their bread and butter was Irish folk songs in the 60s and 70s. I believe they are a Canadian group. I believe a sample of their earlier work will be heard later on in this countdown. This song is just plain funny. It has good lyrics and tune but it is ***** because of it's humourous nature.

402. You Suck - Murmurs
Another example of humour in lyrics gets you on the 424.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
406. Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

Yep! My #201

405. Twist and Shout - The Beatles

Yep! Not on my 500+ but still a great song. High energy!

404. The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot

I don't go out of my way for this one, but like @scotchandcigar said it's a great story song and I find it interesting, so I listen to it once in a while when it comes my way. I've known a few that people that hate it, and have never understood why.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
401. Betty Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
In the summer of 1981 you couldn't turn on the radio without hearing this song. She has a catchy vocal twang which drew me to the song. It was also part of the music of 1981 which got me through my summer of hell in Kindersley, SK. The money was good for a summer job but the location was boring and I had a roommate (technically landlord) who escaped from that hell by smoking up hash and singing and playing his guitar. Neither of which he did well. He is also the reason that the stupid horse whose rider was too stupid to give him a name while riding through the desert remains my all time #1 despised song to this day. Anyway, back to the song. Here it is.

400. The Heart of Rock & Roll - Huey Lewis & The News
We break the 400 with a nice little rock n roll tune. The station I listened to it in Regina used to slip in Regina in the names somewhere. I think a lot of stations did that.

399. Grade 9 - Barenaked Ladies
A song about everybody's experience with Grade 9

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Inspired by Jon, a Labour Day bonus. My next 3 songs.

398. Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
Not much to say. Cool tune.

397. Don't Do Me Like That - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
This song came out in the Winter/spring of 1980. It was my intro into Tom Petty. Part of my life where my tastes shifted from a pop/disco mix (disco died in 1979 so I had a void) to a more pure rock bias.

396. Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chung
Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
All six two thumbs up in my book!

I just posted somewhere about how I didn't want to admit I liked Duran Duran in high school. Guess I wasn't the only one!

BNL "Grade 9":
I went out for the football team to prove that I'm a man
I guess I shouldn't tell them that I like Duran Duran